WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States
Wide format printer? Please advice needed!

Hi All,
I've researched the articles relating to my question, but it seems that what I was finding was pretty outdated(as to technology). So, please may I ask this question again.....

I want to produce quality prints of my artwork from my own printer. I would like to be able to print on rolls of canvas, but haven't a clue as to which printers will do that?
I have read about the Epson printers, the R1900, and the workforce, as I believe they will?
I would also like to be able to print on quality papers.
Sizes up to standard frame sizes, to make it more appealing to buyers as I don't plan on selling framed.
I have been looking for the R1900, but it seems to be out of stock indefinitely! Epson.com has been out for months, and locally- including my local outlets are out of stock!
I want to spend no more than $400.00 or so, if I can.
Any ideas, or tips?
Any input on what you use and why would be greatly appreciated!
Also, if you do print on canvas, where do you buy the rolls?
Any input welcomed please! Thanks in advance!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Long Island

Hails from United States
Re: Wide format printer? Please advice needed!

I have the exact same question. I have problems getting quality photos of my large scale art and would prefer to scan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a large bed scanner (larger than 11 x 17)??

www.dianecostanza.etsy.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Suggest looking at the Epson and other mfr's websites. Epson runs specials on the 1900 and others and have the fine art paper and canvas to support it and other models. I have a 1900 and it does a good job. Mine is tricky to get it to take the canvas feed, but produces a good print. Printing large formats takes a lot of ink and more expense. Do small for proofs first.

I have a good quality digital camera that I take my pictures of art and use photoshop to get the pics ready for print. Large scanners too expensive for me.

Hope this helps.
Jimmie

Last edited by jbart : 06-23-2011 at 10:28 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for responding Jimmie.

As I mentioned, i have been looking at the Epson R1900, but the epson.com site has been out of stock, for several months. i called them last week and they couldn't tell me when they will have in stock again.
I've checked with all my local retailers(through the epson site), all of them are "out of stock" as well , and they don't know when epson will be shipping more. Odd, as epson said they don't expect to discontinue it's manufacture, yet they couldn't tell me when it will be restocked.
I've also checked ebay, but the prices for the R 1900 there are over $500.00, while on the epson.com site the price is $299.00.
So, I guess i need to look at other manufacturers, just not sure which other manufacturer's model compares to the epson R1900?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Two answers.

1) Printer
I use an Epson 3880 which produces excellent results on canvas up to 17 inches with essentially unlimited length. I realize this is outside budget by a factor of 2 or more - but it is good. Using an XRite spectrophotometer "perfect" calibration and match between original, computer screen and output is easily possible. I note however that Costco is now offering very competitively priced canvas prints.

2) High resolution scan
Absent a high resolution, high price scanner use a good quality camera at suitable magnification and use Photoshop layers to reassemble a giant picture - or use the panorama function. I use it all the time for panoramic photos.

Joe.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Baltimore, Maryland

Hails from United States

Hi All, new here, hope I can help here from time to time.

For a wide format printer, your $400 budget is probably going to be way too low for anything worth using. Good advice from joe publik. My advice to any artist serious about selling prints and competing with the sea of others out there is to start with finding a company that has a Betterlight or Cruse scanner and get tiff files with AdobeRGB1998 profile attached.

Once you have the scan, look on craigslist or Ebay for a used printer like the ones mentioned. Epson or Canon are probably the better names to go with. Keep in mind that buying the printer is just the beginning, inks and media are expensive. You will need calibration software and learn how to use everything and then have time to keep painting!

My advice for $400 is to find a good giclee lab, pick a couple of your best pieces and have scans and proofs made on the media you want. Then use your proofs and digital files to get started in selling prints. This bypasses all the technical hassle and you will have far better quality prints to offer.

If you use any of my advice at all, try having the scans done and then print them on your home inkjet printer.. you will be amazed at how much better your prints will be. Stay away from digital cameras and flatbed scanners. Good Luck!

Jeff
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

My advice for $400 is to find a good giclee lab, pick a couple of your best pieces and have scans and proofs made on the media you want. Then use your proofs and digital files to get started in selling prints. This bypasses all the technical hassle and you will have far better quality prints to offer.

If you use any of my advice at all, try having the scans done and then print them on your home inkjet printer.. you will be amazed at how much better your prints will be. Stay away from digital cameras and flatbed scanners. Good Luck!

Jeff[/quote]

Excellent suggestion Jeff. I started with Litho's with Color Q almost 30 years ago- and moved forward with the times to Small Epson- and now to my lovely 24" wide format - the Epson 7880--- now replaced by the 7890. This is a commitment machine- a hefty investment ----- but----- if you sign up for the Epson newsletters---- you can get wildly great discounts and specials that bring that price right down. I received a $300 rebate when I purchased, plus 3 full rolls of ultrasmooth ( My choice of paper) which brought the price down another $375 (higher at todays prices) - by the time I had experiments with the papers, inks, profiles, etc---- and used up the entire 3 rolls with orders/sales----- I had paid for the entire machine with sales of the prints made on those 3 rolls of paper..

It worked great for me but I had a well established client list. As a beginner- it would be a great stretch to invest such a large amount - not knowing about potential sales without a 'test period' and there IS a learning curve to producing saleable prints.--- I think the online production sites are a great choice for beginners to get their feet on the ground financially. I saved most pennies for early sales to upgrade my equiptment to continue production.

The Epson wide formats are excellent machines- I haven't had a single day of problems- other than those that I have caused. I would not be afraid to purchase one from a secondary source, I think they are made well enough to check out ebay or craigslist for used machines--- or--- check out some of the photo shops----- photographers seem to really love these machines too-- I continue to buy my papers from the photo shop I bought my printer at, the paper at considerable saving over most suppliers.

Also suggest you purchase the widest size you can possibly afford---- sometimes a 24 x 24 print is just too limiting for the client------ and sometimes you can find some real deals on canvas and adhesive fabrics, when they aren't available in 24"---- but the next size up would do so nicely--- sigh.

Good luck with your hunting !

Marcia
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
San Diego

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Wide format printer? Please advice needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb'sArt
Hi All,
I've researched the articles relating to my question, but it seems that what I was finding was pretty outdated(as to technology). So, please may I ask this question again.....

I want to produce quality prints of my artwork from my own printer. I would like to be able to print on rolls of canvas, but haven't a clue as to which printers will do that?
I have read about the Epson printers, the R1900, and the workforce, as I believe they will?
I would also like to be able to print on quality papers.
Sizes up to standard frame sizes, to make it more appealing to buyers as I don't plan on selling framed.
I have been looking for the R1900, but it seems to be out of stock indefinitely! Epson.com has been out for months, and locally- including my local outlets are out of stock!
I want to spend no more than $400.00 or so, if I can.
Any ideas, or tips?
Any input on what you use and why would be greatly appreciated!
Also, if you do print on canvas, where do you buy the rolls?
Any input welcomed please! Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, I'd recommend the EPSON 260 paper, as it is excellent for print production. The glossy surface adds an exceptional intensity to colors, and resists ink fade rather well.

I've used canvas on large format EPSON printers, and have found that some are better than others. Banner type canvas works exceptionally well, whether it has blockout material or not, and you will not have to worry about ink saturation!

Check w your EPSON dealer to find out about available roll widths.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 PM

$400 will not buy you any good giclee LARGE FORMAt printer, we run an epson 9500 & a 9600, both 44" giclee & are fantatstic, choma colors that are archival, there are 24" versions a lot less but well worth the investment regarding quality, longevity, ink use, head reliability & life etc etc.

Don't skimp if you are serious.