WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Johannes Vloothuis "Landscapes from Photos" Class Notes

Sorry about the blurry bit at the bottom right. I think my knee sweated a little while I was holding the sketchbook on my lap.

You can't see the lines, but this sketchbook has a ruled left column and blank right column for drawing. That encourages me to give my sketch illustrations more space.

I'm using a Bienfang Notesketch for this. It's ruled in the left column and the right column isn't, so that helps me organize the information and sketches on the big letter size pages so well. I think I like it a lot better for note-taking. Even though the non-photo blue lines drop out, it's easier to follow the columns.

Odds are that's what'll fill most of this journal. I've also got a half page size one that I might start using for notes and sketches on my novel Sabertooth.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Denver, CO--Rocky Mountains!

Hails from United States
Re: Johannes Vloothuis "Landscapes from Photos" Class Notes

Wow! Thank you for providing your Journal notes of Johannes' class. I was so busy trying to follow the course and my note-taking is just lousy. I am so very slow at it--really out of habit now.

Also, I am an aspiring (beginner) wildlife artist/painter. I really like the thumbnails you have in your signature. Very nice. I look forward to exploring your websites.

Blessings,

Kate
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks John. I'm glad I found this thread. Your notes make so much more sense than mine. I am still having problems finding where to post my picture. Thanks, Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

YAY. . . this was a great first class, huh? And I love this format that the webinar in, it works really well for me, today at least

Thanks for the notes.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

You are a saint to share your notes with us. I was late getting to class today and your awesome notes filled in what I missed. Thank you so much.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 AM

Could someone help me find this class? I need more than www.wetcanvas.com.
Thanks.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Buenos Aires

Hails from Argentina

Thanks so much! I was looking for such a kind soul, as I could not attend the first class thank you!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you all! Okay, here we go. First...

Here's my notes from today's session!

Yep, I surprised myself on the value scale this time. Usually I have problems with them but trying to do one in pen and ink worked much better than usual. Normally I get good values for the 5 to 10 range and a hard time with the lighter values, but this time I think it's fairly even!

Printed value scales are better. I only did it to demonstrate that 1 is white and there are ten values.

One thing I get out of doing these notes is so much practice making thumbnails! This one I was sketching from the memory of a painting I did and completely changed its composition by making it a more elongated rectangle and moving things around. Shows how memory can play tricks!

Four and a half pages today. I guess I'll start next weekend with a half page!

Okay - here are some Important Links!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522 The forum that all the class material is in: "WetCanvas Live!" - it's a subforum of Landscapes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869472 - Classroom Exercises Posting Thread: only post your assignments. Johannes asked yesterday for folks to post their chosen photo references that they took. So that's what's in it now. Next week we'll all be posting our crops in it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864472 Johannes Student Critiques. Post ART here to get critique from Johannes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860272 Johannes Student Discussion Lounge: notes from class, sign-ups, discussions of class material, questions about how to get in. This is where he posts the links to get in when there is something wrong. Today there was something really wrong, no one's previous personal links worked and no one's prevous registrations showed up. So we all had to register again on a new link. This is where he posted it.

This is the one to watch for any news about navigating and getting in as well as to discuss class material.

Bill, I hope that helps. Once you're used to that forum the threads are self explanatory. I might direct people to this journal thread too if they have trouble finding my notes, but I also jotted down the post number for them in the discussion thread so that I have it handy when people ask.

Thank you again for such an overwhelming response! I am so glad others enjoy my notes. Please do take notes even if you don't think they're as good as mine. What you write down for yourself, your hands remember, you remember it differently. When you try to draw the little thumbnails every time you do it you will get better at retaining his design principles.

I am not kidding. I am improving really fast because I do half a dozen to a dozen tiny thumbnails per class I've attended. If yours don't look good to start, just doing them and trying repeatedly that many times helps a lot. Especially if you try to jot just the main point and do it in a minute or two without worrying about mistakes.

Now if only I can get used to copying successful thumbnails accurately enough to keep the winning composition when I start painting it! That's a little personal gap of mine that I'll be tackling sometime during this course. I might have to resort to enlarging my thumbnails on the scanner and tracing them with a light box!

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

You are a wonderful resource! I remembered to tune into class at the right time. Half way through my mom called long distance. Can't tell mom that I'm taking a live online class on painting when she wants to talk. Thanks again. And, yes, I was taking notes, but, well, I missed half the class. *sigh*
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Thanks for sharing, Robert
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Northeast Washington

Hails from United States

thanks for sharing Robert, its maddening when I have to leave the webinar for some real time event or other. This is priceless for me.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Buenos Aires

Hails from Argentina

Tks again Robert! Fortunately yesterday I was able to attend the class without problem and made my own notes, anyway I like reading yours cause you may pay attention to different details than me.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Buenos Aires

Hails from Argentina

Robert, I made pdf files with your notes, so they can be easily seen. If you don't mind, I can attach them here so anyone can download them.
Please tell me if it's ok for you Thanks!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Analia, thank you! Yes, please do attach the PDF versions here. I appreciate it!

Debby, that sounds so frustrating. You remind me that I'm lucky - my family understands when I'm taking any live online class and stays out of my room till it's over. Once when there was a problem with the sound, they asked me to use headphones for it because Johannes's voice was coming through with a lot of distortion. Other than that, they've been so supportive.

EP and hungry4art, thank you!

I'll keep posting them here throughout the entire course, that way folks can always find them all in one place.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Buenos Aires

Hails from Argentina

Well, unfortunately the pdf's I made on your notes are too heavy to be attached here, even if I zip them, let's say that 1 MB is not so much space... So I offer everybody to send them attached to an e-mail, anybody who wants the files give me a message and you get them.
I'll do the same the following weeks so in the end we'll have all Robert's notes in one file.
Hope you find this useful