WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Naked People doing stupid Things?

Now that I have your attention...

I've noticed in art the artists desire to sculpt, paint or draw the human figure in all its anatomical glory in "a dynamic pose" of some sort, but what sort of pose? It seems easy if you are making a sculpture about a god/goddess, or an athelete thowing a javelin or a disc, but what about the rest of us normal people who are not Olympic athletes? Degas and Latrec did ballarinas and laudresses, probably ladies of the night-- they had a reason to be half clad or utterly sans covering, but you usually don't see naked people walking around, so nakedness is always going to be a little odd. So I was sculpting my little naked lady, thinking, "so what do I give her to do?" I was at a loss. I could probably give her a long neck beer and a cigarette, and title the piece "Miller Time" or something like that, but that would give away my social status here, and I do have my pride.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Re: Naked People doing stupid Things?

Someone beat you to it, its called U.S. Interest by Russell Biles.

As I read your post, I am reminded of a quote I recently read in a sculpture book. Unfortunately I cannot find it just now, so I can neither quote it accurately nor give due credit. But it is something like "Modern artists seem to be obsessed with nudity for the sake of nudity, though it adds nothing to piece itself."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I think nude sculptures are good practice. How long ago was that quote made? It seems to me, that on the "fine art" side there are lots of nude drawings and sculptures. People in the 3rd tier sort of shy away from nudes. I've been painting and drawing nudes since high school, and that is a long time back.

I think there is just a certain pleasure in doing a nice accurate figurative piece. I am not sure that it adds nothing.

I do like the sarcastic title of the Biles piece. I actually think that several "realists" have done similar works.

Since I do want it to be in a 2nd to 3rd tier gallery at some point, I suppose I will put her in a bating suit. I have been itching to do several "beach scenes" anyway.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM

I didn't quote it accurately. I will look harder and find it. What I took from the actual quote was the artist is saying that too many modern "artists" are using nudes to display their own perversions in a "socially acceptable way." This isn't a judgement of what you are doing, because I don't really know what you are doing. As I originally read your post, I thought you were lamenting the overuse of nudes today. But you were actually trying to find a way to use your little naked lady in a way that adds to the overall work?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

NOpe HM. I'm trying to find her something to do. Like holding something in her hands or something. I have seen some pretty perverse nude art, but you know, we are not moralists. It's kind of silly to attach meaning to everything, but-- there it is. Anyway, I decided she will be wringing out a towel or something. Don't know why. Just seems to make sense.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Why not have her drying her hair? (I just got out of a bath and was doing that very thing). Give her long hair and a towel and you can twist her body in interesting ways. Do another with her using the towel to dry her back - or to dry her bum, which is the way I was taught to do the Twist back when it was first invented, LOL. There are lots of ways to have a 'dynamic" pose. You could have her dressing, perhaps already in bra and panties and just starting to pull on stockings (not pantyhose - those would be horribly awkward to sculpt!) Think about what you do when you're nude (usually something involving the shower or bath or drying your hair, I imagine - and dressing, of course). Sculpting a woman fastening her bra would be a good exercise in anatomy, with the muscles showing in her arms, shoulders, chest and back from being torqued in that position. I think you could create a fun series around a "bathing" theme. Just a thought.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Ah yes, the sqeezing into my sports-bra pose! I guess I was fighting the arms up doing the hairpin thing because it is such an iconic pose. My little figure is a bit on the awkward side. I'm trying to get a few things together that I can sell for less than 1000 dollars. Since I am so much better with human figures than horses, or can sculpt them more rapidly, I can lower the amount of time it takes to do them, and so they are more cost effective for me. I guess, they may be horrible. I have been very sick with a cold lately-- I usually get one in late winter to early spring, so this is due. I had laryngitis the other day-- practical muteness, and I am sure everyone here knows how it feels-- big stuffy head, walking around in a cloud, nose dripping, coughing up yuck. I'm not sickly generally, just twice a year I know I catch a cold.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Argh, sorry you're sick! As for the "arms up pinning up her hair" pose - there's always the "arms down drying off her leg" pose, LOL! Feel better soon!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
I could probably give her a long neck beer and a cigarette, and title the piece "Miller Time" or something like that, but that would give away my social status here, and I do have my pride.

Not sure if this was meant to be funny but you made me laugh out loud! Sorry if that wasn't your intention!

I'm with Lynda - think about the things we girls do - the little lady could be showering, drying off etc. Not sure about the towel thing but then I personally like to put my ipod on and rock out when drying my hair and that would never work as a sculpt!

I know your not going for the superhero type body but have to share this one - the composition is just awesome! http://www.artbrokerage.com/artist/Franco-Castelluccio/Indomitable-Will-Sculpture-35705

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Sher - I LOVE that kind of dynamic pose! The Lundeens do beautiful, romantic bronzes (lifesize) of ladies on swings that have ropes going up in the air attached to nothing, like the rope this guy's pulling on. I love their work (George and Cammie Lundeen - brother and sister in CO - there's another brother who's a sculptor too, IIRC) - oh yeah, here's their website - it's a family thing: http://www.lundeensculpture.com/ George started the Loveland Sculpture Invitational after the other Loveland show got too "stuffy," LOL - he wanted it to have a party atmosphere, and it does. Nice folks, and so talented!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hey guys! George Lundeen is the brother of a close friend of my neighbor. We were looking at this site just last week when she was telling me about a horse sculpture he (or one of them) did in the Denver Airport. I'll probably end up meeting them at some point. I like their work, but I have a feeling I will be getting a little more esoteric like the Castelluccio. I can't even imagine getting that far-- look at those resumes! I'm like did a few things then dropped out of sight for 20 years. Makes me hit myself.

Oh-- this too, looking at any collection like this really gives me the spirit to go on. I must say that I think that all the people telling me to specialize in some isolated genre have not seen artists like these. I mean, do one sort of thing? He** no!

Last edited by Use Her Name : 02-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Cool beaners! Cammie's the one who does horses. She's in the American Academy of Equine Art (so am I, actually, although I'm an associate and I think she's a full member - I don't want to pay dues that high!!) She does beautiful work.

Yeah, the Lundeens are both inspiring and frustrating!! So much talent and living in exactly the right place to be sculptors! I'd be envious but that's a waste of time. I'll just keep plugging away at my own stuff and improving my skills as best I can, and enjoy whatever success I have while admiring the heck out of their work!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I am often shushed by people who think "If you want it" or "If you work for it" somehow it comes to you. I know first hand what it is to both graduate cum laude from a good university and yet never get a decent job, and also what it is to be highly talented but still live in poverty.

In many ways, becoming what you "should" become is the end result of your connections, and location. Factors are also social class, color, and sex, but it is mainly who you are related to, (or know) and where you live that gets you the job. Right now I am lucky to have slipped into a good situation for an artist, in a sense because of my "business partner's" connections.

Talent is important in the end, but having a family member (or two) who are already well established is a real career boost.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Since I'm not related to anyone influential in the art biz (although my daughter's becoming more and more influential in the dressage industry, being her mother hasn't resulted in any big sales) and I'm not in a good area for the kind of work I do, I still get a good many jobs from having a good website. Yesterday I spent literally hours on the phone talking to three people about various aspects of my business. One call resulted in a sale of a book and a budding friendship, another helped an aspiring writer along the way, and the third may result in 103 trophies, 100 small ones and three bronze ones, only one of which I'd have to sculpt from scratch. That's a pretty darned good day, and all but the writer's call came from my website just hanging out there generating business. A good website is a godsend to an artist. I get commissions and trophy jobs all the time from people I've never met who are astonished to learn I'm in Ohio and my foundry is in Oregon. So to your list of stuff required to be a successful artist, I'd add "a good website with solid information and lots of good pictures - from each side - of everything you make." Since I deal with people online or on the phone, my age (becoming more ancient every day - 61 at present), physical shape (much too cuddly), color (blond), the fact that my degree is in music, not art, and that I'm a self-taught sculptor don't seem to make any difference. I'd love to sell more of my existing work rather than get new commissions as often as I do, but hey, they keep me busy and I'm happier when I'm busy. I have plenty of work to keep me busy for a long time. I'd actually like to clone myself more often than not so I could get back to my original pieces, LOL! But I like making people happy and the commission work does that as well as helping to pay the bills.

Last edited by ArtsyLynda : 02-08-2011 at 02:19 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I agree, a good website is probably the best tool out there. Art is a very odd game. I am so overwhelmed after reading the latest "Sculpture" magazine. If you put a white curtain behind anything and take a good picture, it is almost like everything looks like a good idea.