WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Can We SeeYour Pencils- Part 3. (aka My Cheap Pencil Organizer)

Hi All,
I thought I'd share this.

Even though I am a newbie I've always had this love of organizers. I love caddy's, containers, organizers, supplies etc. I know I am weird. So when I rec'd my Prisma pencils (72 set) and have since used up a couple that I can't remember which colors and on top of that purchased some at the store and made duplicates but didn't get the ones I needed I decided I wanted a pencil organizer. I really wanted one like the stores have but they are out of my small budget so I decided to make one myself ($20.00). Cheaply and one that doesn't take up much room. I live in small apt so going vertical is important for me and you can pick this up with pencils in it and move it in 2 pieces.

Here it is.
7-10ft pieces of 1" PVC SCHEDULE 35 (not 40)
PVC Clear Glue (sets in about 20 seconds, be fast)
Saw
Poster Board
Hot glue gun

Cut 132-5.5" pieces (or whatever size you want)

I first glued rows of 11 making sure edges were even. Let dry/cure while you do the others.

Then I stacked them 6 rows high alternating the placement. You have to put the glue on and work fast on that part. Let dry.

Glue 6 rows one on top of the other. Let dry.

Stand the set of 6 up on your poster board and trace. Cut out carefully then hot glue to the back.

Do the same with the second half. You can either stack like I did or place them side by side. They stay in place and no need to attach them to each other.

I would have added 2 long pieces of pipe across the bottom in the front and the back to raise it up off the table but where I set it it has to hang off the back of the table against the wall (electric receptacle), so that wouldn't work for me but it might for you. Or perhaps you can figure out a way to do it better.

You can arrange them anyway you want and of course make it smaller or larger. I think even a 3/4" sch 35 pipe would work but would be a bit harder to get the stubbies out, but not impossible.

If you make one please share your picture!

It looks large here but actually it's only about 13.5"w x 13.5"H x 5.5"D

Last edited by JustToBeMe2 : 01-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Re: My Cheap Pencil Organizer

That is pretty cool and very inventive. Thanks for sharing with us.

Stacey
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Omaha Nebraska

Hails from United States

Thank You for this idea, I am going to go get the materials and make me one now....
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Glad you both like it and hope you share a picture Grumpster!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Immortalized
Iowa

Hails from United States

hear hear to this project.. what a neat idea and I have a plumber for a husband so wont cost me much.
thanks for sharing

Laurie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

I had done something a bit different with same type of material. I needed an organizer that was more portable so I use 2 inch PVC pipe and glued them onto a thin plywood base. Two of the areas are taller than the rest. It will hold full set of Polychromos and a full set of Prismacolor at the same time but a little tight.

Doug
Name:  IMG_1585.JPG
Views: 2637
Size:  65.3 KB
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

What a clever and very useful design you've come up with for your organizer! You've proven that sometimes "cheap" is better! Like you, from the kitchen to the studio I love all kinds of organizers.

Doug, yours is also very nice. The thing I see about the PVC is the ability to cut it in shorter lengths to contain those "almost used up" pencils that you can still use but which get lost in the taller pencil holders such as I use.

Thanks for sharing your excellent idea! I wonder how much PVC and glue is going to be sold to CP artists this week?

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in the PVC crowd as well. When I bought a lesson from Jane Gildow, she suggested paper towel cardboard tubes, no longer than 4 or 5 " to keep the pencils from spreading out so far. She glued hers to foam, so it's easy to lift and move around.

I made mine (with hubby's help) with 4" PVC and a cap on the bottom. I didn't have to glue the cap -- it just sticks there fine. They are about 5" tall and I can take one in my hand, remove the whole stack, search for my pencils and stick the whole thing back. I have an empty one I keep for "colors in use" I want to get some more made, so I can have more color divisions. I just keep them in a tin box (they do stand alone though) -- and also want a bigger box.
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Omaha Nebraska

Hails from United States

Ok I went to Lowes today and picked up the supplies, I made a pencil organizer to JustToBeMe2's design, this is what I came up with. Based on a 5x5 design and stackable also, made a holder to hold all the colors I'm working with at the time too... Thanks again for the design idea.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpster2
Ok I went to Lowes today and picked up the supplies, I made a pencil organizer to JustToBeMe2's design, this is what I came up with. Based on a 5x5 design and stackable also, made a holder to hold all the colors I'm working with at the time too... Thanks again for the design idea.

Wowee Awesome!!! I might have copy your stand up holder! Thanks for posting the pic..and boy are you fast!
Edited to add-I have a bunch of ends left from my project and I was wondering what I could do with them, Thank you!

Last edited by JustToBeMe2 : 01-13-2011 at 02:30 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnGarlough
What a clever and very useful design you've come up with for your organizer! You've proven that sometimes "cheap" is better! Like you, from the kitchen to the studio I love all kinds of organizers.

Doug, yours is also very nice. The thing I see about the PVC is the ability to cut it in shorter lengths to contain those "almost used up" pencils that you can still use but which get lost in the taller pencil holders such as I use.

Thanks for sharing your excellent idea! I wonder how much PVC and glue is going to be sold to CP artists this week?
The stores might think we've all been sniffing pvc sealant.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Belleville ,Ontario

Hails from Canada

These are all great ideas. thanks to all. Mine need organizing badly. Still in a mess and I think it helps to get going on a project if everything is more organized.

"It takes two artists to do a painting. One to paint it and the other to shoot him before he ruins it"
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

grumpster, that's pretty cool that your artwork matches your pencil holers! LOL
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain
Re: Show Us Your Pencils Pt. 3 (aka My Cheap Pencil Organizer)

What cool ideas. I like it very much.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Central MO

Hails from United States
Re: Can We SeeYour Pencils- Part 3. (aka My Cheap Pencil Organizer)

Hi all,

I guess this is the new show-us-your-pencils link and I am a newbie at just about everything. I just finished moving my drawing space to our loft because once I started adding colored pencils the dining room table became too small. So I will show you my pencils and then show you a few pix of my new space.

So here are my pencils and other goodies.

My pencils are in assorted containers, no PVC here, but we do make bird perches out of it! Most of my CPs are in 8oz jelly jars and they sit on an acrylic two tiered Lazy Susan. DH was glad to see some stuff come out of basement storage. Then I found my old utensil turn-about, and finally brought up the spice turn-about too! To the far left you can just see the rail shelf that hubby built that holds pencils for WIPs.

In this picture you get an idea of my view while I am painting, one that I am thankful for and lucky to have. The sheers are drawn to keep out the hot sun, but they are open most of the time and it floods the loft with light.

From there is my Lazy Girl recliner where I sometimes sit and draw or do my reading.
Since the roof slopes down to a knee wall, there is a storage trunk behind the chair. Next to that are my art books and some of my drawing papers and, of course, my puppy's bed.

Then you turn the corner and see my computer area where I sit and write messages to various forums like wet canvas.

Following along this wall you come to our bedroom doors and then the steps to go down into the main floor. I am truly blessed to just be starting to lift a pencil again and to have such a great place to draw. Thanks for looking and I hope to get know all of you as I move forward. Take care.

SeeMyDrawings.com

Last edited by TessDB : 06-30-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: image alignment