WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Art Supply Addicts Anonymous 2011!

Time for the relapse! Heck, for me this month was a big relapse. After all those months of self control I came out of Christmas with some savings, then promptly bent it gently placing a $270 Dakota Pastels order. I'm a happy cat waiting for my 120 Polychromos, 60 Winsor & Newton pastels Grab Bag, two drawer pastels box and 14" x 18" Rainbow Pack of the new Colourfix Suede paper.

Unfortunately I've also been surfing Dakota again for Other Things... most of them requiring me to have self control for a month or two before ordering. Perhaps 2011 is the year I'll finally save up for and get a full range set of pastels or artist grade oilies - Sennelier or Neopastels head the list on those.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast
South Central Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Art Supply Addicts Anonymous 2011!

A new year to explore, salivate over and obtain all things art. I am looking forward to sharing in everyone's acquisitions.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Thanks for the new thread, Robert!

I am awaiting a Blick order from last week. . . but its a small order and mostly stuff I need to get started in the Visual Journal class. It shipped yesterday afternoon so hopefully I can get it soon and begin the class project. Its some gel matte medium (which is what is being used as collage glue) and some various pens and markers. And I am getting TWO radiograph pens in a swap so those should arrive in a bit.

Wondering. . . has anyone tried the Great American pastels? They have a set called "Animals" which I was looking at maybe putting on a wish list for future

Last edited by RainySea : 01-05-2011 at 10:27 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Thanks, Robert for the new thread. I will be ordering stuff today, not much but a few things. I have signed up for an intense figure class and need some supplies for it. I haven't done one of these for awhile, but this one sounds excellent. I checked all my supplies and only have to buy Canson paper....which I hate. Oh well, it may work well for this calss.

Pat
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I totally agree with you on the Canson, Pat. . . but yet Johannes V. did a stunning soft pastel on that paper in a demo last week. And he made it looks so easy, too. I guess its all in the techniques of how one uses the paper. I hope that you will find some ways to enjoy that paper when you are in the class!

Have a great day and have fun ordering stuff! Watch out for cart jumpers
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

I'll only be using charcoal on it so it may be okay.

pat
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Pat, it might be fun for charcoal sketching on the smooth side. I like using Canson MT for sketching, just don't do paintings on it the way I do on sanded papers. It also did take clear Colourfix primer when I experimented with that a couple of years ago to do an eagle or something with Holbeins. The main thing I had to remember with that was that if I prime it, I have to prime beyond the edges of the painting or the oils will leak out across the non-absorbent primer to pool and make little oil stain puddles along the edges.

I indulged today. I phoned Dakota to find out if my order shipped yet. It hadn't shipped yet - so I asked about the 24 half stick set of Winsor & Newton pastels that's on Clearance. Really throwing out the stock clearance, it was $12 for the half stick set, 50 cents a stick same as $1 for the full sticks in the Grab Bags or the small assortments they have left. It's sad they are discontinuing them, those are great pastels of the medium-soft variety.

I looked at the colors in the little half stick set and realized just how convenient that would be for either going out whether that's springtime Plein Air or my next doctor appointment in February. I might print out a couple of photo references for the appointment and bring them. LOL - probably ought to bring a packet of wet wipes too if I do.

I can't wait till this box arrives. It's as exciting as my Unisons were and are. I think the next thing in that long awaited category has to be the Sennelier OP full range box. Read various pros and cons about it but in the end I love that Sennelier texture.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

New year, new thread, and oh! the new things all of us will buy... I'm looking forward to this thread already.

One of my art supply stores now carries Art Stix. That is a little tempting even though I don't do large scale paintings. I wonder if I should give them a try...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Art Stix are great. They're good for filling in large areas of initial color even on small scale paintings and the corners are good for details. In a way they're more convenient than regular Prismacolors. They also allow some pastels techniques in colored pencils work like scumbling and side strokes. I bought the full 48 color range and love it, though I'm still figuring out the best way to stash them.

Their biggest advantage is that they don't crumble inside the wood the way Prismacolors do. Prismacolors are notorious for internal breakage. None of my Art Stix have broken, their shape and solidity seems to protect them better than a wood casing. And they never need sharpening, if I want a sharp point I just turn the stick or wear it down to a chisel point in a larger area. You can shape the tip with sandpaper too fairly easily.

They fit in two rows inside a Global Classic leather case, right now mine are occupying one side of one page in a big 120 color case. I'm tempted to get a 24 color case though to house just the 48 Art Stix so that I'll use them more often - that'd spread wide open and be smaller, easier to handle and carry around.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 01-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

No crumbling? That sounds great indeed! I have a few of those Derwent Drawing sticks that come with Drawing Collections, and I like them, they're nice for sketching. Maybe I should really get a few Art Stix... They should be similar enough, except for the colour range.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

From what I understand, Art Stix are a lot like the Derwent Drawing Sticks that come in the color collections. I've been meaning to get a Color Collection to try those since Derwent doesn't market them separately. It's Prismacolor core material pressed into a stick and I've never had one break on me. They're insanely sturdy.

Also easy to pocket and relatively clean if you want to just grab a few sketching colors to take along with you. They're a lot of fun. Prismacolors are quite soft compared to Derwent's colored pencils except the Coloursoft ones, they're comparable to Coloursoft and a little more translucent.

Yay, happy package day! Blick replaced the Piston Fill Converter for my Rotring Art Pen. To my delight, the replacement part works just fine. The first one was just factory defective and would not snap into place no matter how much pressure I used or twisting or anything.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

The pens arrived from my swap! They were brand new, never been inked up. They are actually RadioSketch rather than Radiograph, but when I looked that up, it says they are pretty much the same with different barrel color. I inked each of them up and tried them. The nib is more wire-like than the micron, but I quite like them so far. . . have only done a few quick jots though so have to see when I really do a drawing with them.

I've already had an ink spill filling the second one as one of the dogs tried to help at a bad time. . . but I was able to wipe it up completely before it dried since I had a damp rag handy . . . whew! NOTE TO SELF, go into bathroom and close dogs out to fill pens with ink!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Rainy, definitely a good idea when dealing with Rapidographs of any kind. They're fussy things and if you drop one on its point you're out $15 or $20 replacing the point. They're wonderful though. The RapidoSketch one is a little easier to handle, the angle you hold it to the paper doesn't matter as much.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Good to know about them, Robert! Thanks. . . . they seem pretty fun. . . here are a few real quick sketches I just did for the Scavenger Hunt with the RapidoSketch #0

How do you think they compare to the Rotring pen you have?

Last edited by RainySea : 01-07-2011 at 01:10 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I got one for my son in law for his birthday a few years ago and he loves it. The Rotring ArtPen is more like a fountain pen, it has a fountain pen type point rather than a Rapidograph type point. I like it for that. Both of course work with bottle ink if you get the piston fill converter, another thing I like a lot since I always feel like I'll run out of cartridges otherwise.