WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Charcoal to watercolor

I used a 20 minute charcoal sketch as the basis for a watercolor drawing. I don't know how sucessful the tranlation is, so I need your C&C.

Here is the charcoal:

Here is the watercolor translation on 140# cold press watercolor paper, Danial Smith paint, and it is 15 x 23 inches.

I'm worried about a couple of spots. One is a question about whether or not I need to more clearly define her back end:

The other is where her neck falls down to her head:

So, let me know what you think. If there are other areas that need work, let me know that too.

Thanks for your help.

Kate
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
A Local Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States
Re: Charcoal to watercolor

Just my opinion, but I think your edges are too hard - they dominate the painting and I do think her back and butt needs more color. If it were me, I'd soften the edges and then see how the back/butt reads. A wonderful pose and I think very nicely done with perhaps some minor tweaks.
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jr-secor.html
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Noosa Queensland Oz

Hails from Australia

Nice work Kate
I'm with J on thinking the edges are a little hard, especialy the two that run throught the shoulders from the neck
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Immortalized
San Diego, CA - misplaced from the east coast

Hails from United States

Hi Kate, I dont know much about watercolor but I will say that you have certainly captured the light and the layering of paint is beautiful. Also I find the charcoal drawing to be a delight!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Kate, Well, I like both but thats IMHO .....I think while the charcoal is softer , the watercolour much more dramatic, and the layered colours sing I think....
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Immortalized

selective edge softening will help to lead the eye around the image. Right now the eye is captured by the dark hard accents and there is no where to escape to the rest of the image. Hope this helps!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Kate, not sure if this is C&C or rather my own ideas (I hesitated to post before). In the watercolour I think her "back end" looks a little unrepresented (or rather it has disappeared). With her neck I think the lower edge would actually join into her spine rather than be separate though that depends on her shoulder blades.

The overall feeling of the painting is one of over expose (or high key) with the lights dominating. I assume that was your idea and it works the only problem with that for me is that the background in using yellow actually moves forwards more than the edge of the figure (whose white retreats).

Not sure if that helps or at least give you something to think about?

Blog Gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
A Local Legend
Kolkata, India

Hails from India

Ahh my favorite drawing of yours in recent days - the poetry of the unsaid

Regarding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
One is a question about whether or not I need to more clearly define her back end:
I don't think you really do. In fact, the zig-zac of the essential folds, that of the leg and torso and the arm next to these, is all that there is to depict. The rest is better left unsaid, diffusing into the watery mist of this temperamental medium.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

Richard and Kymbo, you are right, as is Susan, that there are too many hard edges.

Thanks, Susan. I like the charcoal better than the painting at this point.

Sandra, thanks. I wanted singing colors. I may lose them as I try to fix the neck/shoulder area. Not much of that color will lift, I fear.

Nathan: shoulder blades! (Duh!) That's my problem! You are also right that the yellow comes forward. I can bring that down closer to a neutral color without adding to much value. Thanks. Your suggestions are good.

Prosenjit, I like the zigzag too. That is one of the reasons I wanted to try this drawing in watercolor. I do want to diffuse some of the figure into the background and the ground.

Thanks everyone for your comments. At this point this painting is a bit of a disaster, but you have given me renewed energy to try to save it.

Kate
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Charcoal to watercolor redo

This painting might be better. I couldn't get all the color up from the problematic neck/shoulder area, but I did get some up. The yellow down her side is not as pronounced as it is in the photo. Let me know what you think. If there are other adjustments, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for looking.

Kate
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
A Local Legend
Kolkata, India

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
The yellow down her side is not as pronounced as it is in the photo
Yes, that could be a bit distracting, but the overlapping layers in the neck region make for a much more effective (and graceful) description of that area. I love the reddish-brown counter-glow on the lower leg, and the hint of a reflection on the floor. Very nice!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

Thanks for taking another look, Prosenjit. As I look at the painting as posted, that yellow bothers me more and more. I think I will tone it down more. The hint of reflection was a lucky accident by a frustrated watercolorist, but I'm glad the accident worked in my favor this time.

Thanks much,

Kate
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast
California

Kate, one of the hardest things to learn when working in watercolor is to control the edges. To get the edges soft and diffused, run a brush with just clean water along the hard edge of color to difuse and soften it.
Practice, practice, practice.

Rich
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM
A Local Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States

Great improvements - soften up that hard yellow edge and IMHO you should be done. Rich as given very exacting advice for softening W/C edges Very nice!
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jr-secor.html
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

Thanks for looking in Rich. My problem is remembering how to work with a large watercolor (for me). I remeasured and it's about 19 x 26 inches. So, it is hard to get that much paper covered and edges moistened in time. But I'm working on it.

Richard, I did lift some of the yellow and layered in more of the colors I used in the rest of the painting. It's better. Thanks for checking back in.

Kate