WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Rochester, NY

Hails from United States
staggering

Hello,
I've been on many of the forums in wetcanvas from time to time, as I love trying new things. May I just say you people are absolutely staggering in your detail and performance?
I've considered myself a good artist, usually in glass, or woodburning, and I'm just now starting into scratchboard as I love for the powerful contrast it allows for.
Now for the question. I've been reviewing a great many of the posts of mindblowing images, and seen many posts of people saying I did this today, and I did that, which I love seeing. What I'm wondering is, can anyone tell me the thought process that goes into the planning of these works? The precision required to pull of the lighting in this medium has to require a great deal of planning, and I'm wondering if anyone had something to say on the subject? I'm sorry if it's a question that's been asked before, all the posts are a lot to take in at once and I may have missed it in my searching.
Thanks,
Matt
(Gnarledwolf)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast
Scotland

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: staggering

Personally i draw out what im going to do on top of the scratchboard first with a soft pencil as you can see the silvery graphite lines on the surface and they rub off fairly easily, im not sure if anyone else does this. Then i usually start with the brightest bits, but im still learning myself as well and i tend to overscratch then go over it with an airbrush with ink. Ive still got no idea how some of the people here make such amazing work so ill be interested to see what people say too

Katy

My facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Springfield, Il USA

Hi Matt and welcome to our scratchboard family!

I would recommend that you search this forum for "WIP" and start reading through those threads. Quite often the artists will speak their mind about their process and thoughts they are having while working on their art piece.

We also have some Sticky threads at the top of the forum that I highly recommend you read through as well. There is a wealth of information here that once you settle in a bit you won't find too difficult to sort through!

Can't wait to see your first scratchboard project post!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 AM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

Welcome Matt. You might take a look at a thread I started several months ago. It does not speak so much about the process but certainly about the inspiration. Here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...58#post8885958
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Matt... welcome.. yea, check those sticky threads... for hot tips and special effects.

As for the thought process.... having met and watched a good number of the artist here.. soooo many of them work so differently from one another... im saying you will adapt to the surface with your style and vision. Grab some Ampersand boards and get to digging on them...we are here to help.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Rochester, NY

Hails from United States

Thanks for the reply. Frankly the replies I expected were what I and most artists seems to say "I just do it." but I'll will just have to dive in and "do it" and figure it out. I could not make the search for WIP work, and I'm assuming I'm using the search wrong as it came back no result.
thanks again.
matt
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Welcome Matt, I always get excited to see that we have a new "Little Monster" here on the dark side! "little monster being a reference to what Lady Gaga call's her fans...of which I am one." Point being her fans are extremely loyal and of all ages....and maybe a bit odd Just like us!....the people of the Dark Side. We are addicts of the dust and revel in our shared addiction.
Diving in and just doing it is kinda sorta what you do in any new medium and thankfully with the help of all your friends if you do run into a roadblock you just need ask and you will get all the help needed. However it is still a good idea to start by reading the sticky threads just so you have a good idea how to start and what to expect.
Again Welcome and have Fun! Can't wait to see what you will come up with!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Welcome...we're all looking forward to seeing what you come up with...don't be shy because we are the friendliest bunch on the internet!

Just go back in the pages looking for WIPs and you'll find lots...it might take longer, though. I can never get the search feature to work for me either.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Matt, I'm with you - at the reading and gathering tools stage but haven't made the first scratch yet - getting close. When they recommend the sticky threads, they mean the third through fifth thread on the home page. Good luck. I hope to be posting with you one of these days, soon.

Besides the terrific information found here, I bought a book titled Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice. She shows all the different strokes used in pen & ink and I think that knowledge will help me getting started.

When I look at the work posted here, I wonder if there are any beginners - all the work is so good.

Oil Pastel Society Member www.oilpastelsociety.com
My Blog www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Last edited by SammyH : 03-18-2011 at 04:49 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Welcome aboard Sammy.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Sammy and Matt

Matt, to me the one overriding important factor is I simply won't do anything unless the subject and reference I'm using touches me. If it doesn't, my heart won't be in it (hence I turn some commissions down) and if my heart isn't in it, how can I be convincing to a viewer?

Next thing is a sense of drama since sratchboard is perfect for that. It then comes down to the balance of how much light and dark you manage to 'see' in your image before you even start.

Then of course there is composition, but that's true for any media

Finally, I like to try and find the soul of my subject (if that's not too artsy fartsy) so I like to concentrate on eyes and facial features and scratchboard lends itself perfectly to that. I think that's why we see so many scratchboard artists doing closeups of animals and people, even though it's a great medium for landscapes too.

Would love to see your work!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Allegany NY

Hails from United States

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2921/801/

Cathy Sheeter (Crias) did an article a long time ago about getting started in scratchboard, and how to pick the right photo for scratch. Which is the best place to start. Often times I find my references lack the necessary shadows and highlights for a dramatic piece so I usually work them up in photoshop to add them in and intensify the piece. Also have a high res ref with LOTs of details helps so much. On the other hand some freehand everything (*cough* Rodman *cough*) and have stunning results. What is nice is you can often carry over your normal style into scratchboard; this cannot be said for me of course because my normal painting style is very very very loose...and then there are my boards . When transferring I tend to keep my transfer image very basic. I map in the main shapes and shadows. Others are very detailed.

Feel free to continue asking questions though. We love to answer them! Can't wait to see what you produce.

Also! Hello fellow western NYer! I'm from Olean/Allegany currently in Fredonia!

-Susan

Art by Susan
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi and Welcome! Diana Lee did an article a loooong time ago about changing the lighting of a photo for scratchboard. High contrast works well for a start. Otherwise you end up with tons of midtones and very little else. Enjoy!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Springfield, Il USA

Quote:
I could not make the search for WIP work

Sorry about that! I guess I gave you bad information because when I tried a search using "WIP" nothing came up because it is too short of a search term. However, when I search the Scratchboard forum again with the word "progress" it came up with a lot of threads along the lines of what I think you are looking for (besides all of the other great tips folks posted about already).
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Springfield, Il USA

Hi Sammy and it's wonderful to hear you are going to be doing some scratchboarding (is that a word?) soon!

I loved what you said:
Quote:
Besides the terrific information found here, I bought a book titled Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice.

So many folks that I encounter don't realize (for whatever reason) that we employ basic drawing techniques in our medium. Shading, cross-hatching, stippling... etc., we do it all but sometimes have to use different tools to achieve the same effect.