Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments. I'm glad there are so many of us doing the workshop - it's fun to see what everyone is doing.
I did quite a bit for the 2nd week's lesson and really learned a lot of "technical" things, which I will tell you later.
For those who are not taking the workshop, the process for lesson 2 is to continue working an existing page with additional layers:
* Hand writen journaling in graphite or pen
* Use oil pastels to add shadowing and additional color
* Add a layer of gesso, partially full strength and partially watered down to let parts of the image show through. This will obscure any of the journaling you want to leave hidden and also brings the page together in a more consistent overall feel
* Then you can continue working additional oil pastel or other media on top of the gesso.
In the image above, I used copies of a can can dancer (b&w), a snow leopard (color), and my kitty Shadow (b&w), which are original artwork. Other elements were taken from magazines, brochures, etc. I particularly liked tearing the snow leopard in strips and reconstructing him with spaces in between to do the journaling. I found I did not care too much for the oil pastels, so I used a bit of watercolor over the gesso and also to do some lettering.
For this spread, I use a black and white copy (left page) and a color copy (right page) of some crocuses I did for a long-past WDE. The butterfly was also a very quick, basic sketch I found in my scrap pile. Other images and lettering were from magazines. The stripes on the left hand page were a small scrap of some decorative paper I had in my collage box.
I did use oil pastel for the colors added on the left page and used a micron pen and a gold pen to embellish various images on these pages.
Now for the lessons I learned this week:
1) On my first week's pages, I used Mod Podge on pages 2 and 3 and I not only used it as glue, but also sealed it with a coat on top of the image. Unfortunately, that made the pages not accept the oil pastels I tried to use on top for lesson 2. (oops!)
2) To try to recover, I sprayed a "workable fixative" over the Mod Podge surface, but that didn't work either.
3) The good news is that I love the sort of semi-glossy surface I ended up with on those pages.
4) I found I did not like the oil pastel shading very much, but I think that was due mostly to the type of images I used.
5) Since I was not able to add layers to my original week 1 images, I decided to make black and white copies of THEM and paste them into the journal to let me do further work on. I've only gotten them pasted in at this point, so the pages below are still to be developed:
Really having fun with this and I am learning a lot.