WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 PM

When did you become interested in Art?

Art has brought me such joy. Art has also help me cope through difficult situations. I become interested in art when corporate America no longer suited for me. As a former marketing executive I was tired of the long hours and my career had no purpose.

Art become my purpose. As a gallery owner I felt that it was my duty to have purpose to my life. That is why I started "Lets Talk Art"; an art industry blog that gives insight to the business aspect of art. I really wanted to take my marketing experience and combine it with my love for art. I wanted a place where artist can go to get the best advice on how to market their art.

So, when people ask me, Why did you become interested in art? I simply tell them, TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Thanks,

A. Antoni

Last edited by Greg Long : 12-10-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spam link removal
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 AM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: When did you become interested in Art?

I became interested in art shortly after I was born, I suppose. My dad, who was a printer, could always draw, and he had illustrated his HS yearbook with sketches and illustrations of a cartoon nature. I was always asking him "how to draw", and he'd show me as best he could. I tried to copy his style, but never could quite do the "illustration thing".

I first became interested in oil painting when I was about 49, and I have been doing it ever since, with a few watercolors thrown in. I've had a degree of success with it in later years, and now at age 73, I can truthfully say that I have enjoyed every minute of it.

On your blog, you have listed the 10 mistakes often made by artists, in terms of marketing. One that I might suggest adding is that of placing a completed date on a painting, along with the signature. It can have a tendency to put off a prospective buyer, because it can give the appearance that it is a "bad seller" or that it has been "hanging around" for a long time, especially if the date happens to be an older one.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

good point on the date thing WF, i only ever date the back now too and tell my students to do the same.

i was born artsy, doodled on everything, grew up artsy, first oil painting at 11, tried many diff things as a kid, very small town things, no museums around these parts, but doing art was the only thing that really grabbed and held on to my interests so i guess i will just always be, for as long as i'm able, artsy ... nobody else in my family is or can relate, tho i do remember being inspired by a pretty lady profile cartoon/line drawing my mom doodled when i was very young.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Earlier than I can remember. I always tried to draw. I hated my toddler drawings because they looked like toddler drawings. I wanted to draw things like the good illustrations in my dad's science fiction magazines, my few prized comic books and the better kid books like the color fairy tale series.

I found out pretty fast as soon as I got verbal that other people valued good drawings too. Also that Modern Art consisted of very wealthy grownups trying to draw like a toddler but getting famous for it for incomprehensible adult reasons. As a kid, I thought that was a cheat.

I didn't even begin to get the difference until art history classes in college. I still have strong likes and dislikes though, very few abstracts appeal to me and I've got no desire to go in that direction. Instead, I like landscapes, florals, representational art and if I ever get any good at it, will do some reconstructions of extinct animals.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I colored in coloring books at 5, took art classes in middle school, won some school art awards, more art classes in high school...I always had faith in my art and that is why I always have enjoyed it so much.

In my teens, I painted at a desk in a walk-in closet in my house, where I developed my love of acrylics.

When people ask me: why did you become interested in art?
I say: Because my family members encouraged me and genuinely enjoyed my art.

But now, when I ask myself: Why am I interested in art? I say, "Because colors and designs don't have any calories, and they're nice sedatives much like a glass of wine"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Otaki , New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I've been looking at pictures and drawing for as long as I can remember. I can still remember the illustrations from the first book I was given as a present that wasn't a school book - Sailor Dog (didn't like janet and john because apart from the boring words the pictures didn't look like the towns and farms I knew and weren't exotic enough to be interesting)

Why am I interested in Art ? because I am. Perhaps for the same reason I'm interested in food and archery
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Immortalized
California

I've always been able to draw but any classes over and above reading, writing, & 'rithmatic (history, social studies, sciences, etc.) were simply not encouraged...they weren't discouraged, they were "extra curricular." Even when I got a D in physical education for not taking showers in 7th grade (my family and I don't sweat and being the last class of the day, I figured it could wait til I got home) my parents shrugged it off and basically said (paraphrased) "it's a stupid class and a stupid reason to lower your grade but it is required and it does affect your overall GPA."

Life & career took priority. I never had time to develop my what inborn talents & interest I might have until about 4 years ago. Sports were never encouraged either, glad I got to develop those interests in my 20's & 30's, while by body could still recover more quickly. While I took art classes, I joked that I was working on my retirement skills.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2010, 02:53 AM
artyczar

When people ask me why I was interested in art I always say, "I was held by God at gunpoint."

I've been into art for as far back as I can remember but I have no idea why. No one in my family was exposing me to it. It's just one of those things I was after.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 AM
K-ville

Hails from United States

From the beginig. I have always drawn and on anything. I made this scribble drawing and what came out was a nice profile of a lady. I have found many drawings hidden in closets under tables in drawers and they were all snowmen. No clue why. I still find them lurking around my moms house.
Art and drawing are like breathing to me, you must have them.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM

I have always been interested in art, but I have not always been "good" at it. During my early college years, back in the 80s, I was informed by a drawing teacher that I couldn't draw because I could not see objects the way that he wanted me to see at the time. Instead of trying different wording, etc he wrote me off. Honestly, I'd like to see him again...and slug him a good one. He created what I am now, because he wrote me off. I wanted to be something very different than I am now. Now, I'm 40 years old and in art school, why??? Because I can't get the images that flow into my brain out any other way, period. I have to do art, of some form.

I am a bit bitter towards that teacher, but also at myself over the incident. Honestly, I should have told him to kiss off and found a different teacher. Instead, I gave up. My life would have turned out very differently. That stated, I'm not unhappy with my journey thus far, just dissatisfied. So, I have decided to change my direction.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I was told that from about age 2 I'd stand behind my mom and watch her draw and say "Wut dat?" But I was also born into art as a third generation artist, so it's in my blood.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Great thread
I have been interested in art ever since I was a little girl. I would sit there and draw for hours. I loved art class.
But it wasn't until my later 20s that I decided I would try something I have never done before. Painting! I fell in love with painting. I will not stop until my hands can no longer hold a paintbrush.
I go to sleep thinking about art & get excited to wake up the next day to a lovely canvas waiting for me

One must look at life from two perspectives...Your own & that of the other person or animal.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 PM
A Local Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

From early on, I had something of a photographic memory... or rather I could almost immediately memorize anything I had read. This, combined with an obsessive desire to know everything resulted in endless hours in school when I was completed with my work while others labored on... and so I spent the time doing endless drawings in my sketchbooks, notebooks, etc... I drew ornate mazes, labyrinthine battle scenes, historical narratives, and as I grew older, comic books and Dali-esque Surrealist fantasies with the obligatory hidden naked women. I passion for art was supported by my parents who had their own artistic outlets which took the form of model-making and wood-working. Like others here, art class was my favorite. I still remember all my art teachers. I transferred out of her class with the help of the other art teacher after she insisted we all hold our pencil like her, and made repeated negative remarks about my work.

Upon graduation, I was torn between going to school for writing/English/literature (I am an incurable bibliophile... nay, bibliomaniac) and art. Ultimately, art won out for the simple reason that I was more self-conscious about my writing than my art. I also suspect that my decision was impacted by the fact that I really had no examples of writers or academics of any sort within my family, but almost everyone had an artistic outlet of some sort. I had an uncle who was a photographer, a cousin who built ornate dioramas with model trains, another relative who was an architect, etc...

Last edited by stlukesguild : 12-14-2010 at 10:43 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

My mom used to draw. Mostly animals, but I remember this picture of a body builder's back she had drawn that was really good, too. I drew all the time, from an early age, but it wasn't until I was 20 years old that I picked up a paintbrush. I had always been interested in "the arts", but more in drama, poetry, and photography, than in what I do now. Now I work with Acrylics, though I won't turn down a fun photo manip. now and then!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Citizen of the World. Lisbon, Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I became interested in art when I discovered that I have the power to shape the world.
As a child I began to draw and paint my worlds from my imagination and for a long time everything I did were exclusively from my imagination.
Later on, in my adolescence, I developed a self conscientiousness in relation to the art making and the art object.