WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 01:16 AM
California

Hails from United States
Question about shipping pastels

I have some pastel artwork done on canvas board. How would I go about shipping them that doesn't require framing. I haven't sprayed them with fixative (don't plan on doing it either) and I'm afraid the pastel will smear. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks bunches,
Andrea
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 10:39 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
I would put a piece of GLASSINE paper over the top and tape it down. Then I would put the pastel flat between two sheets of FOME CORE board, which weighs nothing, and then I would pack it in strong brown paper for sending.

I am sure you will be offered lots of other ideas.
J
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 12:07 PM
California

Hails from United States
Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Now I just have to go find glassine paper. I've never seen it before. I'll just have to take a trip down to the art store. Should be fun

Andrea
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast
Halfmoon Bay, B.C.

Hails from Canada
I've done it practically the same way as Jackie suggests and sent a piece across the country. It worked really well. The only additional step I did was after taping (not much tape) it to the foam core backing with glassine on top, I cut a piece of foam core as though it was a mat and put that over top the pastel. Then the top piece of foam core went on, so I had three layers, but nothing was actually toughing the pastel/glassine. Does this make sense, Andrea?

Katherine
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 01:16 PM
California

Hails from United States
Ack. . I am confused. . did you mean you put the glassine on first then the foam core? Can you number the steps for me. I'm a little tired right now. hahahaha I'm going to the art store in about 6 hours. . so I have plenty of time to learn it by then. Should I enclose a note or something telling the person not to touch the pastel part? Thanks again for all the help! Yesterday I thought there wasn't a way for me to ship it, so knowing that I can has just made my day.

Andrea
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast
Halfmoon Bay, B.C.

Hails from Canada
Hi Andrea. Just on my way out the door but thought I'd do a drawing and scan it, but it was too big a file. So I guess I won't be able to do it for several hours now until I get home. Don't despair, I can get it right and I hope make it easier to understand!

Katherine
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 05:12 PM
California

Hails from United States
Thanks a bunch. I'll be eagerly waiting for it!

Andrea
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 07:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States
I use glasine now and sandwich my pastel as Jackie mentioned above.

But before I had the glasine for protection, I used foamcore like this...

on the bottom, foamcore cut a bit larger than the painting.
Next layer up, the pastel painting.
Next layer, foamcore strips cut to fit down the sides on the painting, without touching the pastel...like a mat. I stapled this to the backing foamcore along the edges.

Now you have the painting tucked between your "mat" and the back piece of foamcore.

Last, I cut another piece of foamcore the same size as the backing piece. Lay it over the top of the painting...it won't touch because of the foamcore acting like a mat.

I use mounting tape at the top of the painting..wet it on the front side and back side, but leave the top edge unglued.

Then I put a piece of tape at the bottom of the sandwich to hold it shut with an arrow and note to "Clip Here!"

Then the new owner can open the front foamcore to the back and sit the painting up to view. The hinges at the top will hold it together like a stand. I then wrap the painting 'sandwich' in tissue paper...then stuff the box with tissue to keep the sandwich centered. I don't want it to bounce around inside the box but I don't want it to be too tight either. I find that bubble wrap or tissue paper works well for the insulation.

I also include a letter telling the buyer to keep the painting in the foamcore sandwich for protection until its framed. I also tell them to use "real" glass to prevent static electricity from acrylic glass loosening particles from the painting and that a space between the painting and their mats will keep the glass and mats clean. I add that a few fallen particles do not detract from the beauty or value of their paintings.

To add one more thought....if the painting is quite large and you don't use glasine paper for a tight sandwich, then its important to add a 'cross bar' of foamcore in the front of the painting to keep the top layer of foamcore from being pressed onto the painting.

I've shipped about 20 pastels in the past few months and none have had any damage!
carly

Last edited by CarlyHardy : 02-06-2003 at 07:33 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Thanks Carly for posting this, I've only once shipped a pastel abroad unframed, all others have been framed and that's a headache too. I didn't know about foamcore then, so I had it mounted/matted, then covered it with glassine paper, then wrapped it in bubble wrap, then cut strips of packing card, the corrugated stuff, and bent this and placed all around the edges of the painting, taping it to the bubble wrap. I then cut two more pieces of card and place one on the bottom and one on the top and taped them too. I then placed it all into a padded envelope.

My client assured me that it had arrived in pristine condition, and was thrilled. the foam core sounds easier though.

thanks for the info.

cheers,
Mo.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast
Halfmoon Bay, B.C.

Hails from Canada
Here I am again, Andrea and my method is almost a duplicate of Carly's with very minor variations. But I promised a visual, so here it is. I've used Carly's method for 'displaying', and it really works. With her version of taping, that's essentially what my packing method is.

Katherine

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 08:25 PM
California

Hails from United States
OK. . I think I see where I am getting lost. . . You have the mat on the edges of the actual pastel painting but not touching the pastel part? My pastel painting is on canvas board and is drawn all the way to the edge. Does this make a difference in the set up? So they way I am understanding it, if I have the foamcore on the bottom and I staple a mat on without touching the pastel, my painting would just float in the middle. So if I put the top piece on, my canvas board would just wobble in there (although not that much). Could I just wrap it in glassine and do the same thing only it would be a little canvas board box sortof thing? Let me know if I am just totally lost. It's hard for me to visualize something I've never done or seen anyone do.

Confused . . I think,
Andrea
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 08:27 PM
California

Hails from United States
Ok disregard that last comment. I get it now. Woo hoo.

Thanks so much everyone for all the help. The visual was what made me understand finally.

Andrea
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2003, 02:57 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
One last comment. If you paint all the way to the edge of the canvas board, or piece of paper, this doesn't allow for putting the pic under a mat. You should always leave a bit of space at the edges for this, unless you plan to "float" the pic inside a mat.

You could always tape some narrow masking tape at the edges of your board or paper, and this could then be stripped off when you have finished your work, leaving a lovely crisp edge to your pic.

Jackie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2003, 03:14 AM
California

Hails from United States
That is a good idea Jackie. I plan to do that next time. I'm obviously inexperienced I didn't realize it would create a problem till it was too late.