WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Scratchy Corner 14th-20th March

Starting this scratchy corner on a downer with thoughts for so many people in Japan

Also, I'm losing my job. Our industry has been struggling for a while through lack of quota and competition and other reasons. Seems like our competitors don't want to make any money - just want to turn over. Crazy. So ours will be the second lobster exporting business in our small part of South Australia to close in a month. Not too concerned though as I haven't enjoyed it for a while now and at least I get paid for another eight months after we close.

So job hunting I go. Should I try art? I could do what a lot of 50 year olds do, mow lawns or make coffee

Someone needs to post soon and lift the mood
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Adelaide South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Scratchy Corner 14th-20th March

Patrick, I am very sorry to hear about your loss; I also have been in that situation and it's all a bit of a shock at first - but sometimes these events might just provide an opportunity to do something you have not seriously considered before.....?????? Take your positive attitude out into the towns and be surprised! Fifty ain't the end of it... Good luck!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Allegany NY

Hails from United States

I'm sorry Patrick! That is never fun.

I'm also really feeling for Japan too.

Well I wish I could life the mood...but I can't. On Saturday we discovered one our tigers Sasha had passed away. It was a complete shock considering she had shown no signs of feeling ill. We think she might have choked on her food because her incisors are so worn down. She was 13 though, and had a really rough upbringing in her early years so it could have just been her time. Absolutely heartbreaking to see such a powerful beast like that.

Someone have good news please.

-Susan

Art by Susan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Good news... well, is not national, nor scratchboard, but got my latest rendering done - "Pitter Patter", pen and acrylic inks on 8"x40" acid-free foamboard...

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Oh Patrick...that is a bummer! But they say that when one door closes another one opens. Might be time to go professional in your art work? Lord knows you have the talent!

Snuzy...that is sad news too...is that the tiger you did in scratch behind bars? Seems to me her teeth were broken, too?

Robert...that is one interesting and cool piece!

On Japan...I've had the news on everyday...there are some miracles happening but also such sadness, such destruction.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks guys.

Snuzy, that's really sad. I know you loved Sasha.

That's very cool Robert. Very interesting design.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Patrick, In response to your comment last night on the last Scratchy Corner. Ha! Maybe now I'll have an excuse.
I believe everything happens for a reason, it's just not always apparent right away. Hopefully it will turn out as a positive for you and your family.

Snuzy, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Robert, nice one.

Seeing the devastation in Japan reminds me of just what is important and how fortunate I am to have my health and the small problems I have to deal with.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast
Somewhere on Lake Simcoe

Hails from Canada

So sorry to hear about you losing your job, Patrick. I absolutely think that you should try to create more of an income from your art. It's good though that you will continue to get paid for a while to give you some time to figure things out. Either way, I am sure you will find something that you enjoy more than what you were doing.

That's terrible news, Susan. It's always really sad to lose something that you care about that much.

On an more positive note, awesome piece, Robert. I like the cherry hanging from it's stem.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

Patrick.... When mankind finally figures out that this money system is a joke and doesn't work....that ALL the money is headed toward the people with all the money and that the average guy is cheated at every turn...that the worlds natural resources will be continually exploited, regardless of the social or environmental impact. ..... I better stop

Sorry about your job lose...we should have a world where a artist like yourself CAN make a living doing art....

Snuz ...damn.

Not having a T.V. I've only seen a bit of the Japan footage..at a lil pub. Wow in a big way... this should be a lesson on getting OFF of nuclear power and onto something clean safer renewable .... if you have a chance of leaking radioactive.material....eventually, you will. The long term consequences of which are bleak.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Immortalized
Johnson City, NY

Hails from United States

Patrick sorry to hear about your job--but as others have stated think of it as a fresh opportunity to explore your interests.
Suzy- so sorry to hear about Sasha that's heartbreaking to see an animal that comes from an abusive situation and then thrive to passing without warning. The sanctuary should be proud that they gave her a place to live and die with dignity.
Robert--very cool

Japan video footage is hard to watch-I've been trying to avoid it since it is just so horrific to even think about.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Great piece of art Robert. O know you put a lot of time in these, and it is worth the efforts.

Susan it is great that people like you work with these animals to give them the best opportunity for survival. So sorry for the loss.

Patrick, You are a success story, you will be fine. I know ,first hand,how it is to find yourself at this crossroads. If there is any way possible, you pick what you want to do. Your talent will help you no matter what you decide. Sorry you are faced with this situation.

When I watched the wave wash away the homes of so many and take friends and families of entire communities my heart aches. We have a friend that lives there and was shocked to find out he left to India on vacation just three days prior to the quake. He is bewildered and feels so guilty that he has been spared and all his world has been destroyed.
Makes one count the blessings. Rick
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Seems like the entire planet is going through a terrible rough patch right now. I'm just stunned by the destruction in Japan. I ran across a link that shows superimposed before & after photos. Difficult to look at, eerie, heartbreaking and all that, but it also really makes it clear how much damage was done.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...r-tsunami.html

The magnitude of the Earth's plates shifting is just surreal. As I understand it, one of the plates on the Japanese fault line lifted by 50 FEET over a distance of 180 miles! Incredible.

BTW, I'm in California, but I'm not running out to buy a Geiger counter or Potassium Iodide pills. I'm far more concerned about the people in Japan and the power plants in our state than what might blow our way on the winds across miles and miles of ocean.

Sorry about your job, Patrick, but I get the feeling that while you're concerned, you'll figure something out and will be fine.

I'm still getting to know everyone in here, so I had no idea that you had tigers, Susan. My sympathy on the loss of Sasha. I know she is dearly missed.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintDog
BTW, I'm in California, but I'm not running out to buy a Geiger counter or Potassium Iodide pills. I'm far more concerned about the people in Japan and the power plants in our state than what might blow our way on the winds across miles and miles of ocean.

Well it's a good thing you aren't falling for the exaggeration and lies. They're making a way bigger deal about the nuclear power plants than there needs to be... and that's saying something, because this IS important to know about, but you need to know what is actually happening. Here is a forum thread over at somethingawful that goes into great detail about what is currently going on at the TEPCO plant with many links to where to get up-to-date information: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1

I feel incredibly sympathetic for those affected by the quake and subsequent tsunamis. The footage from the events takes my breath away. I have a really intense fascination with natural disasters, so seeing what tsunamis are capable of is amazing.

Just serves to remind us how small we really are. We are at the mercy of our planet, there is no question about that.

"Order is repetition of units. Chaos is multiplicity without rhythm." ~M.C. Escher

Last edited by Leptailurus : 03-15-2011 at 06:02 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

We hardly watch TV so have been a little behind on the initial disaster news from Japan. As others have said, it's very hard to watch. I have some internet friends, printmakers in Japan, who have all reported they are fine and not too bad off. That's a relief.

Patrick... I think you'll find your forced retirement much easier once you explore other things... and it may be a blessing in disguise if it gets you into your art big-time.

I travel tomorrow and have my travel art kit packed. Scratchboard is the ultimate in convenient art supplies for a trip, not messy, easy to slide in the pocket of the suitcase. So much easier than painting or woodcuts...

Diane
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM
A Local Legend
Metamora, Illinois

Hails from United States

Patrick....Man that stinks! I wish you the best at finding something else....but I have a feeling that with your talent, not only in the art field, and your personality, you will find something that will work out for ya. Hopefully it will be something art wise!!!!
Snuzy...I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved that big cat. Just remember, you were part of making that big furry feline's life more enjoyable.
To the People of Japan my heart goes out to them. It's amazing to see how they (the people) are handling such devastation and loss.

Mother nature is truly a humbling force