WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

Hi All, I thought I'd post this here as well. It is my July spotlight painting done on Mi Tientes Paper (rough side) 8x10. I used predominantly Pan Pastels with Pastel Pencils. Any suggestions you may have that would help me improve this painting would be helpful. Thank you. Cali
Attached Images

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Through the generosity of one of our WC forum members, I now have the proper tools to work with - I thought I would post this first try at each tool (to see what the strokes look like) and for others who are contemplating trying them out.

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Suffolk countryside, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiver
Beautiful work here with the Pan Pastels!
I got some because Berni said they would be less dusty (allergies). I found them dusty anyway and told her that; she replied that I was maybe swiping them too many times and should stick to a couple of swipes. That does seem to help.
Here are some of my efforts, all WDE entries on black Canson, rough side, around 8x10. I used some black softie on the barn door (before I got a black PP), a tiny bit of coloured pencil on the gator, an eraser for the Central Park branches, and forget if there was anything extra on the grapes.

I can't say I'm comfortable with them yet, but they are fun on the black Canson. I do miss using soft pastels and hope the PPs will satisfy my craving a bit.
Fabulous work Wendy...love the palette and the effects
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels &
Still Life
Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I can't believe all of the vibrant colors people are achieving with pans. I just this morning tried pans at my teacher's (Mira White) studio and got very frustrated with them.

Used them first on PastelMat, then on Stonehenge and used the wedge shaped tools provided and some harder rubber ones that Mira bought. Found that I couldn't get them to layer (or build up a dense color)...every layer I put on rubbed off the layer prior (and I consider myself to have a fairly soft touch).

Had no better luck sort of tapping it on...they don't seem to be that densely pigmented? I can see them working well for underpainting...I think my approach may be all wrong...
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States

Chaus2, I wish I could give you some suggestions, but I too, am experimenting. I don't even have all my pure colors yet. The mountain was done with a combination of Burnt Sienna and Red Iron Oxide family of colors. And then, who knows what else. Not very professional. As I said, just experimenting. It seems to be working though. Cali
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I think there may be a steep learning curve with these, so I wouldn't be so hard on yourself Chuas.

Did your teacher have the proper tools like I showed above? The first time I used Pans, I had a very small tool and it didn't work all that well.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Living in Amherst, NY, but from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

My advice is not to think the same way with Pans. Let's see...it's easier to show than tell it. First off, get enough pastel on the sponge, taking three or four nice juicy swipes at the Pan. Then PUSH it into the paper with a stroke. Load, push, slight stroke. Load, push, slight stroke.

DON'T rub, don't blend, just keep pushing pastel in with the larger sponge applicators. On the Pastelmat I find the layers build up nicely until I'm able to do some moving with the sponge. If you have time, watch the PanPastel demo I did and see how at first you can see the shape of the sponge applicator and it's sort of side stroke on the paper, but after it gets built up I can begin to lightly blend. (There are also some good short videos that show the use of the tools and the product quite clearly.)

If you use the sponge to blend too soon, you get this thin gruel of color that seems so very wimpy, compared to the sticks, and if you layer and blend too many different values you get mud almost instantly. Thin, gruelish mud. Not good.

It is a learning curve. They work so differently, but they can be brilliant.
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Deborah........just purchased the entire set of Pan Pastels......so be prepared for my questions .........I volunteered to give a demo and lecture on the Pans to our local Art Association(250 members) next Febuary.....so I have some time to 'play' and 'pick your lovely brain'.....you bet I will have a 'zillion' questions for you....have a great day.....'blue....'
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 07:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Brilliant demo Deborah ... I enjoyed that very much!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I wish I had watched the video before I tried these Deborah, much appreciated! First, I can see that you really load the applicator, and use sort of a patting, and pressing method. I'm giving these another try.

I bought a couple sheets of Colourfix Suede, and I'm thinking they might work well on this surface. But I agree, there's a bit of a learning curve (as there are to stick pastels as well). Thanks much for the encouragement too Kathryn!
Chuas
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Have fun, blue. I'll answer what I can.

Thanks, Kat. I thought you'll had seen this video since I did it so long ago. I hate tooting my own horn or posting the same things over and over...but I'm glad I mentioned it.

Yeah, give them some time and play around with them to find out what they do, Chuas. If you're thinking stick pastels when you use Pans you end up feeling lost! They are the same medium, and quite rich and deep in color, but the application process is far removed. I don't know about the C-Fix Suede. I haven't tried it. Let me know...
Gouache
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Reisterstown, MD

Hails from United States

Hi all, I've decided to add to my collection of pastels ..watched your Demo video Debora and thank you for your guidance! I am sold on the transparency and the blend ability of these pan pastels..way kool for skies,clouds,and everything in between..I love the P-Mat and I will try other paper colors besides white..Linda
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Bradenton, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi All and especially Deborah,
The Pastel Society of Milwaukee is having a show of photos from CoPA and an artist's interpretation of that photo. I selected a photo that depicts stormy clouds. The attached is my practice run. I could use your input as to what I can do to improve my work. This was done on RIVES BFK White and the size is 16x12 using Pan Pastels. When I do the final, it will be on Pastelmat. I'm waiting for that order to come in. Thank you for a your critique. Please don't hold back. Thank you.
Attached Images

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Reisterstown, MD

Hails from United States

spirothet, love your color choices! there are alot of sharp edges in the clouds ..they tend to be soft and fluffy and shadow definitions,because of bouncing light thru out..love your color on the hills are they the distant or mid ground?still a lovely sketch.Linda
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I think you have a good strong theme going there, Cali, and the color choices are good. Clouds are so ethereal it's hard to capture the structure sometimes, but they do have structure! If you can further analyze them, look for the bottoms of the clouds where you can see them. At sunset they often have light hitting at a lower angle or on the bottom. Shadows will help define the light on the clouds.

Also, I try to respect the idea that there are smaller shapes nearer the bottom of the sky, which helps give scale to the looming clouds billowing overhead.

If I was given the image above, I think I might do a vertical piece of the left side, showing the light on the mountains and up that shaft of orange cloud. Just a thought, as I don't know your parameters.

You might check the cloud chapter or the sunset chapter in my online book, too. I hope that's helpful!
Gouache

Last edited by Deborah Secor : 07-20-2011 at 04:02 PM.