WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States
World's Ugliest Teeth

Hi, everybody!

Just wanted to share a pen-and-ink sketch I did last week.

I copied a drawing by R. Crumb, called "Walkin' The Streets".

I changed the mouth around a bit, to make the teeth even uglier. Which seems to fit the Crumby mood.

The main reason I posted this drawing is to start a conversation about the merits/demerits of ballpoint pens.

Yes, this was done entirely with the humble ballpoint pen. As I mentioned to Blah, I've found that ballpoint pens are much better than crowquill pens or even rapidograph pens in laying down a light gray wash. When you want the tone to be barely visible.

A second later, by pressing your ballpoint down a little harder, you can make the darkest dark imaginable.

Of course, there are draw-backs. Ballpoint pens smear a lot and sometimes leave unwanted blobs in exactly the wrong place.

What are your thoughts?

As always, C&C's are welcome.

Best regards,

Swiftly Swift

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
WC! Guide
South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: World's Ugliest Teeth

Great piece Isisbill -- a nice lot of detail with your ballpoint pen.

Val.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States

Hi to Valchina612,

Thanks very much for your comment.

Yes, I've been amazed by how much you can get out of a simple ballpoint pen. Especially the range of values.

On the negative side, my guess is that ballpoint pen drawings have very little permanency and fade pretty quickly.

Do you have any information on that?

Best regards,

Swifty Swift
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

That is really good. The details are great. Personally I like ballpoints although I tend to get ink all over me with the way I hold a pen.
I didn't know they did fade. I just found some notes from high school (well over 25 years or so ago and they look pretty good, mind you they've been in a box. (they weren't school notes they were the ones we passed around to each other and they're very silly.)
You could frame it it behind proper glass that prevents fading.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Chennai, India

Hails from India

I love the drawing . It has a terrific atmosphere, lots of details, and seems to be telling a story.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Back in Vegas

Hails from United States

You're discussion of ballpoint pens wouldn't be complete with some other views of what they can do.

Here's a WIP of mine that I recently scanned and you can see what I've done with such a simple tool.

"Well, yes, ma'am, I do... I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count."
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ibisbill, that's fantastic! Love what you did with his teeth. Wonderful copy of a master in ballpoint.

I started sketching in ballpoint last year, finally dared it. The changing thickness of the lines put me off for decades but I finally got to where I could do it without getting too uptight about that.

Jack, very striking sketch of the girl, very graphic design looking.

If you're concerned about lightfastness with cheap ball point pens, there are some artist grade ones available from JetPens that are advertised as archival, acid free and lightfast. The texture of the line is the same. Depends on whether the drawing or the prints are the permanent collectible version of your art.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Swifty!
Glad to hear you're a ballpoint fan as well. Love the pic I can't tell you much about permanence of drawings, but I sure hope they last.... my masterpiece, "Mask of Tutankhamun" is below... over 1000 hours, 12x17, black bic ballpoint. Us ballpointers have to stick together.

P.S. If you don't want your pen to blob, only stroke in 1 direction, and occasionally wipe off the tip on a paper towel (and start re-stroking on scrap for a stroke or two).

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Chesapeake Bay

Hails from United States

Wow! My cup runneth over!
Hi to robertsloan2, and thanks for your kind words and your support!

And Hi to Jack Dawson and to Alan P. in OC!

You guys are the real pros. Such incredible work! Heck, I'm just a cartoonist!

Maybe it's time to mention the reigning king of ballpoint pen, a Spaniard by the name of Juan Francisco Casas. Go to GOOGLE IMAGES and type in "ballpoint pen art". The first thirty images you see are all by Juan Francisco Casas. This guy is very popular in Europe. Not that any of us would ever consider such crass things as money, but Casas is pulling in five-figure prices for his ballpoint pen drawings. One key point: his drawings are absolutely enormous. We're talking maybe one by two meters, and some are even larger than that.

Jack, you seem to be heading in the same direction as Casas. And you have at least as much talent. Best of luck!

And Alan, your "Mask of Tutankhamun" really introduces a whole new paradigm. Nothing has ever been done like this, I'm pretty sure. Not with ballpoint pen anyway. If I were you, I would show this drawing everywhere I could. See if you can get one of the art magazines to do an article on you.

Best regards,

Swifty Swift
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Back in Vegas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbill
Wow! My cup runneth over!
Hi to robertsloan2, and thanks for your kind words and your support!

And Hi to Jack Dawson and to Alan P. in OC!

You guys are the real pros. Such incredible work! Heck, I'm just a cartoonist!

Maybe it's time to mention the reigning king of ballpoint pen, a Spaniard by the name of Juan Francisco Casas. Go to GOOGLE IMAGES and type in "ballpoint pen art". The first thirty images you see are all by Juan Francisco Casas. This guy is very popular in Europe. Not that any of us would ever consider such crass things as money, but Casas is pulling in five-figure prices for his ballpoint pen drawings. One key point: his drawings are absolutely enormous. We're talking maybe one by two meters, and some are even larger than that.

Jack, you seem to be heading in the same direction as Casas. And you have at least as much talent. Best of luck!

And Alan, your "Mask of Tutankhamun" really introduces a whole new paradigm. Nothing has ever been done like this, I'm pretty sure. Not with ballpoint pen anyway. If I were you, I would show this drawing everywhere I could. See if you can get one of the art magazines to do an article on you.

Best regards,

Swifty Swift

Thank you for your kind words. I looked him up and I'd say I'm better than him...

Some of you may think I'm arrogant when I say that but I am not. I am saying this because he uses cross hatching as a way of shading, which is fine but when you're going for realism I'd say the smoother the skin the better. I can create baby soft skin tones with my pens.

Just saying. Though he does have 2 things on me. Better proportions and dedication to HUGE works.
"Well, yes, ma'am, I do... I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count."
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you for the kind words, Swifty. No disrespect to Mr. Casas or Mr. Dawson, but the best ballpoint artist I've ever seen is right here on Wetcanvas, named Maori Boy. He hasn't posted (that I know of) in a long time but gave me props on my King Tut when I posted it mid-2010. Look him up. I do believe he kicks everyone's ass with a ballpoint, me included (he's what got me started on the ballpoint journey).
Looking forward to more from you Swifty, especially in Oils (where I'm hanging out these days, mostly).
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

U guys all Rock! ... (tho Alan, thatís still impressive!)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Italy

Hails from Italy

Very nice work!! I like it especially your background. Original one is an illustration work? It is seemed has a story. Ball point pen is a one of my favourite techniques. Itís so fun when you try to mix with other colours. Also, mix with colour-ink or colour marker. About fading, cover your work with lacquer-spay is one technique that you maybe try.

Stafan