WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
West Palm Beach, FL

Hails from United States
Using alcohol on colored pencils

I am relatively new to colored pencils. Think 2 months. I have been working on a couple of things and based on something I read somewhere here on WC, I tried (on a scrap of paper) using 1 color and then a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, squeezed mostly dry then rubbed over the colored pencil and the look was great. I also tried it with 2 colors and the blending was awesome. What I was wondering, but I guess I could again, practice and try, was after doing the alcohol treatment, can you use more colored pencil over it for more color?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Using alcohol on colored pencils

I use Everclear on much of my pencil work because it doesn't smell as bad as mineral spirits.
Yes you can use more colored pencil...depending on the paper.
I don't use a Q-tip. I use various brushes.
You can even rub the moistened brush on the color strip of the pencil and then apply it to the paper. I do this with oil pastel too.
Do anything that gets the effect you are looking for.
Creativity knows no bounds.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 PM
West Palm Beach, FL

Hails from United States

Thank you so much. Never heard of Everclear. Will have to check on it. I have upteen number of bottles of the rubbing alcohol since son likes to use it for science experiments. I hadn't thought of using a brush and I have a bunch of brushes for watercolors. I don't do watercolors, but they are left from my grandmother.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States

Everclear is expensive. You get it a the liquor store. Its like $20+ for what I call the "quart" size. Rubbing alcohol is really bad stuff to inhale.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Whichever solvent you choose to use, you can apply more CP after you've blended with the solvent.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

As others have said, you can ad more color. To some extent, it will raise the paper's tooth a bit and help get more color on. Just don't rub the cotton swab too hard. I've gone to using a citrus based solvent (Eco-House mild or Zest-It) which is supposed to be much less toxic than the alcohol or paint thinner types.