WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
snohomish, wa

Hails from United States
ettan vs takach press

hi, i've caught printmking fever and am researching etching presses. the 2 brands i'm interested in are the ettan and the takach. i want a sturdy, easy to understand table top model , not too heavy, that will produce at least a 16" by 20" print. I probably won't go much larger for a long time. right now i'm into monotypes and want to learn dry point also. i'm into non-toxic printmaking. i took a class using an ettan press and i loved it but from reading the posts here everyone seems to really admire takach. does anyone have any opinions on the ettan table top models and ettan vs takach? thanks so much for your help. donna
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Re: ettan vs takach press

You won't go wrong with either of them- They are both excellent machines. Takach presses are incredible machines, though- Once you've used (or even just LOOKED at) one, it's tough to use anything else!

Takach presses are very well made, and super smooth to operate. You can almost use one hand... Ettan are nice as well. Really, you will NOT be disappointed with either.

Get the biggest you can accommodate/afford- You will never regret buying bigger now- You will have far less investment in the long run than if you decide that you want to go bigger at a later time.

-Andrew
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM
snohomish, wa

Hails from United States

dear andrew,

thanks for the feedback. it would be great if i could have the chance to try a takach. i think the ettan grabbed me because it was so simple, sturdy and old fashioned looking. i'm kind of machine shy. i'm not very good technically so the ettan appealed to my sense of simple and solid antique looking. the takach looks very industrial. as you can see i'm looking for more practical points to consider than " I like the way the ettan it looks," hahahaha. i'm embarrassed to admit that but it's true. i felt comfortable working with the ettan and not " afraid" of screwing up. being able to come here to a place where there are a number of experienced, skilled print makers is such a helpful thing. what i've noticed from reading the posts is that everyone seems to be very supportive regardless of experince and skill level. it's a great feeling when you're a stonecold newbie to be able to ask really basic questions without feeling embarrassed.

so happy thanksgiving and thanks again. i'll let you know which one i end up with.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2010, 02:59 PM
snohomish, wa

Hails from United States

dear andrew,

BTW, i just went to your homepage and i absolutely was taken by your jewlery. it has the same feel as the ettan press i used... simple, solid and elemental feeling. nothing unecessary to it. are the larger pieces for sale ? the ones that look like bracelets with inset stones. i didn't see them on your etsy page. i'm intrigued to see more of your metal paintings and encaustics. i'm also a mixed media artist who really only became active in the last year after a long time of suffering a creative block. i work mainly in acrylics on wood and use a little collage and pastels too. i especially love using metaliics in my work. i love photography too and manage to get great shots but as i said am a bit of a technically challenged person. it hampers me. i felt envious when i read your bio and saw that you seem to be the opposite... confident and curious and jumping right in .

do you keep a sketch book? i refcently devoured the book " an illustrated life" by danny gregory which, if you haven't seen it, is an incredibly inspiring collection of differnt artsits sketchbooks. it's relit my desire to keep one.

off to start on thanksgivng prep. take care, donna
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 PM
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

Thanks, Donna...

Actually, all the jewelry on my site right now are rings- They are just VERY close macro shots that APPEAR to be much larger. The inset stones are just small

The simplicity of them is what I like- They are hand forged out of stainless steel on a coal fire- Then polished just enough.

As you saw on my site, I work in a LOT of different media- If I run in to creative block, I just switch to another project... If I'm 'arted out', I go to the woodshop, or work on one of my boat restorations... I like to keep busy

I do keep a sketch book- I try to draw something every day. I've done so for several years, and have a shelf full of them. Sometimes, when I get bored, I look back through them. I record a LOT of random thoughts and ideas in them, sometimes it's fun to go back and see what was going through my mind.

-Andrew
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Whidbey Island, WA USA

Hails from United States

Don't mean to throw a wrench into the works, but I just got a Conrad 15x30 tabletop press and I really like it. I think that Conrad has quality like Takach, but not as pricey. You should check them out also. David
Quote:
Originally Posted by db3819
. . . i'm interested in are the ettan and the takach.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
South East Colorado

Hails from United States

I will attest to the quality of Conrad presses. If you call, you can even talk to the president of the company. Tom Conrad is a very nice guy who has been extremely helpful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Albuquerque, NM

Hails from United States

Takach presses are amazing - and come with an incredible warranty. I'm fortunate to live in ABQ where Takach is located. It's a family business and you could not hope for a more helpful bunch of folks.