WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
This is a serious problem now...

...when I go to the supermarket and start putting veggies in the wagon not because we want them to eat but because I think they would be great to paint!

I got these gorgeous, ENORMOUS artichokes today...and a mess of tomatoes on a vine thingy...and I kept looking at the little eggplants thinking how nice they would be in pastels...hubby will be thrilled when he realizes he has to eat this whole, huge artichoke all by himself because I have one for me too! I needed two to balance out the picture of course!
Why do I think I am not the only person on the Forum who has this problem?

Hopefully I will get to post some veggie pictures later.

Sandy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Wow, I can see me starting to do the same thing. I'm not doing vegetables yet, but I am spending a lot of my time surfing the internet for photo refererences. I don't think there's a cure.
You are eating them after you paint them aren't you?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 01:29 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
Oh yes, we eat them...and in a way it really makes you work fast and hard because you know it will not last forever.
That's why I passed on the eggplants this week because I know with the holiday I am just not going to get to cook them. Maybe next week.
I think it is mostly Karen and Katherine's fault...all those wonderful fruit and veggies on black are so inspiring.

Sandy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Pa.

Hails from United States
Sandy,
You made me laugh so hard....I do a lot of still lifes in oil....Just call me the Queen of mold...the oils are labourous because of glazing etc.....Then I get a kick ot of my husband, he used to inspect the grapes to make sure they would look good in the still life and group different fruits together right at the market!!! People thought he was a little fruity.

Maybe I should start doing my still lifes in pastel, might cure the mold problem. or maybe I should specialize in painting mold...HUM....

Look forward to your veggie posts.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 02:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

hehehehe my husband still complains about the bread wine and grapes of a still life he wasn't allowed to eat or drink

What I want to know Sandy, is how do you COOK artichokes? My last effort was a disaster............
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 02:30 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
LOLOLOL Meow..... I had to giggle what you said hee hee...... and only this afternoon hubby had bought some food for tomorrows dinner party....... and low n behold a Whole Garlic...... My Mind went
Oooohhhhh ..... Karen.... Garlic.... Karen.. still Life lolol
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 02:55 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
How did I know I would find equally nutty (or should I say fruity)people here!lol!
These artichokes are presenting a problem. I have been busy all day...havent' even had an opportunity to set anything up. I have to go to really work tomorrow morning. So that leaves this evening and tomorrow afternoon to paint them...I was going to serve them tomorrow night. Kind of part of a nice New Years Eve dinner for hubby and me. Not sure I can get the picture done that fast...we may do without them tomorrow night.
I just sort of steam/boil them. I don't cover them completely with water but put them in a big pot and a few inches some water. Let them cook till you can pull off a leaf easily. I suppose I have over cooked them on occasion but never a real disaster. Try them again; they really are not too difficult. ANd yummy with a little melted butter/garlic.
Speaking of garlic.....

Sandy
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 03:10 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Quote:
Originally posted by meowmeow
Try them again; they really are not too difficult. ANd yummy with a little melted butter/garlic.
Speaking of garlic.....

Sandy

LOLOL

My mind just went....... Ohhh Garlic!! .... Karen... Garlic...... Still Life.... Garlic....... Artichokes....... Been invited to Meow's for New Years Eve

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
What a hoot!
I had to hold a peeled banana and paint a large one on polysteirene for my friend....it was very difficult not to take a big, glorious bite out of it! ...imagine a still life with chocolate!
I've got some choc. buttons and apricots to dip..but never quite got around to it..solution? Eat one apricot at the same time as a few choc. buttons.
Now - how to portray that in pastel with feeling and sensitivity...
Cheers,l
Carol
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2002, 08:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
You guys are just toooo funny!! I'm still laughing as I type this! Yes...I do the same darn thing....standing there in the vegy department looking not for dinner ingredients but still life participants!

On the artichoke thing....I steam it, cool it, cut it in half, clean it out, stick it in a plastic bag with some italian dressing and let it marinate a few hours, then cook it a bit more on the grill.....then serve it with a homemade garlic aioli! Yummmmmy!

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:25 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States
I get together with a couple of artist friends from time to time, and the first thing we do is make a foray to the grocery store, and swoop around the produce section, holding up fruits and vegetables and exclaiming loudly to each other about the shapes and colors! I'm sure we've gotten some strange looks, but we're having too much fun to notice. Then we get to the checkout counter, and have decided to purchase a bunch of flowers, two apples, one orange, one bunch of grapes, one radish, one cabbage, one purple onion and one brown one. I'm sure the clerk wonders what in the world kind of diet we're on.

TOO much fun!

Ruth