WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

You know, Candace...I had to run and pop my Graphitint tin open and look inside, right? Why did I not see that before as a huuuuuuuuge extra palette? I am even more excited now! Awesome tip. Thanks so much!

My only bummer is that I picked up a backpack today hoping to use it for my plein air oil setup and my pochade box just barely fits in the main compartment. I am so not happy about that. I wanted to love this backpack. There is room for a lot of snacks in it.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain24
You know, Candace...I had to run and pop my Graphitint tin open and look inside, right? Why did I not see that before as a huuuuuuuuge extra palette? I am even more excited now! Awesome tip. Thanks so much!

You're welcome! I think I saw that on a Derwent tips/hints video on their website the other day- that's a fun place to watch demos.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Below is another sketch bag possibility, the 'Field Journal Notebook' by Tom Bihn.

-- Here is my review of it.
-- Here is another review in the FPN.

Jan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

This just in from JetPens.....I think I'm in love! Nice and roomy with tons of pockets. You can click on one of the bags and scroll through specs and images.

Jamie
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I just go the JetPen newsletter and saw those too yesterday Jamie. They look very cool and tempting. Even come in three colors! They have a bunch more photos of it here if interested.

The one you posted looks cool also Jan, althought not as roomy.

I'm on the search for a sketchbook that to use with fountain pens where not only does it take wash well, but when writing with the pen, it also writes smooth and does not skip or drag like they do on so many of the watercolor sketchbooks I have.

Last edited by RainySea : 04-26-2011 at 10:01 AM.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainySea
I'm on the search for a sketchbook that to use with fountain pens where not only does it take wash well, but when writing with the pen, it also writes smooth and does not skip or drag like they do on so many of the watercolor sketchbooks I have.
I suggest you try Strathmore Aquarius II watercolor paper. I can write on that with my italic nibs (the ones with the sharp corners most likely to catch and skip) with no problems at all. The fat round M nib on my TWSBI glides around on this paper as on a cloud. If you like that paper, you can cut it up into smaller sheets and take your stack to Kinko's, where they will spiral-bind it into a sketchbook for you for next to nothing in price.

The only catch is that this paper is pure pristine bright white. I am getting more and more partial to using creamy-colored and tinted paper, so am going to continue to look around for other options.

Jan
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jan, for the description of that paper. I've read your mention of it but the way you explain it really makes me want to try it. I found that Blick requires me to order 10 sheets which makes it expensive to try. . . but then I found that Cheap Joe's has a pad of it on sale here. I think this looks like the same stuff

Last edited by RainySea : 04-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Thanks, Jan, for the description of that paper. I've read your mention of it but the way you explain it really makes me want to try it. I found that Blick requires me to order 10 sheets which makes it expensive to try. . . but then I found that Cheap Joe's has a pad of it on sale here. I think this looks like the same stuff
I ordered one of those Aquarius II pads from Cheap Joe's just now along with some Walnut ink and a Fabriano Vienza that Jamie liked. The Aquarius was on sale for cheap and I got 15% off the order too!

Thanks for the link on the Kinko as if I like that paper, then I will order from Blick and create a book as you suggested. I know some make their own, but it seems so complicated and time-consuming to me! I admire those who do though!

Last edited by RainySea : 04-27-2011 at 05:19 PM.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Naples, FL/Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Oh my goodness! The amount of information in this thread is simply amazing. Thank you all for sharing and thank you, Debbie, for beginning the thread. My mind is boggled!!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Jamie. . . I am drooling for those walkabout bags now from JetPens, esp. after seeing how quick they ship and that I can get free shipping over $25. I am pretty sure I will order one next month but if you get one first, please review it for us!!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Jamie. . . I am drooling for those walkabout bags now from JetPens, esp. after seeing how quick they ship and that I can get free shipping over $25. I am pretty sure I will order one next month but if you get one first, please review it for us!!

I did it. *blushing* Just could not resist! I ordered the blue one. And could I stop at just ordering the bag? Of course not! I had to order some things to go inside it too!

Jamie
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Oh, cool! Way to go. . . can't wait to hear about how you like it. I want the blue one too

And OF COURSE one can never order just one thing from an art supply place. It just cannot be done I think. Notice how I intended to order ONE Stillman and Birn sketchbook and ended up with THREE in my cart. *sigh* Can't wait to get them though.

BTW, I have the Parallel 1.5 and just this week got the 2.4. LOVE them both. I am thinking of getting the other two just to have the whole set. I love the amt of ink they put down so easily.

I am a pen addict. . . so far the only ones I really don't like that I bought is the Preppy. . . mine skips like all get out and sometimes I have to scribble to get it to write at all before using. I should just toss it as it frustrates me. I purchased the converter for it, too. . . but I read that is the same converter one can use for the kuretake brush pen, which I might get one day, so I can just save it for that.

Last edited by RainySea : 04-29-2011 at 07:14 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Jan, what makes you nervous about the eyedropper conversion of the Plumix? I was thinking about converting my Pilot Parallels, since calligraphy pens can go through ink so fast when practicing. Did you use an O ring and silicone grease to enhance the seal?
My initial jitters were because I tried it with only grease. No o-ring. But now I just finished two successful (knock on wood) Plumix conversions. With a dab of epoxy at the nether end of the barrel (just to make doubly sure it doesn't leak), plus an appropriate o-ring and the grease, I'm all set! Full of confidence! That was surprisingly easy.

Please keep me up to date on the eyedropper conversion of a Parallel. Since these lay down such a wet juicy line, they do indeed go through the ink quickly. That lame little bladder ain't the most enormous. So I am interested in a Parallel conversion as well.

Eyeballing it, the barrel diameter of the Parallel seems a tad smaller than the Plumix. The Preppy o-rings fit the Plumix perfectly. Those o-rings too big for the Parallel? I wonder.

Jan
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas

Hails from United States

I love the orange interior of those wise-walker bags! One of my pet peeves is that so many bags and purses have black interiors, which makes it impossible to find things.

There are some great ideas in this thread!
I keep changing up my go-everywhere kit, looking for that perfect one, LOL.

The first picture (I hope they attached!) is my current version of my to-go kit. It goes in my purse and goes with me everywhere. Edited to add: Oh my gosh, those pictures are HUGE!! I'm so sorry!

It's a modified Sakuri Koi travel watercolor kit. I took out the included paints and use my own half-pans, stuck craft magnets on the bottom of them and put inside an Altoids tin lid that's stuck on with blue-tack. (I wish the whole tin would fit, because I'd like to have a lid on the paint, but it's just too tall).

There's room left for a pencil, small waterbrush and some travel brushes, along with an eraser, sharpener and a sponge. I like the palette's spaces that come with this field box--it's very sturdy, the palettes have plenty of space to work, and it's compact when closed. Plus, there's a thumb ring on the bottom, and if you want, you can prop a postcard block or sheet in the lid and use it like an easel.

I also throw in a small sketchbook or two, and I always have my fountain pens and small water spray bottle in my purse so they're handy. In a pinch, I can use the spray bottle as water supply for my brushes.

The tiny one is the smallest tin I could find (I think the mini Altoid tins are similar). It's my pocket watercolor sketching kit, and fits in the palm of my hand. I took a lid off another one of the tins and it fits on the bottom for extra palette space--I can hold the tin and the lid in one hand comfortably. The half pans have craft magnets on the bottom so I can switch them out however I like. I can tuck it, a pocket sketchbook and a waterbrush in my pocket or smallest purse and take off. If it ever stops raining here, I'll paint the interior of the tin and lids with white enamel paint, and paint the exterior some fun funky color. My TWSBI pen is shown for size reference.

I'm fairly new to the forum, but I'm really appreciating all the great information and help here!

Leigh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.JPG (173.7 KB, 1052 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.JPG (156.1 KB, 1050 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.JPG (186.7 KB, 1047 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.JPG (144.6 KB, 1050 views)

Last edited by Aberwacky : 05-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Thanks much to all the folks who posted such great info in this thread. I just ordered a (my first) Lamy Safari pen with two inks (black and purple) and will be doing some pen and wash work, something in which I've only dabbled a bit previously. Thanks in particular to Jamie and Rainy for their pen and wash oriented sketchbooks - both of which I love to see - for the inspiration, and to Jamie for specific suggestions on a pen and inks. Now the only issue is that I ordered from Goulet and they are on the east coast, so I will have some wait time before the order gets all the way out here to the Pacific NW.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.