WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States
Sir George & Lady Bella ..STRUCTURED CRITIQUE PL

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sir George & Lady Bella ..STRUCTURED CRITIQUE PL
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12X18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
ALL CRITIQUES PLEASE

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
looking for all critique to lea<br> from
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2011, 01:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Sir George & Lady Bella ..STRUCTURED CRITIQUE PL

hmm
odd how this hasn't garnered more attention

my only issue is the stance of these guys, especially the viewers right ... you know when pups are at that stage of wobbly legs, not really strong enough to hold themselves fully up ... you've captured that stage and i'm not sure it was your intent?
anyway, it's awkward ... provides [for me, too much] tension ... was that your intent?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Paradise, Florida

I didn't comment because I can find nothing to critique. I assumed the table was slick, what with so much reflection, and for me, that explains the dog's stance.

My only nit would be a little more wet/hilite in the left one's eyes. and that's an awfully small nit!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Forgive my late critique, I was moved to response because of how close to excellence this portrait is.

Please note the nose to eye angle on the higher dog. See my illustration with the red lines. You will see that your pup on the right is perfectly lined up while the right eye on the higher pup is too small and high on one side.

When painting white fur it is never really white- but reflects all the colors around it. Never be afraid to fill in the anatomy of the dog using colors taken from the background and bedding. In this case I shaded with the transparent red oxide under the paw, but one could also take some of the tans too. Just be sure to use a transparent color and slowly layer, standing back to inspect your work at a distance frequently.

If you look at my second example, you will see that the dogs still look pristine white but now have more dimension and form. Also shading gives the fur an added "cuddly" softness.

I thought it might be helpful to you to see where I added shadows. This last shot just shows the shading I added over your painting to give them form. As you see is is loose and light, keeps in mind the light source and mostly darkens shadows, pushing back a bit on all but the most forward anatomy, and that in the direct light.

Hope that this helps.

Life is good!
Http://smvstudio.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

I feel there should be an arm around the chest/belly of the two dogs clutching them to a chest. Was the original image of the dogs in someones arms?

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum