WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Hendersonville, NC

Micromosaic Murrine

Does anyone know how you get the individual stringers to stand up while you are placing them? There is a photo in book one of 'Contemporary Lampworking' but all it shows is the completed bundle, not 10,000 stringers standing up on their own in the middle of the process.

Oh, heres a link to some of Mario Dei Rossi's work, which is the end all of the process (prepare jaw to hit floor):

http://ips.addr.com/artist_pages/mur...ssi/index.html

Thanks ya'll!

Chris Juedemann
www.glasskitchen.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 07:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Oh Chris, I can't believe the workmanship, the detail, the prices!!!!

I believe you and Lissa will have to take a trip to Italy to learn this technique.

Sara
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
somewhere in Kansas

Hails from United States
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting the link to these gorgeous murrini. I am fascinated by murrini and the different processes by which they are formed. I've never tried the bundle method. I guess you could use florist foam to hold the stringers in place. But, I'm just guessing. I also would be interested in knowing more about the technique...what do you use to bundle them. What temp do you bring the bundle up to in the kiln? etc.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Hendersonville, NC

I guess If we have to go to Italy, thats the breaks lol.
I am messing around right now trying this technique- I have a steel tube about 1.5 inches diameter, 1 inch tall. In the book I see they cut it in half and then wrapped wire around it for easy removal, however I am lazy so I lined the inside of the tube with fiber paper (kiln wash paper, whatever you want to call it). I put a piece of clear packing tape on the bottom, sticky side up, and laid the tube on top of the picture I want to make. The tape seems to be working well so far. Basically, for those that don't know the process, you take stringers and lay them in the tube vertically (which explains my question- how the heck do you balance a stringer on end). We thought about foam also, but you have to lift the tube and all the stringers inside up in order to place it on a kiln shelf. I'm worried the stringers would stick in the foam. I think tape might be easier to get off. As far as temps, I plan to fuse just like I do bullseye, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't melt away ;-) Of course you then take it out, clean it, bring it to temp and pull like a normal murrine. Whew.. sorry for the long post, I just came in to grab a beer.

I do hope someone has seen this technique though, and can let me know how you're really supposed to keep those stringers upright. I'll also take some pics of the process.

Chris Juedemann
www.glasskitchen.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast
N.E. Ohio

Hails from United States
Maybe Clay?

Hmmm,

How about clay? Remember Silly Putty? White Sculptey will transfer a picture in much the same way, but takes hours to absorb. But once on the surface and lifted all so gently, could you use it as your pattern and stab away with the stringers? It might have the gription to hold, wire away, and then cook?

Just an idea. I haven't gotten to the idea yet of how to clean the polymer clay off.... I also haven't figure out why after months of quietly lurking I decided tonight was the night to check in on Wet Canvas, but "EVERYBODY INTO THE POOL!"

These are not good words to live by in January......

Sheryll
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 09:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Land of the Bluish, Smoking Mountains

Hails from United States
Re: Maybe Clay?

Quote:
Originally posted by Booger
I also haven't figure out why after months of quietly lurking I decided tonight was the night to check in on Wet Canvas,
Sheryll

Ah Hhaaaa!!! Caught ya Sheryll!! You delurked. And since you took this initiative, could I please ask you to introduce yourself in the Lobby so everyone can say hi? I must say, you really have an original name there!! You'll fit right on in here with this gang! ( in case you're wondering, I somehow know when the DELURKERS show up and it's my self appointed job to direct you to introduce yourself in the Lobby, oh yeah, we'll be asking for eye candy too, so be ready!!!):evil
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
glue the stringers together with rubber cement. build from the inside out. then tie the bundle of stringers together with nichrome wires at the top and bottom of the bundle and place it into a kiln to preheat to 1100f. the rubber cement will burn off so be sure to ventilate. then get a gather on a punty and flatten to make a button the same size as the bundle, and pick it put. cut the wire nearest the punty off and then reheat. here is the tricky part, you need to cut off the remaining wire without it all falling apart. it helps to marver the bundle a bit before you cut off. then marver it to squeeze out the air. i usually encase the bundle, and then stretch it out to make the canes that i throw into the annealer to be used latter.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Shippensburg PA

Hails from United States
you might want to try elmers glue also, granted it doesnt set up as fast but it does hold, burns off with a little stink but no major issues.
I use it all the time for fusing stained glass pieces.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
S.C.

Hails from United States
wow thanks for this thread and all the good responses.

Been wondering about this myself as I would like to attempt a custom sig cane and the info is very helpful.

BrendaJ
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
somewhere in Kansas

Hails from United States
Brenda, for a signature murrini, I would recommend that you build it in the torch as opposed to building it cold with stringer.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
Lausanne, Switzerland

Hails from France
I've got what's called a Murini mold from Uruboros, for fusing them in a kiln. It's a kind of square with rectangular grooves. I tried it once but it took me so long to make all the stringers to fit in... I am not patient enough for that
Anne

My Facebook page
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Mexico

Hails from Mexico
This work is amazing! Just shows you what you can do with a little bit of glass! I always was amazed by painting done in miniature, but this just boggles the mind!

Laura
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Hendersonville, NC

Thanks guys!! The winner is... glue stick! Works like a charm. I went out to the studio to get elmers (have no rubber cement), and there was the trusty little Uhu.

The whole bundle is in the kiln now, I fused for an hour or so at 1300, as I wanted to get the glass in the middle to stick at least. Should be able to pull it down tomorrow (if it comes free of the mold).

I'm trying a Cosmos flower as it is nice and simple (so to speak). Again, if anyone has seen the correct way to do this, please let me know. Here are the pics so far.

Chris Juedemann
www.glasskitchen.com
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Hendersonville, NC

Halfway..
Attached Images

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Hendersonville, NC

A pic from the bottom- you can almost see the design. You can see the fiber paper lining the inside of the tube. I just set this on a shelf with kiln wash.
Attached Images