WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:19 PM
A Local Legend
her own little world in Central Alberta

Hails from Canada
Poor Man's Orchid ~ Macro WIP

I started this yesterday morning and despite it's size (approx. 22"x22" ) it's going along well. It started off being a full sheet, but due to poor composition I chopped off some of the side and feel much better about it now.

title: Poor Man's Orchid

size: 22"x22"

Arches 300lb cold pressed

Winsor Newton paints : French Ultramarine Blue, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Winsor Yellow and Permanent Rose used so far.

After masking out the pistel and stamens I laid out my underpainting for form.

Painted in the "sunshine"

Painted the petals using Permanent Rose one section at a time blending as I went.

Now it's time to tackle the background. All that's left for the petals is some shadow laid in once I have my darks down in the background. Not sure how dark I want to go or if I will leave it quite bright and out of focus. decisions decisions

thanks for peeking and as always comments and critiques welcomed

em

artist ~ creator of art: somebody who creates art, especially paintings, drawings, or sculptures

Have you used the Award System today?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Hereford, England

Hails from England
I got a surprise when I saw the third picture - never guessed it was going to be red! lol Looking as beautiful as all your macros, Em

Ruth

My RedBubble*~*~*~*~*My Photos*~*~*~*~*My work on Etsy *~*~*~*~*MY WEBSITE! (Please sign the guestbook.)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:27 PM
A Local Legend
Republic of Texas

Hails from United States
You guys are teaching me so much!!!

In your underpainting, are you painting wet into wet on each individual petal?...with the purple and yellow?

Hope you don't mind the question..... Emilie

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer......W.C. Fields..
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
OOOOOOOOOOOOh! My.

Looking good.
I have to try this underpainting stuff.

Carol
Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:35 PM
A Local Legend

Looks good, Em, thanks for doing this format. Your color knowledge is inspirational. You could never do these undercoatings w/o knowing how each wash will react. Glad you are still working the macros. Has the show been and gone?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:37 PM
WC! Guide
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
yummy

what ARE poor man's orchids?

looks familiar

Glasd you're back today
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:37 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
thank you Ruth....actually, it's more hot pink than it is red....my camera sucks big time when it comes to photographing reds/pinks....it loses the subtley in tone

Emilie, do not apologise. If I wasn't interested in sharing my techniques I wouldn't post WIP threads Most all of my glazes are applied wet on dry and then blended with a clear wet flat brush. I applied the purple undertone (mixture of French Ultramarine Blue and Permanent Alizarin Crimson....leaning towards the blue side) and let that completely dry. Then I applied the yellow wet on dry again. I hope that helps

thank you Carol I'd love to see your results if you do give it a go.

em

artist ~ creator of art: somebody who creates art, especially paintings, drawings, or sculptures

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 12:46 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
fookie! my knowledge has all been gained through trial and error but , yes, I do know which mixtures work for me and which don't. for instance, when using the underpainting with reds, I have to apply it darker than other colours because certain reds block out the underpainting.....I use a "bluer" mixture in those cases too. my show isn't until June.....all my paintings are completed.... just need to frame and do all the other "paperwork". yuck. double yuck. I hate writing the bio and statement and such. I'd rather paint. lol

pam! poor man's orchid is a common name for Bauhinia. I take tons of pics of them when we vacation in Jamaica but this is the first time painting one. I have lots of photos of them in my album in the Reference Library. Big beautiful tree with tons of blossoms and hummingbirds fighting with each other for territory. paradise

headed out for lunch with my daughters (Teachers Convention=days off) and my Mom and sister....it will be fun

em

Last edited by mustcreate : 02-28-2003 at 12:48 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast
East Tennessee

Hails from United States
Em, this is gorgeous!

Erin
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend
Republic of Texas

Hails from United States
Em, thanks so much. I'm going to try the underpainting!!....I have about 4 paintings in various stages and am waiting hopefully for a new computer and scanner so I can post for help.....

I really appreciate you and all the others that help so much with other people's work.... Emilie

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer......W.C. Fields..
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast
TX coast

Hails from United States
looking quite lovely, Em.

What are you planning for the background?

Bethany

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Em, I am glad that this macro is going to be huge. With your wonderful technique the end result should be quite impressive.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 03:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Now I'm there

Hails from United States
Looking good, Em. What size brush are you using?
Debra
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 06:30 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
thank you Erin

I'm glad you are enjoying Emilie

background coming up Bethany

Giselle, I'm glad this one is bigger than my macro series paintings....but bigger is scarier!! lol

Debra, I'm using a 1" and a 2" flat to blend and a 12 & 14 round for applying the paint.

Here's the background started now. A light underpainting of my purple mixture in some spots, then Winsor Yellow over most of the background. After it's dry I applied Antwerp Blue. In some spots I've gone over it twice with both the yellow and blue because it wasn't intense enough for my liking.

I'm quite pleased with the bright green next to the pink...kind of shocking....but really quite accurate to the real life intensity

thanks for peeking
em

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2003, 06:31 PM
WC! Guide
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
oh YEAH!!!!!!