WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Brisbane, Queensland in Austalia

Hails from Australia
Post 9H-9B Pencil Set Gradation Grid Reference

Hi all,

I just bought myself a Derwent 24 pencil set which as y'all know has 20 tones in all .... 9H down to 9B. My lecturer said to do it so i would realise the potential of them and practice increasing tonal sensitivity etc..... so i made a lil grid pattern showing the lightest to darkest i could get each pencil with a single direction of hatches (eg just the 1 diagonal). I think i'll find this very useful as a reference in future and will prolly print a copy to take with me in my sketchpad etc. So any noobs like me just starting.... get a good range of pencils like this and DO THE GRID... seriously it may seem boring at first but its very cool once you get the hang of doing it properly and will help y'all heaps.

And also, I'm trying to convince a major NON noob.. resident genius Axl to get herself a set of 9h-9b pencils as she's done soo amazingly so far with only a few from 2b-8b ( i think) and she could go astronomical with the greater range of tone possible with these.

Here it is.... keeping in mind that some of the lighter tones didnt' come out too well but i managed to get the lighest shade to barely be noticeable on teh paper.. there are no actual plain white boxes..... but i got really damn close!

Meep.

9H-9B Pencil Set Gradation Grid Reference

Hope someone finds it useful
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 09:03 AM
virginia

Hails from United States
This is helpful, thank you!

I was wondering if anyone else uses a Ebony pencil and where it falls on this grid?? I know its dark, but is it darker than the 9B?? I actually like my ebony but don't hear many people talk about it so was curious!

Thanks again!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia
Hi SierraHD

I can't answer that question myself, sorry as i dont know what an ebony pencil is lol. Ideally if u have the time it woudln't hurt to grab all of your drawing mediums pencils charcoal etc and do one bigass collection of them all on one page for easy reference... you really need to see each medium to as some might technically be the same grade but look completely different etc. You might wanna spray it with fixative too so it doesn't smudge but more importantly to get an accurate idea of how the tones will end up looking after u fix ur works..rather than just while your drawing if that makes sense? Hope someone can answer your question.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
What a great idea! This is very helpful! I have just started fooling with graphite (portraits) as a bit of a break from my usual coloured pencil work...grpahite works very differently from cp and I am not at all familiar with it in any kind of serious way. It's taking me some time to get to know my pencils, but I know a grid like this will be a huge help. I just recently bought myself all the pencils between 5H - 6B...and want to buy the rest! Thanks for this idea

My Art

"What you are is God's gift to you. What you do with what you are is your gift to God." ~~ George Foster
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 02:58 PM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Nice job on the grid!! I'm sure it will come in handy for your graphite work When you were making this up, did you apply varied pressure with each pencil to achieve the different values? If you did, then you would be leaving impressions on your paper in the area that you applied hard pressure to get your values, leaving an impression that would show up when shading over it. I prefer to use layers of graphite to achieve the different values. That way I don't have to apply hard pressure to the paper.

This is what I use for my graphite and charcoal work. I picked this up at a local art supply store for about $5.00 Canadian. I use it to determine my values when using black and white photo references. It works well for me

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Tan Valley, Arizona

Hails from United States
Sierra I love my EBONY!!! Nice silky dark darks - but I only use it for that - the darks never draw a whole pic with it - and it falls down to the 9b or so as its used - i don't know how it rates exactly.

TJ
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2003, 06:36 PM
virginia

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by pencils4me
Sierra I love my EBONY!!! Nice silky dark darks - but I only use it for that - the darks never draw a whole pic with it - and it falls down to the 9b or so as its used - i don't know how it rates exactly.

TJ

Exactly... my Ebony is the last pencil I use on my work... If I have the ebony in hand I am almost done. I just go back and darken my darkest w/ it, seems to give it that final touch. You are so right, I was trying to think how to decribe what it was I liked about it, I think you decribed it well.... "silky dark darks".
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2003, 02:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia
Lissa... glad this has helped u somehow... i've said your recent graphite portrait... ur kickass already without any grid lol

Artdude, i think i remember reading a demo thing u did for drawing.. thanks for that.... and good comment..... true i should do another with the same pressure as well as i what i have now... i did want to see how scratchy and deep i could get with pressure for this first one though cause i didnt' know the real difference between teh grades and wanted to feel them out if u see. So good point, i'll prolly do another one later and looking into getting that value thingy.. looks sweet. thanks.

WHAT THE HELL IS AN EBONY PENCIL?

Thanks for all your posts
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2003, 11:40 AM
virginia

Hails from United States
WHAT THE HELL IS AN EBONY PENCIL?

LOL Petdevils!!! Well its a pencil that usually comes in its own package of just one or two. Made by "Design" ! It says "Ebony jet black extra smooth" on it. Thats all I can tell ya, not real sure how I got my first one, can't remember if it was a gift or required for art in high school, but I do know I have been using them since then. If ya manage to find one where you are, and try it out, let me know what you think about it!

Have a good one!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2003, 01:29 PM

Hails from United States
its the darkest shadows in my sphere avatar.