WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Boston, MA

Hails from United States
MAPP gas container disposal

Hi all,

I have about 15 empty cans of MAPP gas from the days when I was first using my hothead torch. I cannot find anything on the web (our local sanitation services) which tells me where to dispose of them. Where do you all bring them? I am in Los Angeles and in fact have 2.5 cans of the stuff to give away to someone local. I am moving across the country and can't bring it with me.

Thanks,

Debbie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States
I work at Home Depot in Michigan, and since we sell them, we also take the empty cans back. We have special containment for hazardous materials and agreements to have them taken away.

"I am not greedy, but I like a lot. "
- William "Boss" Tweed 1823-1878
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States
When I was on a hot head I purchased most of my Mapp gas from Home Depot's. Some of them would take them back and others wouldn't. Just call around and see if you can find one that does.

If you have no luck there, call a local welding shop and see if they have any suggestions.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast
Salad Bowl of the World, Salinas CA.

Hails from United States
Call local trash services... Or local hazardous materials disposal services...

Dale
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Hayward CA

Hails from United States
Our local hardware stores (Orchard Supply, Lowes, Home Depot) will not accept used canisters back, our trash company won't even talk to me, BUT the local county Hazardous Waste facilities are happy to take them.

Try looking here: "Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County - HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE COLLECTION PROGRAM" http://www.lacsd.org/HHW/HHWFLIER.htm Give them a call and see if they can help you.

For other states, try here: AGENCIES & CONTACTS BY STATE http://www.epa.gov/grtlakes/seahome/...src/states.htm

By the way - the way I found these links was to enter "yourcountryhere county household hazardous waste disposal" or "yourcountyhere hazardous waste disposal." Give it a try and see what you can find!

Last edited by Mutterbutt : 01-23-2003 at 01:01 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 01:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Boston, MA

Hails from United States
Thanks all. Home Depot took them. As far as the LA County Sanitation services, I hesitated to go to one of their collection fairs since although they have a long list of things they will take, gases and gas containers are not listed. Given the terribly limited time I have before my big move back East in February, I didn't want to waste my time.

Debbie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 01:45 AM
Hayward CA

Hails from United States
Alameda County Hazardous Waste doesn't mention them either, but I called, they told me they did, and gave me the address and times to show up.

I'm glad your Home Depot does. The people I spoke to at Home Depot didn't understand what MAPP gas was till I explained it as brazing fuel, and then told me that of course they don't take those back! LOL - they were so informed! (They must moonlight at our PO - you know - the branch office that told me they don't do money orders.)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Lake County, Florida

Hails from United States
LOL, mutterbutt....that's like one of the Burger King's around here. You can have it your way, as long as it's with everything on it!!!

No one can seem to comprehend "plain cheeseburger"!

Dawn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Hayward CA

Hails from United States
LOL - One reason I eat a lot less fast food is no one around here seems to understand a burger without mayo and cheese. I sent one back three times before I just scraped the stuff off and ate it anyway!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States
I've worked at Home Depot for about a year (in Kitchen Design) and the ONLY reason I knew that our store accepted them is because I knew what they were and saw a shopping cart full of them by the hazardous materials cabinet. Admittedly, some people are just idiots (or too lazy to ask), but an "I'm not sure, I'd be happy to check for you though" goes a long way! If you check again and ask to speak to a manager (M.O.D.) you should get an accurate answer. There are also "Help" letters around that you can fill out to say you think they SHOULD accept them, or to complain about an associate's attitude/lack of knowledge. (You can also use them to praise someone too, don't forget!) BTW, I just got a canister that wouldn't stop leaking when I removed my HH -- so I returned it as defective -- no problem!

Now the food thing... I love when you order a pop at the drive thru and you don't get a straw (duh!) or any time they mess your order up and you have to go in (with NO apology) -- I was using the drive thru because I don't have time to go in!!!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Hayward CA

Hails from United States
Thanks for the tips on Home Depot. I'll go back and see if I can talk to the MOD. It would be great if they took them back, they are SO close to me!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States
MAPP disposal

I haven't asked my local Home Depot yet, but I did ask the welding supply store when I bought my refillable tank. They laughed, and said "most people" just stick them in a shopping cart in the parking lot, presumably in the wee hours of the night.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 AM
Hayward CA

Hails from United States
I got 2 people at Home Depot to say they will take them out of the 6 I spoke to. Of course, I have to find them which means going in on days they work. Sigh, and to think I used to work in retail and was proud of my customer service.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States
When you return them, just give them the name of the associates who said it was OK (because they all have hazardous waste disposal containers to accept them). Then they'll have to take it, in the name of customer service.

It's hard for every associate to know everything... fill out a comment card (they call them "Help Letters") and leave it at the store so management will be sure to see it. Hopefully, it will be addressed at a monthly store meeting and everyone will be on the same page.