WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#706   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: Self Portraits join in the fun!

Your eye whites look good! I generally just let my flesh-tones work in the eye. Adding soft grey or blue can become too pale and the warm tones dull it down some.

For cool flesh, I use any pale mixture of flesh tone, and then add a Titanium white and yellow ochre mixture. You can also brighten this mixture enough to make highlights but try to keep the edges from being too sharp.

#707   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hello all,

I figured to get where I want to be I need to work on it every day. Since I have no model on weekdays the only thing to do is self portraits. There are few things I hate doing more than looking at my own mug for an extended period of time, but if it helps to get a better painter so be it.

Size is A3 paper. Working time about 3 hours with some pauses in between.

I made a few progress pictures in regard of getting comments on the procedure.

Did some rough placement with the pencil:

Some background stuff:

I then wipe the above mentioned background all over the paper and pick out highlights ... also made a picture with part of the setup to see:

Then repeated the wiping and picking out several times and in the end tried to add some highlights with white pencil. That part didn't work as planned, the paper refused to take on any more pigment. The photo is rather bad, I thought it was hard to photograph oil paintings, but drawings aren't any easier to take photos from it seems.

There is a little bit of a likeness in the result I hope ... but it looks much too soft. But the crisp highlights I had in mind where not possible to get on the paper. Need to change the technique. The shoulder to the right side of the paper is lifted because it is the drawing arm I think. Nevermind the nose, which is as crooked in real like in the drawing, one of my nose holes is double the size of the other ... actually some weirdo doctor wanted to correct it a few years back, claiming I was sooner or later getting trouble breathing well ... I still breath very fine.

For the hardy folks who might want to see my real mug:

As you can see I have not learned real rules to follow in drawing. What I really like is a medium I can back and forth with, dark to light, light to dark, just like it is possible with oil paint.

I plan to do one if I have energy left now as often as possible in different mediums.

C&C always welcome ... I will take part with comments in the thread more, just a little too tired now.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 03-05-2012 at 07:05 PM.
  #708   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hello all,

todays practice studies:

#2 awkwarrrd ...

About 2 hours for all ... no more time and energy left today to do more

My setup, I move it around in circles to get another light each time:

I hope I learn a little by doing these. I don't really enjoy drawing very much ... drawing myself even less, but I need to do it to get better at painting in oils.

C&C always welcome.

#709   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Canada

Hails from Argentina

Hi, I didn't have one, and this thread encurage me t o paint myself, here:
  #710   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hi euge ... I like this painting you did very much ? What medium is it ?

______

Only had time for 3 short practice studies this evening, sorry

I try to change the medium often, that should help the practice I hope ?

The photos turned out a little dark, sorry. Not sure how much time I will have tomorrow

Mods: Is it OK if I post them here in this thread ? I plan to do these as practice every free minute now and if I keep at it it will get a whole lot of them. Should I better make another own thread for them from now on ?

#711   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Canada, québec

Hails from Canada

This is me, I think!

#712   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Canada

Hails from Argentina

Sorry, I should post details: oil on canvas. It is very curious: I was copying me from a mirror, it took me about 3 hours, and the result was ugly... then, next day, I did not look at the mirror, but I painted it over as I "remember" mysef, with just a couple of loose brush stokes, here and there, for about 20 minutes(?) and I am happier with this new fresher version

Last edited by euge : 03-07-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: speling
  #713   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Canada

Hails from Argentina

Hi, Daniel, is this pastel? It is very nive portrait, I like it.
  #714   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Canada

Hails from Argentina

Hi, dustonpaper, thank you, I like your first result. shades and darks.
I understand drawing is important for a neat painting, but I do not draw at all, just paint. I know as well that my paintings are not favorits of very many people, however, I enjoy doing it in that way, and this is more important to me.
  #715   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Canada

Hails from Argentina

wow! I just went through the thead again, the portraits are nice "introduction" of ourselves I love this thread
  #716   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Canada, québec

Hails from Canada

hi euge,
first thank you for the compliment!
No, it is no pastel.

Effectively the result is strange because it is made with oil.

I paint it on no prepare plywood, with no medium, no oil, very dry and thin oil .

#717   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member

Daniel ... good work. You really made an expressive (as well as impressive) painting there. I thought it was Pastel , too. Very interesting how you work with oil paint. I like it very much.

Thank you euge, glad you like one ... I really don't like to do drawing either and just want to paint in oils, which I really really enjoy. But since I have certein goals I set myself, to be able to paint like some of my heros, I think I need to get better at drawing. Also, after my dayjob it is just too much trouble to get out the oils, clean up after it and all ... much easier with pencil and paper. I'm not a creative person , dont have images or ideas in my head to paint.
Just want to be able to paint whatever is in front of me, be it humans, landscapes ... everything ... nice and boring, just how I like it. I think drawing helps me to get better, I hope so at least.
You have an own style and you do fine I think.

#718   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Canada, québec

Hails from Canada

Hello dustonpaper!
Another electrical engineer, like me!
Thank you for the compliment, you encourage me, and I like your work to!

I'm not that creative myself, but I do not bother me for this because many of the greatest artists work with a model, then!

It is true that it takes time to settle down to paint and clean up. But I solved this problem: I have a permanent table and I live the brush in the duliant odorless. This is not very good for brushes but it saves time. So I can paint ten minutes and then leave everything for tomorrow.
  #719   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

cross posted in oil painting (Crafor's 100) 5x6" oil on water color paper. The first is the drawing, outlined with vine charcoal to transfer (reversed) to gessoed water color paper for painting.
Working on drawing reasonable likenesses, remembering landmarks and learning other techniques of approaching drawing faces. Colors used are white, yellow ochre, venetian red, viridian, ultramarine blue, burnt umber.
I started with a small palette knife for this, but wasn't satisfied, so switched to a brush. My thinking was to get rather correct colors in proper places in a short time, because I am taking way too much time to do portraits and will shorten the time while painting a reasonable likeness. The drawing took about 1/2 hour, the study about an hour. The red, yellow, and the dark on her left jaw is a bit stronger on the screen than in the painting. C&C welcomed.
Crafor
  #720   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Canada

Hails from Argentina

Hello, crafor, I like the design features, the only thing I can not understand is the dark shadow in the right back jaw of the face (from the point of view of the face, the left as spectators), I would reverse the values on the side jaws. I am not a expert, so, you may want to wait for better opinions, I like the hair and red lips thin.
euge