WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

I agree, blue, they do about 90% or so very well, but fine "kitten hair" (great description, Robert) strokes need other materials. I never think of Pans as a medium unto itself, just another form of pastels! I've found that the little wedge sponge is one of my most useful Pan tools, too, and once the layering is in place using the edge of the wedge makes 'grassy' strokes between colors nicely. I honestly don't use the "paintbrush" tools that much. Remember you can shape the straight edges of a sponge by bending and scrunching it up.

Carmel, if you watch the video on the Panpastels site where I do the sunset you'll see some shots of how I load my sponges. I was using the large round sponge mostly, but I use the same means of loading any of the tools. Don't dig down, just swipe across the top at least two or three times, and don't neglect the edges. It's easy to make a trough in the pan if you dig in with a smaller sponge in the same spot repeatedly (just as you can in blusher putting on your make up!) If you make too much of a hole the edges start to collapse, giving you more powder than you need and wasting the product.

You can mix together multiple colors by swiping across one, then the next, then the next. The pans are easily cleaned off when needed with a swipe of a clean(er) sponge. (Someone should show that in a video. Hmmm, bet it's already shown on the Pan site.)

Hope that helps!
Gouache Blog
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
A Local Legend

Deborah, Robert, Carmel and Everyone Else

as you play with your Pans, as Deborah points out, you will develop favorite tools that work for you.......for my recent demo, I did a series of large cloud paintings over the ocean and bays and utilized the rectangular tool for the final blending.....it was so flexible in my hand I decided to do a entire painting with it......a small one for me(16"x20"),,,,,,vase of white/pink flowers on a black pastelmat.....leaves, flowers, vase, etc. all done with the rectangular tool....I like the painting with a tool idea.....new methods to develop, materials to try, exciting painting......give it a go, I'm sure you will enjoy your new creative endevors.......

'blue.....
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Blue, why don't you show us your work? I know we'd benefit from seeing it!
Gouache Blog
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I'll second that! Please do post your Pans paintings here. I'd love to see those flowers on black Pastelmat, that sounds so beautiful.

Today I got up on my hind legs and made the changes that Johannes Vloothuis suggested in his critiques on both these waterfall paintings. Here's the Tall Waterfall that I did in the first demo again:

I added a little more white at the top of the waterfall where it's splashing over the edge and mostly worked on the too-regular cliffs on the left, breaking them up into a more musical line by cutting into them with sky color. I also gradated the sky because I realized I hadn't gone back to do that when I blocked it in with light blue and kept going.

Here's the really good one, my panoramic Eagle Falls with changes.

I variegated the colors on the rocks a little more and added some accents. Not as big changes and I stopped because I didn't want to overwork it.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Lambertville, NJ

Hails from United States
Seascape

Pan Pastels are marvelous. I have been using them for seascapes, which I paint on Colourfix Suede Paper in brown paper bag, a perfect color. I use the sponge with a point on each end, and all the different tools. The finishing touches I accomplish with soft pastel sticks.
Attached Images

#156   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Lambertville, NJ

Hails from United States

Whoops, I meant to post this as a new thread....
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Top notch, Robert!

Susan, it's beautiful! I'm glad you posted it here, too. You can always copy it using the Quote button (lower right corner). Then copy it and paste the whole thing into a new post in the gallery. You have to remove the [quote] tags in front and behind. It's kosher to post in two places!
Gouache Blog
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Susan, wow! I'm so glad you posted this in here. It's wonderful. I love the way you got the wet sand and those last waves transparent over the wet sand. This has so much feeling and I can almost hear the surf, feel it wet on my toes, it's fantastic! Great clouds in the distance too.

Thank you for your comments on my revisions! I meant to do that for days but had to feel up to standing next to the wall to work on them. Now they're really finished I will get started on something new.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Robert asked me to show my humble 3 minute sketch here too of pan pastel.

Practicing on bisons today and after trying out a whole bunch with different media, this pan pastel one is the best of the lot. Some parts are done with erasing with a fat eraser.

Pentalic 70 lb sketchbook 5.5 x 8 inch

#160   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Beautiful gesture sketch of the bison. I love the textures and the way you conveyed the sheer massive bulk of its body. The pose is interesting too. So glad I'm not the only one that uses Pans for sketching!

#161   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

blue- I hear what you are saying. I always grab the triangular sponge. I can use the bottom of the sponge for broad strokes and the top for more delicate touches. Working small allows me to use the blue handle tools. Each tool gives you a different looking stroke and if you need some detail, that pointy tool can get you right in there. You are correct about playing with your Pans and see what you can come up with. I would love to see you Pan paintings.

Robert- Both of your paintings look wonderful. I like how you can see the strokes. Very painterly. I think if someone saw the painting and didn't know better, they would have a difficult time figuring out what medium they were looking at. Your water has great movement and the trees have nice depth.

Susan- I am glad you posted your painting here. The waves are beautifully done. I love the trasparency of the water on the sand. That color of paper is perfect for your painting.

Sandra- Great example of what can be done with Pans in a three minute sketch. You gave him good bulk with your quick shading and the marks you made for the grass are very convincing.

I forgot to post this little painting here. This was painted entirely with Pans and is painted on 5 x 7 brown Pastelmat. It was homework for Johannes' class on waterfalls.

Doug
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Secor
I agree, blue, they do about 90% or so very well, but fine "kitten hair" (great description, Robert) strokes need other materials. I never think of Pans as a medium unto itself, just another form of pastels! I've found that the little wedge sponge is one of my most useful Pan tools, too, and once the layering is in place using the edge of the wedge makes 'grassy' strokes between colors nicely. I honestly don't use the "paintbrush" tools that much. Remember you can shape the straight edges of a sponge by bending and scrunching it up.

Carmel, if you watch the video on the Panpastels site where I do the sunset you'll see some shots of how I load my sponges. I was using the large round sponge mostly, but I use the same means of loading any of the tools. Don't dig down, just swipe across the top at least two or three times, and don't neglect the edges. It's easy to make a trough in the pan if you dig in with a smaller sponge in the same spot repeatedly (just as you can in blusher putting on your make up!) If you make too much of a hole the edges start to collapse, giving you more powder than you need and wasting the product.

You can mix together multiple colors by swiping across one, then the next, then the next. The pans are easily cleaned off when needed with a swipe of a clean(er) sponge. (Someone should show that in a video. Hmmm, bet it's already shown on the Pan site.)

Hope that helps!

Yes it does, thank you Deborah and Blue. Especially the information about not creating a trough in the center. I will watch your video. Hopefully I will get to play with them this weekend.
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Doug, that little waterfall painting is gorgeous. I love your rocks. They have a beautiful texture and all your subtle color variations give them an even rockier look. I've seen rocks like that, where the boulders got battered and there's all these little plane changes, they're rounded but not smooth like river rocks. Love the back cliff wall, it's just right - dark and shadowy with lots of subtle variation.

#164   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Robert. Here is another one I just finished. This is painted on 8 x 10 brown Pastelmat using mostly Pans and a few softies. I always welcome c & c's. Thanks to Larry Seiler for the photo in the IRL.

Doug
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Doug, I think my comment must have vanished. I love the variety of tints you used in the "white" foam of your waterfall, it's gorgeous! Good modeling and great depth on your rocks, they're very solid. Love this one. Keep painting with Pans!

There's also a new video up on the Pan Pastels site by Johannes Vloothuis. He did a half hour Misty Sunset landscape painted with the Sofft knife.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 03-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.