WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you worked with cement as a sculpture medium?
Do you consider cement a serious sculpture medium? 153 81.38%
What are your experiences working with cement? 14 7.45%
Using color? 8 4.26%
Do you like leaving the cement finish natural to age? 13 6.91%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2003, 06:07 PM
In the small Ozark Natl. Forest - Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hails from United States
OH JOY, OH JOY!
This was good news that I don't need expensive, special or hard to find stuff to start.
I'm ready! I get 3 days off Wed+. So I'll look for my materials then.
Thank you again everyone, for all your help, and encouragment. I'll keep you posted!~ diann
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast
Elmira, OR

Hails from United States
This sculpture is many, many years old and was a gift to my mother. She kept it on her screened porch (aviary) near a small fiberglass waterfall. Over the years it developed a crack which gradually widened, I tried to repair it for her with grout, but it (the cracks) just kept getting wider. When she passed away, I brought the naughty little boy home, patched him again. He just cracked some more. The steel armature was rusting and opening the crack more and more.

Finally, I filled the cracks with epoxy putty (Bondo to some). Then I mixed a batch of Epoxy resin, thinned it with lacquer thinner and painted it with this mixture. The resin soaked in and I just kept putting it on until it wouldn't take any more. I let it cure then painted it with the best enamel house paint I could buy. It has been about three years now and still no more cracks. He still looks good. If you look close at his right arm near the elbow, you can see some of the patch. It ran down his leg to the ankle following the armature.

Concrete, by its very nature, draws moisture. The trick is to keep it out. For durability, it must be sealed. Especially if it freezes in your area. moisture will seep in, freeze and flake it away.

Web site / Art Gallery: www.hmds.ws

Steel Sculptures and Wrought Iron fabrication.
Camera: HP Photosmart 850 digital and Crystalvue LX8X Telescope.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States
Good repair job Jack on the little pee pee! LOL

I have heard of some cement casters using plaster in their mix to speed up the curing process....so they can free up their molds faster. I would just bet some of these pieces that crumble have some plaster in them?

Diann...have fun! I'm excited for you...definitely take progress shots of your work and share! Be free and have fun.

Eva...well said in your last post!

I had a whole bag of portland (a different brand than I usually buy) just not set up for me....it crumbled and was soft....I used the rest of the bag in a step for fill I was building behind my studio! lol I don't like wasting. If moisture gets into the bag it will cause the portland, mortar to set up so be sure to keep it covered and out of the elements.

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Chicago area

Hails from United States
Hi, Everyone,

Jack -- It's wonderful that you were able to preserve the little boy sculpture. Kind of hard to keep the eyes on the right elbow though. That's also a great picture...can't wait for spring to return with all the greens and purple. And thanks for mentioning the importance of sealing concrete pieces.

Diann -- There are a number of companies selling concrete paints, stains, and dyes. If you do an Internet search, you can probably find the colors you want for your fairy and mermaid. One company that you might want to check is:
http://www.smithpaints.com/products/...ntal/chart.asp
Pottery/ceramic supply stores also sell dry oxide pigments that you can add to your cement mixture and/or paint on the finished piece.

Jack has brought up an important point to consider -- sealing your concrete sculpture. You will definitely want to seal sculptures that will be water features. And, Diann, using a wet-look sealer might give you that Raku-like effect that you were talking about. Do an Internet search for "wet look concrete sealers". You'll want to find one that is non-toxic (gotta watch out for the birds) and non-yellowing.

Eva
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 06:06 PM

Hails from United States
Eva, Thank you for the link, and the advice for water sculptures!
Do you have a good site for clay and other glazes to fire in kilns?
I need to buy some, and want to good inexpensive dealer. Thank you for all the help. I too can't wait to start. I was going to start tomarrow because I have 3 days off...but it finally decided to rain today! LOl Diann
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States
Hello Diann...

Sorry I forgot about posting the clay/glaze info for you. Here are a few that I have used.

Axner Pottery Supply: axner.com

Laguna Glazes are very good...I've used them.

Davens Ceramic Supply in Atlanta....I haven't ordered from them but a friend recommended them to me recently.

www.amaco.com

This should get you started....
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 12:25 AM

Hails from United States
Another quick question

Just another quick question before I start my sculpture. WEll, Ok, 2 questions...
Moondance, and others: Did you apply the cement to thethe entire sculpture at once? (something as large as your Metamorphises) Or did you apply to the bottom, work on getting that part pretty much in shape, then add further up?
I guess what I need to know isIf I let one part partially, or completely dry before adding the next part, will this cause it to have devide, crack and not look smooth?
Do I need to put it all on in one day? I will need medication at the end of that day, for sure!!!
How much cement & sand do I need to buy for a sculpture
5 ft X 3ft? Is there a formula?
The weather is getting so nice I want to start buying the materials tomarrow!
Diann
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States
Quote:
Moondance, and others: Did you apply the cement to thethe entire sculpture at once? (something as large as your Metamorphises) Or did you apply to the bottom, work on getting that part pretty much in shape, then add further up?

Diann...good morning!

Ok....first things first....have you made your armature? If not....do that first and let it set up hard.

Just to start....buy one bag of portland and two bags of sand...I go to a local place down the road and fill my trailer up with sand but buying bags is ok too and probably easier. Then if you need more you can go buy some more.

After your armature is ready....then mix your cement....two parts sand to one part portland...just add a little bit of water at a time...start with a small batch until you get the feel for what you need and how much you can work with at a time. Do not add too much water it will be a slurry...and you'll have to add more sand and portland to soak up the water...which is ok and won't be the end of the world but you'll end up with a large amount.

You can add on after it has set up a bit....it's necessary so it won't all come plopping down.

I'll write more later...school just called and I need to pick up my son. Have fun Diann...and don't stress about it....just go with it and be wild and brave!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 10:34 AM

Hails from United States
Ah, Thank you Moondance. Your a great stress reliever! The weather plans on being cloudy and raining this week. Which could be good. I didn't want the cement to dry out too fast anyway.
I was thinking of buying a small amount of sand/cement to put the re-bar into as a base, then get chicken wire and start the armiture. Does this sound right?
From your question sounded like you bought the sand/cement after you had your base ready. What type base do you use?

I want a base that is about 5-6" deep. Because this is going to be a lawn sculpture, with delicate toes, I don't want my son hitting them with the lawn mower or weed-eater. So I want the toes up out of the grass by just a bit. The base will become a 'pillow' or something for lack of a better idea, right now.
Hope your son is doing better. Thank you for guiding me along. Diann
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States

Hi Diann...

You can call me Stephanie

Go ahead and buy your cement....and sand....it's ok. If you want to follow my idea of filling a plant bucket full of cement..then insert your rebar chicken wire into it...let it set up. That will raise if up off the ground....you can build your 'pillow' around the bottom of the base then start your sculpture at the top of the bucket cast....then work up from there. (work on plastic sheeting so it won't stick to the floor or ground). Save a lot of the details until last....after you have the sculpture formed you can go and add on the finished details at the end.....because cement will fall onto the bottom unless you have it covered with plastic. I like to see the whole piece while I'm working.

You can sketch it in so you'll have an idea of where you are putting toes or feet or anything else....then in the end come back and refine the details.

I said above one part of portland to two parts of sand....I may have used two parts to two parts.....it is a nice clay like consistancy. I just play with the mix....

So have fun...let me know if you need some help!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States
Diann....I'm anxiously awaiting news on your sculpture?! LOL

Last edited by inisheerstudio : 02-07-2003 at 12:04 AM.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States
Diann...what are you making by the way?
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2003, 12:02 PM

Hails from United States
Stephanie,
Yesterday I bought one bag of white porland cement, and 2 bags of sand, and one rebar and 50 ft. of chicken wire.
I possioned the bar through the box & into the ground, (for support), where I envisioned the middle of my statue to be. I mixed 2 parts sand to 1 part cement and smoothed it in the box to a height I want the base. I was perhaps too stingy with the mixture. I wouldn't mind the base being deeper, but I started late in the day, and it was getting dark, and family comming home so I left it just 3 1/2" heigh, (MAYBE this is heigh enough to keep the weed-eater from eating her toes).
Thank you for caring enough to ask what I am doing. I am so excited. I have had this idea in mind for so long I'm anxious to finally get going on it!
I'm going to try and send a rough, very rough, sketch of what I have in mind. After seeing other cement sculptures from very good artist on line, I'm beginning to doubt that I will be able to get the detail that I want. Most the other sculptures of people, are rather clumpy...except for yours Stephanie. That is what is giving me hope. The face on your Metamorphisis is soooo well done! I hope I can put a pleasing face on my Fairy.
I want to have her holding one of the cement leaves we have talked about, with a dip in it to hold water. Home Depot said they also had paint that was for painting cement, so I'm ready to go.
Today turned off cloudy and cool, but as soon as I finish this letter I will go out and work on the bottom half of the armiture.
(I didn't buy the rebar for the shoulders/arms yest. because we have no way to bend it untill my husband buys a torch to heat it with.) Although the sales man suggested my kitchen stove-top, I don't think so! On my sketch you can see what I have in mind for the shoulder armiture using the rebar bent in 4 precise places. I sure hope we can pull this off! I'm excited about the possibilities! Wish us luck! Diann

Housekeeping edit to show pictures/llis

Last edited by llis : 06-17-2004 at 08:56 AM.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2003, 12:09 PM

Hails from United States

I don't know why my pictures sometimes come out as re X's!
Hope these show up. Diann

Housekeeping edit to show pictures/llis

Last edited by llis : 06-17-2004 at 08:58 AM.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States
Diann....you are on your way! I can't wait to see the photo's...I have no idea why you're getting x's....