WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Grisaille Demo

Using Pan Pastels and pastel sticks. Experiment, not a finished piece

If you have ever used pan pastels, you may have noticed that you can use them almost like a glaze over other colors. I have always been interested in the Grisaille method: a monochromatic underpainting usually done with black, white and grays or shades of brown or sienna. So.....I thought I would try the method with Charcoal as my base.....spraying, and then glaze with pans and finish with the sticks for detail and intensity. I chose a little waterfall near my home as reference photo. It is a good idea to have a black and white and color photo.

here is my first charcoal drawing....cropped for better comp. Spray with fix.

Here, I am starting to add soft color with the pan tool

The final result with all pan glazes and sticks for detail and intensity.
Verdict: I want to try more....perhaps with an acrylic Grisaille base next. Lots of fun..... Derek

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
A Local Legend
Burlington, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Grisaille Demo

Derek This is absolutely stunning!!! - thx for all the steps =-are pan pastels less dusty than ordinary pastels?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hi Kate: Thanks very much.
The pans are less dusty than sticks and you don't have to touch them because you hold a tool and not the stick.
Derek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Houston TX

Hails from United States

Hey Derek,
Your Grisaille is very nice and for me it is the before color version that does it. How do you and the WC crew feel about pure Grisaille as finished work? I just sold one in the Gallery (surprisingly) and I quite like doing them as finished pieces here and there. Do you ever put them out in their bare form?
Tim
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Cape Cod, MA USA

Hails from United States

great stuff - love those greens. nice composition.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario

Hails from Canada

This is beautiful, just goes to show you that it's the values that make the painting. I've been curious about the pans but wasn't sure that I liked the colours but they seem very naturalistic here. It's interesting that they act as a glaze over the others which is a technique that I've been using with the Ludwigs.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Tim: Hi....you can't have a Grisaille without the color. I have sold many charcoal drawings. Also, if you do a grisaille in paint without the color, you just have a monochromatic painting. If I were to just leave the charcoal without the color glazes, it would just be a charocoal drawing. Thanks, TIM

Chris: thanks so much.

Hi Barbara: Try the pans....I was sceptical, now I love them....I have all the colors. and thanks.
Derek
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Little Rock

Hails from United States

Very nice Derek! The color is minimal but just enough. Beautiful spot too, I'd love to paint there!

On the topic of monochromes as finished pieces, I recently did a plein air value study, also incidentally of a waterfall, that I posted to Facebook that someone said I just needed to frame as is. I did very much like it but had already started to apply color. As it turned out, I personally liked the value study a bit better than the finished piece in color so I think there's something to be said for calling it complete at that stage on occassion!

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hi John Thanks. It really is not complete.....more color saturation to come.

By the way my point was: you can't call a monochromatic work a "Grisaille".
Grisaille is a marriage between an underpainting in mono and colored over.

I love monochromatic works.
derek
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Little Rock

Hails from United States

HAHA you got me! It could totally be done just like that. Can't wait to see how it progresses then!

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

I am totally impressed with your demo!
Amazing to see the colors come to life.
Love it already Derek!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Thanks Pierre...very much.
Derek
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Demo is a very useful! Thank you for sharing this. Lovely painting
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Houston TX

Hails from United States

Derek,
So sorry, I probably should not have even brought up the Grisaille paint thing. Your post was clearly about charcoal/pastel, but the articles I have read regarding Grisaille suggested something a bit different.

"you can't have a Grisaille without the color. I have sold many charcoal drawings. Also, if you do a grisaille in paint without the color, you just have a monochromatic painting."

"you can't call a monochromatic work a "Grisaille".
Grisaille is a marriage between an underpainting in mono and colored over."

Wikipedia:
Grisaille (pronounced /ɡrɨˈzaɪ/, /ɡrɨˈzeɪl/; French: gris [ɡʁizaj] 'grey') is a term for painting executed entirely in monochrome or near-monochrome, usually in shades of grey. It is particularly used in large decorative schemes in imitation of sculpture. Many grisailles in fact include a slightly wider colour range, like the Andrea del Sarto fresco illustrated. Paintings executed in brown are sometimes referred to by the more specific term brunaille, and paintings executed in green are sometimes called verdaille.[1]
(1)A grisaille may be executed for its own sake, (2)as underpainting for an oil painting (in preparation for glazing layers of colour over it), (3)or as a model for an engraver to work from. "Rubens and his school sometimes use monochrome techniques in sketching compositions for engravers."[2] Full colouring of a subject makes many more demands of an artist, and working in grisaille was often chosen as being quicker and cheaper, although the effect was sometimes deliberately chosen for aesthetic reasons. Grisaille paintings resemble the drawings, normally in monochrome, that artists from the Renaissance on were trained to produce; like drawings they can also betray the hand of a less talented assistant more easily than a fully coloured painting.

My mind is always thinking oil paint, and I do agree that black charcoal drawings are just that.

I still like your charcoal drawing very much.

Take care
Tim
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Toronto

Hails from Canada

stunning indeed!