WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Orange County, CA

Hails from United States
2 hour Painting Workshop for 7 -12 year old

Hello All,
I have signed up to volunteer 2 hour Painting Workshop for 7 -12 year old in my local community. This is the first time I will be doing such a thing and I am looking to get some ideas from you all... It is supposed to be a fun activity for kids. I usually work with oil paints only. But for this workshop I am thinking of using water colors or maybe tempera paint.
I will appreciate your ideas or any links you may know of.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Re: 2 hour Painting Workshop for 7 -12 year old

I teach k-5 art. With such a large age span you need to break each step down to it's most basic step. The younger the child the more concrete their thinking. Go one stroke at a time. Make visuals of all the steps so that older kids can move on while you work with younger students.
My I suggest landscapes? You can reassure the students that no one will count the leaves on their trees and demonstrate that trees are just a series of connected 'y's and no two trees are alike. No two skies are alike.
DON'T use the word perfection, like, "If you do it this way it will turn out perfect". When theirs doesn't look like yours, they will feel failure.
The trick is to keep it simple enough for the young ones while challenging the older kids.
If you do still lifes, stress that no ones' will look like another's project because every one has a different point of view so they shouldn't compare their work to someone else's work. This is very comforting to a child that is overly critical of their own work.
The most important thing you can do is build their confidence so they feel good about their work and want to continue to learn.
Also, take away black and neutrals and secondary colors. Teach them to mix their own. It will make it more exciting. Also, younger kids will paint everything dark.
Google 'elementary painting lesson plans' or 'elementary art lesson plans - painting'
Have fun. I hope this helps.

Last edited by jduncan : 06-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Orange County, CA

Hails from United States
Re: 2 hour Painting Workshop for 7 -12 year old

Thanks jduncan! Appreciate the tips, I am doing the workshop the coming Sunday. I will let you know how it turns out. With paints, it will be my first time... so I liked your idea of landscape since the drawing part should be easy with the trees etc...