WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India
Watercolor Study - 8 & 9 - Landscape scene - 7 & 8

Today I started on a study on 140LB paper. Got frustrated with how it resulted. I seem to do ok with wet on wet washes. But when it comes to slightly complicated tonal changes that have both a hard edge and a soft edge, more so, when the tonal changes are in a small area, I have trouble, so the washes end up all soft ( if I apply when still damp ) or, the washes tend to end up muddy and haphazard with all brush strokes visible

After a (long)while, I decided to do another experiment , this time with a 300LB Strathmore paper. Felt better. I could control water a much better on this. Now, am stumped. I don't want to feel pampered by higher quality paper and not learn being able to control water on 140 LB paper. My mind says, I should keep working on 140 LB paper consistently until I get a handle of it, but problem is, sometimes the results are dismal and it's depressing. Sorry for the ramble... just was a bit frustrated Am attaching both efforts. The first one based on Joe Garcia's book and the second one using my own reference photo.

paper/palette info:
Paper: Strathmore Cold press 140 LB paper.
Size: ~ 8.5" X 7"
Palette: Cobalt blue, raw sienna, burnt sienna, alizarin crimson
techniques used: Wet on wet wash, wet on dry, scraping with knife.

paper/palette info:
Paper: Strathmore Cold press 3000 LB paper.
Size: ~ 13" X 7"
Palette: hooker's green, raw umber, burnt umber, ultramarine blue
techniques used: Wet on wet wash, wet on dry, scraping with knife.

Comments and critiques welcomed as usual. ( Dang! The farthest wheel is missing spokes )
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Watercolor Study - 8 & 9 - Landscape scene - 7 & 8

Kiran, it looks you improving...I am also a learner, would suggest you to work on 140lb till you feel confident. Here many experienced artists, wait for their tips and keep painting...
Darshana
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Wigan Lancashire England

Hails from England

Kiran - I really like both of these although my favourite would be the second one - nice palette on both - looking forward to seeing more.

Pat
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I like 'em both Kiran. Your first one is typical of the marsh scenes around West Lancashire.

The spokes are easily added.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 AM
A WC! Legend
A Californian! Coming Home Soon!

Hails from United States

missing spokes, no problem.
I think the paper weight is going to be your own personal preference
according to the desired results you prefer as well.
Use & do what is most enjoyable for you. We all have our own unique "touch".
I enjoy the sky and water in the first,
and I enjoy the entire over-all look of the second.

Gladys Marie "I'm somewhere...in the future...and I look much better than I look right now!" ...KIM CLEMENT
Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Wonderful!!! ...MAE WEST
*WETCANVAS MEMBER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD*
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 AM
A Local Legend
to pastures new

Hails from England

Kiran you did 2 different paintings with 2 different papers. if you had done the same painting on different paper than you could tell the difference in the painting but thse 2 scenes are very different although the technic might be the same. it's hard to explain (yeah i know i keep repeating meself) anyway it really is hard to explain, using the same technic doens't mean you are able to paint everything like a piece of cake. there's much more into that than just be able to use a technic. it depends on the subject for one thing, e.g. me, i am just not into nature, reads i can't do fo the life of me any foliage, a bit in the bg that's ok, but if it comes to overcoming greens i am at lost, i just see green and am lost. it's like r/l i am not an outdoor gal, i load it and that shows in my paintings. anyway hope you get the idea. paint the same scene on different paper and you can tell which one suits you best. but do paint a scene that suits you also. i don't think 300lb are neccesarily, but that's just me, i also prefer hot press to cold press. i mostly work on hot pressed paper. i just love to work on hot press, but as i said in the above, not even on hot press i can do foliage en mass.

ok now your paintings. both are fabulous, nothing wrong with them. so i don't relly know what you were talking about. i prefer #1 because it's inviting. #2 makes a nice pic. i look at it and ok, that's it while #1 is kinda interesting.....like, i can me see taking a walk around, you know, while #2 is just like looking at a photo, like, uhm nice one, next one please. does it make sense?

btw 3000 lb, my my i hope your table dind't broke down or did it

Last edited by doubleL : 02-26-2011 at 05:56 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Richmond, VA

Hails from United States

Okay Kiran, time to stop studying and take off. You are doing great!
All work is WIP until bought and shipped!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Scotland

I like the colours in the first one, but overall prefer the 2nd painting. I wouldn't have noticed the missing spokes if you hadn't mentioned them

www.louisehaggarty.webs.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Tennessee

Hails from India

Hi Kiran!!
The first word which came into my mind after viewing them was...FANTASTIC... ...What a speedy progress you are making Kiran...

Both of them are beautiful...But personally I liked the second one becoz it reminds of an Indian village scene...A scene I would love to paint...But I dont have any reference photos....

About the paper I agree with you because I also use the same paper..and thinking to change the brand...I hope that may work..but keep practicing on 140lb paper...

Overall...you are doing a great job...Hope to see some more beautiful work from your side
Happy Painting!!!
Swati.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Immortalized
Italy

Hails from Italy

Beautiful, both of them!

Marisa's Group Challenge - Month 8 - Freedom
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India

Hi Darshana, thanks! Yep, am gonna continue on the 140 LB paper. For one, 300Lb paper is gonna be expensive to try studies on

Hi Pat, thanks for the thumbs up. Am glad you like the second one.

Hi Doug, thanks for the nice words. Lancashire must be a nice place to visit , from what you say !!

Hi Gladys Marie, thanks! Glad you like the paintings. I hear what you say about find what works for oneself. I do think 300 LB works for me better, but I am curious to work more on 140LB and see if it is something that might take time to getting used to. Maybe, with time, I might find the 140 LB paper perfect for certain types of paintings??

Hi Llalena, first off. Thanks for the thumbs up on the 2 and also for sharing your thoughts on how you see either of them. I can see a point about the comparison not being apples to apples. I wasn't really unhappy with either of them thematically, because both appeal to me. What I was unhappy, or rather confused at this moment, is the difference in the feel. It's probably the engineer-side inside of me that is conflicting with the art-side. As an engineer, 2 + 3 = 5 under any circumstance. But this watercolor thing, I drop a blue pigment on same paper 2 different times, it's all different outcome. It's the unpredictability and the timing that you talked about , that sometimes baffles me. I know experience is key, so I'll continue to plod along. BTW, hats off to you to work on Hotpress paper. I love Hot Press paper too, but that's something I use for finer graphite and charcoal work. Arches HP is a fantastic surface for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleL
btw 3000 lb, my my i hope your table dind't broke down or did it
Well... our dear Mr. Arnold Schwarznegger just finished his 2nd term as California governor, so he was helping me out with that

Oh no, Mark, it's like pushing a person who just learnt floating into the 10 feet zone !!! Thanks for your vote of confidence though

Hi Lousie, thanks for the thumbs up! Am sure you wouldn't have noticed the missing spokes when you saw them, but you'd realize it soon if you were to start riding in the carriage Just kidding...

Hi Swati, thanks for your encouraging words. I need to try some other papers also, that when this stock of mine gets over. Currently, am enjoying ( though frustrating at times ) the exploration. I think , part of the frustration is because, am working with master Joe Garcia's painting itself as a reference, so it is easy to compare mine against his and notice all sorts of failures and wonder how he gets such fantastic results with the same size of paper. The pressure is lesser when working off of photographs.

Am also glad you like the second one. That was based on a photo I took in a place called Old Town in San Diego. I do have some more pics from different angles. If you are interested in any, I can upload them here to the RIL, I guess. Just give me a shout. If you are interested in rural Indian scenes, you might like S.S.Shaikh's work. I used to have a calendar of his paintings when I was a kid of 9-10 years and those paintings are etched firmly in my mind. You might like them.

Hi Marisa , grazie..
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Kiran, lovely both. Like the second one best because I like details! Hmmm, suggest Arches paper, you know!!

Katherine
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hey, hey, hey.. you are making headway my friend. I will choose the second only because it's your own interpretation of your own referece and because it's really better than the copy. The foliage is great with the brown and green mix. It's funny you did the soft and hard edges on that wonderfully. My trick for that is the double brush technique. One brush for applying the colour and the other is just with clean water to soften some of the edges. That would be a wet on dry application. Just make sure the clean brush is not soaking when feathering some of the edges or else you'll flood the applied colour. Fine job. Keep them coming.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Mt Nebo Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

They're both pretty good sketches.

Don't get frustrated ... do more ... nothing surpasses learning by doing ... the more you do the more you learn.
My Flickr Site
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2011, 01:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ontario

Hails from Canada

nice paintings , like both of them.