WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States
Jean's January Mixed Media Visual Journal

With high hopes for a lot of creative time this month, I'm going to do a challenge journal. I love that I get to define it for myself - - that will let me combine it with another activity: the Strathmore Visual Journal Workshop that Rainy pointed us at a while back.

The January Workshop is "Recycled Journal Pages." There are 4 lessons, one per week for 4 weeks. So, my goal is to do at least 2 - 3 journal pages per week. I have included the first 3 below.

I am working in a 5.5" x 8" Strathmore Visual Journal. I'm impressed with this journal so far. It contains 44 pages (22 sheets) of 140 lb cp paper that seems to hold up quite well to the wet applications I have done so far. The paper seems to buckle a little while it is wet, but mostly straightens out when dry. If you have only done one side of the page, there is a little bit of a bow in the sheet, but once you do the second side of the page with wet media, it ends up completely flat again when it dries.

Here are my first 3 pages:

Most of Page 1 consists of black and white and color copies of previous artwork I have done, including a "greens chart" that I recently did to help me with my Parrots painting. It is glued directly on the page with a matte gel medium with a coat of the matte gel sealing the entire page at the end.

This page started with a varigated wash of Quin. Gold and New Gamboge, sealed with a spray matte finish. Then I used Mod Podge to glue and seal a black and white copy of some poppies I had painted before and a color copy of my painting of a little Spanish doll that I painted before. I left this page fairly plain, as the second week's lesson builds on top of week one and I needed one page to carry forward for the 2nd week's lesson. You'll probably see this one again, taken a new direction as it progresses.

This page also started with a watercolor wash, finished with matte spray. The collage elements are a mixture of color copies of previous artwork, some sketches I did on the back of a grocery receipt at a local indoor kids play space, and some magazine clippings. All were glued in with Mod Podge and sealed with a final coat.

I'm excited to be doing this workshop - it is helping me to get back into the collage type journaling that is really fun and freeing to do.

C&C's always welcome and appreciated.

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Bilthoven

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Jean's January Mixed Media Visual Journal

Hi Jean, love your pages, especially the first one. Cannot wait what will happen to this page in the next lessons!

I was not able to find a Strathmore Visual Journal yet, they do not seem to sell them in the Netherlands. I am using a journal with less thick paper, but it does not work well. The pages buckle up ever after drying. I am thinking of asking one of my US colleagues to buy me a few Strathmore Journals and send them to me, they look really good.

Follow my blog: http://kittysartencrafts.blogspot.nl/
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Kitty69
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Hails from Canada

I love collage journaling... I especially like the idea of using black & white copies of paintings you have done as collage elements- very cool! Thank you for sharing, these are great.

Be yourself... everyone else is already taken!
http://www.creativecanary.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Terrific pages so far. I love the first one!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

LOVE all of your pages. . . the first is my favorite. I am so glad to see others doing this workshop. I just got my gel medium today so I am ready to go once I get my printer/scanner/copier.

Eager to see how your pages evolve with the different weeks progress.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Good start, Jean!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Curious to see where these go. Great start.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

Jean,

I love your Visual Journal. I can't wait to get started. I need to go out and get the supplies though. It will be fun to put together. I know you're loving this. I watched the 2nd week video today and it's so inspiring. Have fun and continue on so we can see what you come up with. Bonnie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Good stuff Jean, it looks very creative and an enjoyable exercise
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Queensland

Hails from Australia

This looks like fun, good work with your journal so far.

Progress not perfection
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Off to a great start Jean!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Love the first page.

Like you, I love adding collage elements to a journal page or doing the whole page.
Looking forward to seeing the pages develop.

www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Creating with joy and freedom is oh so special and important to one's soul
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments. I'm glad there are so many of us doing the workshop - it's fun to see what everyone is doing.

I did quite a bit for the 2nd week's lesson and really learned a lot of "technical" things, which I will tell you later.

For those who are not taking the workshop, the process for lesson 2 is to continue working an existing page with additional layers:

* Hand writen journaling in graphite or pen
* Use oil pastels to add shadowing and additional color
* Add a layer of gesso, partially full strength and partially watered down to let parts of the image show through. This will obscure any of the journaling you want to leave hidden and also brings the page together in a more consistent overall feel
* Then you can continue working additional oil pastel or other media on top of the gesso.

In the image above, I used copies of a can can dancer (b&w), a snow leopard (color), and my kitty Shadow (b&w), which are original artwork. Other elements were taken from magazines, brochures, etc. I particularly liked tearing the snow leopard in strips and reconstructing him with spaces in between to do the journaling. I found I did not care too much for the oil pastels, so I used a bit of watercolor over the gesso and also to do some lettering.

For this spread, I use a black and white copy (left page) and a color copy (right page) of some crocuses I did for a long-past WDE. The butterfly was also a very quick, basic sketch I found in my scrap pile. Other images and lettering were from magazines. The stripes on the left hand page were a small scrap of some decorative paper I had in my collage box.

I did use oil pastel for the colors added on the left page and used a micron pen and a gold pen to embellish various images on these pages.

Now for the lessons I learned this week:

1) On my first week's pages, I used Mod Podge on pages 2 and 3 and I not only used it as glue, but also sealed it with a coat on top of the image. Unfortunately, that made the pages not accept the oil pastels I tried to use on top for lesson 2. (oops!)
2) To try to recover, I sprayed a "workable fixative" over the Mod Podge surface, but that didn't work either.
3) The good news is that I love the sort of semi-glossy surface I ended up with on those pages.
4) I found I did not like the oil pastel shading very much, but I think that was due mostly to the type of images I used.
5) Since I was not able to add layers to my original week 1 images, I decided to make black and white copies of THEM and paste them into the journal to let me do further work on. I've only gotten them pasted in at this point, so the pages below are still to be developed:

Really having fun with this and I am learning a lot.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing your processes and lessons learned.

I'm really taken with the spread with the flowers. I like it.