WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Winnipeg

Hails from Canada
preparing for an art show?

Hi Everyone

I don't know if this is the right place, but could not find another forum.

I paint with acrylic on canvas. A local art supply store is having an evening in which customers can show and sell their art.

I have never been involved in any shows. I usually give art away or hang it in my own house. I am now ready for the next step.

Can someone tell me how to prepare my canvas for such a show, and how would I price them? They are unframed, but the edges are painted black. Do I have to make some sort of description card beside each art work? Should I keep a series together? How do I describe the artwork? Do I have to "wire" them for hanging?

I really don't think I will sell anything as there will be many other excellent artists involved, but I think the "exercise" would be good experience. If I sold even one, I would be thrilled!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum, please move it to the correct area.

thanks very much.

Jan in Canada
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States
Re: preparing for an art show?

You could also post this in the art business forum. According to your own words, you are barely ready to sell IMHO. You need to write an artists statement, business cards, postcards (optional). Have you got your resume ready? Do you have a placard telling folks who you are and other such information. Is it free standing or capable of being hung or free standing.

You need to present the work in a manner you can live with. If that means painting edges black, then by all means do so. Some don't like that look while others won't do without it.

Have you worked out the details of how the works are going to be displayed. What do you need to provide and what does the venue supply.

Wired to hang, absolutely.

Framing if needed.

Lighting, who provides and what kind. If you do it, then be sure to have some lighting available. I would have name cards for each work.

Pricing is going to be based on your locale. Have you read the 10 rules of pricing by Robert Genn. They are a good guideline. I always say to investigate the local market, find works of similar skill and content and price accordingly if not maybe a tad lower to start with. You, at this point, are an unproven commodity and need to establish a reputation.

Do you have a verbal conversation of about 10 to 15 seconds to give a brief description about why you paint, how, subject, etc.

Hope that is a start to your questions.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Last edited by idylbrush : 06-29-2011 at 02:12 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
A Local Legend

Re: preparing for an art show?

Jan

very good advise above......they must be wired, ready to take home and hang on the wall.........the black around the sides gives it a modern look....some people like and some don't but they can always be popped into a frame.....tell the people that......

and be on your toes, don't sit there reading a book.....tell them about the painting, scene etc, even if it's B.S.......they like a story....

been doing this since before you were born and I never wrote an artist statement......your work is your statement.....'here it is world, enjoy'!

get a handle on pricing by attending other shows and seeing what the going prices are.....but leave yourself room to deal....when the NYC crowd comes to town, they insist on a 'deal', so you have to bargain with them....they go away happy and you go to the bank happy....a win, win situation....

best of luck....do the shows....you will learn....experience is the best teacher.....