WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Portland, Maine

Hails from United States
what color should I paint my studio

Hello everyone!

I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what color I should paint my studio? I rent a space in this old building that is just workspace for artists and such and it needs to be spruced up big time!!!! I've been there for 4 years and painting is long over due. I was sort of thinking a medium shade of periwinkle....or should I do something funky? What color would make for a good working environment? You know how restaraunts choose colors that are supposed to make people eat more.......well I don't want to spend all my time at the torch hungry.....LOL!!!! I want to feel happy and comfortable and creative. Maybe a color with warm undertones? Any suggestions, hints, or wisdom from your own experiences will be greatly appreciated

Heather

PS: When it's done (hopefully by the end of next week) I will post before and after pictures.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 01:37 PM
A Local Legend
Saint George Island, FL & Stafford Springs, CT

Hails from United States
Heather - I have always loved yellow. It seems yuo love blue. How about combining the two. A pretty shade of blue with a pale butter yellow. You could get very artistic by maybe painting the bottom bart of the wall in one color and the top the other. Rather than a straight line delineating them - how about a wavy line. Nothing really wild or fancy. You can then hang up stuff to flesh out the look. Crisp white of course looks good against both of these colors. I would probably paint in other details myself. What fun for you. Please post a pic when it's done!

pat

A great exercise for the heart is to reach down and lift someone up.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 01:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Heather, I would encourage you to use a very soft light color instead of a bright or richly saturated color, which can become overbearing. You can't go wrong with a color which reflects as much light as possible. Pick your favorite color, just get the lightest tint of it, so it almost looks white. In a larger space, the colors on the wall always get much darker than they look on the color chip.

Good luck! Val
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Heather,
This is going to sound boring but I painted my studio the brightest white I could find. Mind you, my studio is only 12X8 so it's a small space but I wanted it as bright as I could get. When I was working in a room in my house, it seemed everytime I took a bead out of the flame to look at it, it was against a colored wall and I wasn't looking at the true color of the bead. Hence, the white walls in my studio. I also have my glass rods in glass vases against the walls which are like splashes of color here and there. I've also hung on the walls, two collections of miniature glass bottles I collect. Actually, hubby hung them in my studio to give him more wall space in the house for his bottle collection! Anyway, this was just the reasoning behind my color choice in my studio.

Glassjunkie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Corning, New York

Hails from United States
What a truly personal and difficult decision.

Like you, periwinkle is one of my favorites. Since it's a warmer blue, it's calming, but still somehow stimulating.

I also like orange. It's stimulating, but a very saturated orange may be overwhelming after a while.

Green has been my favorite color forever. I'm in the process of painting my living room in a medium, slightly grayed-down sage green. I plan on painting other rooms butter yellow, peach (with the slightest hint of pink), beige, and blue.

What color scheme do you work with most? You may want to choose a color which co-ordinates with your work, or which contrasts with it, and thus, sets it off.

Good luck! Post pix when you're done!

"Life is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States
This is such a personal decision but this is what I did in one of my spare rooms...

I used periwinkle and chartreuse. For me the chartreuse is stimulating but the periwinkle calms it down and has made the room my most favorite room to be in. Because I love Chartreuse I painted my studio chartreuse but chose not to paint the periwinkle but rather a raspberry. If I was to do it over I would use the periwinkle again.

Good luck,
n

Neatobeado.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Traverse City, Michgian

Hails from United States
The Queens Dream

Hi Heather,
how exciting for you! My studio is just about finished, so I am playing around with the decorating too. Right now all the walls are white. I like the brightness of the room and the sense of true color of the glass. However, eventually, I will paint each wall a different favorite color. One yellow, one periwinkle, one left white and then the last is for my bad bead collage. I plan to do this on a large, transportable(in case we move) sheet of plywood. All my broken beads and really wonky beads will work into a mosaic that I plan to also scatter with large shards of mirror. Since I also collect beachglass, I will throw some of that in too for contrast.

Have fun with your space!
(Benjamin Twiggs)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Steilacoom, WA on the Puget Sound near Tacoma

Hails from United States
Hello Heather,

Mistress Heather here. Love your name. I would suggest one white wall in front of your flame and pale periwinkle for the others. You will have what you want without it distorting the colors of what you are doing. Just my opinion though. You will make a good decision I'm sure.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 09:01 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
LA

Hails from United States
When I get a studio, planning before hot, mosquitoey summer comes, I'll paint a patch of dark behind my flame, maybe black or a rich rust, w/ the rest as bright white as I can find. I need all the light I can get...those glasses do a number on my eyes. Now the rest of the house is another matter. Murals and faux and wallpaper galore. Helen, back on my HH and grateful...at least a nice hot flame...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 09:06 PM

Hails from United States
Heather:

Pick your favorite color, just get the lightest tint of it, so it almost looks white. In a larger space, the colors on the wall always get much darker than they look on the color chip.

Val hit the nail on the head, with this statement! I wish someone had told me this when I really needed to hear it.

About 10 years ago, I repainted our living room. My goal was a pale pink to go with the new rosey-pink carpeting. I wanted to suprise my hubby. Needless to say, I ended up with the brightest shade of bubble gum! When he came home, he was suprised all right!!! He nearly had a stroke!!!!

Sara
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Enthusiast
Geneva Florida

Hails from United States
How about Hot Pink? It calms the insane.

Lori_Robbins eBaY current auctions
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Alabama

Hails from United States
How about going with a bright white and putting up alot of pictures of beads, Marbles, and other glass related stuff? This way you can change out the pictures or sculptures alot easier than painting the walls again.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Hi Heather,

I think you should paint your studio the color you feel comfortable with... My favorite color is yellow, and my studio is a very pale yellow...I really love it, even on gloomy days, it always feels like there's a bit of sunshine in the room...
Good Luck Heather and let us know what you decide
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 09:51 AM
A Local Legend
New York, USA

Hails from United States
I like your idea of going with a medium tone but the periwinkle seems too strong - a medium gray-blue sounds nice. It would be third down from the darkest color on the color chip strips.

A easy and cheap way to try out different colors is to get a whole bunch of color chip strips. Then buy a quarter of a quart in the colors you want to try and paint one primed masonite panel with each color. I like the 18x24 panel. If you get the panels at the Home Depot and prime them yourself, they're really cheap. Then you can move the panels about on your wall to see how the color will look when its on your wall.

I personally wouldn't go with a bright white or a really light color. I think that the brightness will overpower your artwork and can mess up your studio lighting. You can always add more light and that may be better because you will have more control over your lighting. Really bright and dark colors can have a substantial impact on the perception of light and they're hard to subdue if they're on your walls.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Roswell, GA

Hails from United States
Hi Heather!!!

I am going to paint my studio this weekend!! I can totally picture you in a periwinkle-ish room being that I've met you in person..you'd look beautiful surrounded by Periwinkle.

HOWEVER...blues can be really calming and maybe too calming if you need to stay UP to make beads. I like the idea of the white wall where you would be looking (flame and glass would be easier to see against that) but why not have FUN and do some non-solid stuff too...maybe something higher on the white wall bring in some warmer colors with the periwinkle and white to wake things up!

Have a blast painting...seems like a good way to brighten your Maine winter.

www.sylviebeads.com
Sylviebeads Blog