WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Johannes Student Discussion Week 11-April 9 class

DOWNLOADABLE LESSONS NOW AVAILABLE!

We are pleased to announce that the first half of the series (12 lessons), “Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos” is now available for purchase and download from Northlight. These are the recordings of the classes you have been taking. You can buy the whole set or individual lessons. They can be permanently stored on your hard drive or copied on DVD’s to play in your DVD player on TV (compatible DVD player). You may want to do that for the demos.
They are offering a 10% discount when you type in “WCLIVE” in the apply code box which is located about an inch below after you click on “Add to Cart”. Click on this link to access the downloadable lessons:
HTTP://IMPROVEMYPAINTINGS.COM/RECORDED%20CLASSES.HTML
RIGHT CLICK ON THE DOWNLOAD LINK AND SELECT "SAVE LINK AS" AND IT WILL DOWNLOAD ONTO YOUR DESKTOP OR WHEREVER YOU WANT IT TO GO. THEN IT WILL PLAY IN QUICK TIME PLAYER OR WHATEVER PLAYER YOU HAVE INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER.

WEB CLASS HANDOUTS
You can download today’s handout (Handout class 21 photos to painting.pdf) as well as the previous handouts posted at this link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...2#post13306872

WEB CLASS INFO
Today we have an important class. The first hour Johannes will go over the bare tree submissions. During the second hour he will teach on color harmony. You don’t want to miss that. The web class room will be open at 2 PM EST (1 hour early class starts at 3 PM EST) so you can assure your place by boarding early. We are overbooked.

On behalf of F&W media (publisher of the “The Artist’s Magazine” as well as many instructional books sold worldwide) and Johannes Vloothuis, we welcome you.
Don’t forget to visit our Recommended Books section to purchase very useful books on landscape painting.
http://improvemypaintings.com/recommended%20books.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: Johannes-Student Discussions Week 10

Great a guest, Nice Johannes!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: Johannes-Student Discussions Week 10

can we see his work?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Essex Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Johannes Student Discussion Week 11-April 9 class-Color Harmony

Still listening, to the webinar, as I type... This has been an absolutely riveting lesson Johannes, I have been painting for a few years, and haven't done too bad, but you put a colour wheel in front of me and my mind would go blank, you have made it so clear. I am itching to start on mine, but had better go to bed first, as it is past 11... Thank Johannes.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM
oCDs01-711

Brilliant class. So many concepts clearly and simply stated. I am one of the "lurkers," and I listen very attentively. Today's lessons on color harmony was so worth the time! Thank you.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM

While I am not a newbie to Wet Canvas articles or to P&W Publications, this is the first Webinar class for me. I recently joined WC and this is my first post. I have been painting for many years and have learned more from Johannes's classes than all the others I have taken rolled into one. Johannes, I want to thank you for all the little "gems" that no one ever shared with me in the past. My enthusiam had become nonexistent but now I am motivated and excited when I pick up my paint brush.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Wyoming

Hails from United States

Yes I have to agree with the others...while all of your classes are excellent todays was really WOW...maybe it's because things are starting to come together but totally wowed by the lesson today, thank you so much. I'm downloading the two classes that I missed, and I just want to say that I hope everyone is buying the books and downloading the lessons, this kind of training would cost thousands of dollars if we were to attend workshops. I have ordered all but two of the books and I'm going to do that now...so grateful to F&W for making this possible, to Johannes for sharing so freely with us, what a gift you are...to Kenneth for putting up with us and answering our questions and to Judy...thank you all...can't say it enough....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Wyoming

Hails from United States

ps... I downloaded lesson 7, and it's great...the quality is excellent, wow I think I'll download this weekends too, will you let us know when it's available? I know I'll want to refer to the lesson on color harmony frequently...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 PM

If you have yellow ochre , can you modify it to become a yellow ochre pale?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat-trew
If you have yellow ochre , can you modify it to become a yellow ochre pale?

You can add cadmiun lemon or other primary yellows but I would still buy the yellow ochre pale. It is just great for landscape painting. I can't live with out. the advantage of this pigment is it doesn't get chalky.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles, California

Hails from United States

Johannes, I'm deeply grateful for your review of my painting in today's class, I'm humbled by your positive comments which are very encouraging. I was inspired by one of the paintings on Ted Kautzky's book, I have all his books which we studied in architectural school to learn architectural renderings in pencil, and watercolor.
And, thank you for such brilliant class today on color harmony, I learned today in three hours what I didn't in lots of books and workshops for years.
EDGAR DEGAS
"If you ignore beauty you will soon find yourself without it.But, if you invest in beauty it will remain with you all the days of your life"
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcedeno
Johannes, I'm deeply grateful for your review of my painting in today's class, I'm humbled by your positive comments which are very encouraging. I was inspired by one of the paintings on Ted Kautzky's book, I have all his books which we studied in architectural school to learn architectural renderings in pencil, and watercolor.
And, thank you for such brilliant class today on color harmony, I learned today in three hours what I didn't in lots of books and workshops for years.
He is known for his dry brush technique. He handles foliage nicely too. I am not that crazy about his dark values and some color schemes he uses.
Here are some pages of that book.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=k_FW...page&q&f=false

Last edited by Johannes Instructor : 04-09-2011 at 09:17 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Johannes,

Thank you once again for a very informative class and your critique of the winter trees I had done. It's really helpful when you point out how to improve. Had no idea the cheaper paints would cause mud when mixing although I have experienced it : (

I've been using the "other" cheaper brands and because of the information you gave I wanted to get a better brand of acrylics. Went out to the on-line stores that sell the W&N and after I checked 3 places was surprised they don't have Viridian or Indian Red in the W&N Acrylics. They have it in oil only which I have mostly avoided because of my Asthma.

I did consider using the Oil that cleans up with water but wasn't sure if the quality of the paint is good - any thoughts on that?

Do you happen to purchase your Winsor & Newton acrylics from one of the on-line art stores that you could recommend?

Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 AM

Re: News Alert! Recorded Webclasses are now available

I thought the videos probably would have the cuts, someone losing video, etc but they edited them pro style. I missed the first two weekends before I knew about the class. I've told several about the class but they think they are too old to be learning more. I don't think you are ever to old to learn. I thought I had good paintings but looking at yours made me want to make mine better. Last week the one I painted was the worse ever I painted but I had to work on my computer all week and was frustrated and just was not thinking as I knew the background should be lighter etc. It was like a different person was painting. Have you ever had days like that? Some one once told me I had many personalities and looking at this last painting I believe it. About the Harmony class, I think you did a real good job at explaining it. I thought you took a color and spread it here and there in your painting to harmonize. I think the putting yellow in every color on a sunshine day is a simple way to do it. Thanks again Johannes
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresgatos
Johannes,

Thank you once again for a very informative class and your critique of the winter trees I had done. It's really helpful when you point out how to improve. Had no idea the cheaper paints would cause mud when mixing although I have experienced it : (

I've been using the "other" cheaper brands and because of the information you gave I wanted to get a better brand of acrylics. Went out to the on-line stores that sell the W&N and after I checked 3 places was surprised they don't have Viridian or Indian Red in the W&N Acrylics. They have it in oil only which I have mostly avoided because of my Asthma.

I did consider using the Oil that cleans up with water but wasn't sure if the quality of the paint is good - any thoughts on that?

Do you happen to purchase your Winsor & Newton acrylics from one of the on-line art stores that you could recommend?

Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara
Honestly I would prefer water soluble oils over acrylics. The pigments themselves in oils and acrylics are exactly the same so if health is your concern you gain nothing using acrylics over oils. For example burnt sienna pigment is exactly the same in oils, watercolor, acrylics, and pastels. The only difference bewteen them is the binder that holds the powder together. The binder for oils is usually linseed oil which is no more or less toxic than cooking oil. It comes from totally natural sources. The only thing left then would be the petroleum based solvents such as turpentine and mineral spirits which is what some people are concerned about breathing. When you use water soluble oils you will eliminate the solvents so you are now in the same boat as with acrylics but without the blending advantages. The three leading online stores that have discount prices are, rexart, cheap joe's or dickblick. I would cross check prices in each. I would order the winsor & newton water solubles that are not student quality.