WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States
person(s) photographing paintings at an opening ...

hello
what do you think ?

i was at an opening of a juried show (with prizes) yesterday, and
here's this woman, not mingling or talking to the prize winners
going around taking pictures of all the ribbon pieces !

it was all i could do not to bust her camera
and boot her butt out the door !

she was too smartly/stylishly dressed and old enough to know better
and had ' playing dumb ' all worked out

or was i overreacting ?

:} Ed
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:06 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: person(s) photographing paintings at an opening ...

That's a tough one. I notice many people taking photos at art show receptions. Even if it's posted that photos are prohibited, there are always cell phone cameras. I'm guessing that if it's not posted, it's permitted. That's just my opinion.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I understand your feelings, but maybe it is a little overreaction, since you haven't said whether she was one of the show promoters, or a reporter, or possibly had been asked or paid by the show to do some recording of the winners... Personally, in the same situation, I'd have quietly stepped in front of her and asked her if she was working with/for the show promoters, or possibly I'd have spoken to someone involved with the show's presentation to see if they were aware of what she was doing and let them handle it. There's no telling why she was shooting the photos, without asking her--but it's a GOOD question!

I had many occasions throughout the years I was showing (primarily at at fairs or booth shows) to step in front of people with cameras and block their view of my paintings, smiling as I explained why I'd prefer they not do that. Some were genuinely surprised, others became defensive ("I'm out here on a public street!"), and there were a few who had their own motives, too. No way to know without asking!

It isn't too late to point this out to the show promoters, since they might need to clarify the policy regarding photos of the work for those minding the show. It sometimes takes a little chutzpah to step in front of that camera...
Gouache Blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Um, would you enlighten a poor foreigner, an alien, as to why a pic of a painting would be a problem? (Or, of the ribboned ones, or of the whole show?) This is a genuine question, I do not understand.

I get copyright (using the photos for gain, or painting copies, or whatever). I understand museums who sell prints/DVDs etc, and not wanting zillions of photons from flashes bombarding the precious paintings speeding aging of them.

And, of course, if it is not allowed, then that's simply it.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

I'm with Charlie on this. I would take it as a compliment if someone liked my picture enough to want to take a photo of it. It could also be that the person in question had been asked by the organization putting on the show to take a photographic record of the winners.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Resting in Peace
Syracuse, NY

Hails from Costa Rica

As Deborah said, you better check with the show promoters first, and file a complaint with them if that is in the bylaws.

At a local guild show taking photos is prohibited. Every member knows this and the policy is reinforced when we see someone else trying to take pics. Artist are allowed to take photos of their own set up before the show opens to the public.

At other shows I have attended I always ask if it is allowed to take pics. My reason for doing so, it's mostly to get ideas about framing. Anyway, I doubt anyone is able to get good pictures under exhibit conditions to try doing something illegal with them.

If this issue bothers you, you have the right to voice your thoughts to the organizing committee.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

The shows I mainly exhibit at also have the no photos rule....It's fairly standard over here...
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
Karen - i understsnd your point about opportunity with tech toys
this person apppeared to be collecting images
with no consideration/ explanation of intent
i was standing next to her in front of the Best in Show
the artist was standing right there ...
and there was no conversation before the camera was aimed
not with the artist in the frame, but the painting only

Deborah - yes, good point, i did not ask that question about promotion
by the same token, when i said, ' i see you're taking pictures of the winners '
the response was a dumb look/silence ...
and i felt hot to that
and tried to find some way to explain the disrespect
(could be a subject for a painting ! )
i will bring the issue to the art association
even if they ' nudge the judge ' re. my future entries

Charlie - if someone takes a pix of a painting that you made
without your permission ... ?

Carol - let me see if i get this right :
your painting is significant enough to photograph
but not to purchase ...

Adriana - sound like the local group is very clear
and that keeps things simple, kiss
introducing yourself is polite, and why not ?

Deidre - clear and direct

Last edited by sketchZ1ol : 11-07-2010 at 07:33 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Whenever I have been in an art show with the local art club that I am a member of, there is always someone from the club documenting the winners by photo. Hopefully, that was the case here. If it was not someone who already had permission, then they should get that permission first, in my opinion.

Why would I mind? The person taking the pics is getting for free what they would normally be paying for. If you want an image of my painting then I would hope that you would buy the original or a print. I might also have notecards or postcards for sale. But if you want it for free - sorry, I will probably object. (OK, if you ask me nicely, I would probably give permission - but I am not depending on my art sales to live - thank goodness! )

Or, if you are an artist looking for ideas, well, I would object to your copying my painting without my permission, just as I would object if you copied (and painted) a painting from my blog or from WC. Granted, with the internet this is probably happening much more than in the pre-internet days. But if you want to copy my painting, ask me first.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I have been a member of an art club for over 18 years, and we do at least two to three shows per year. Each and every artist in the club (at least to my knowledge), objects to strangers coming in and taking pictures of the artwork displayed at the show. We have a sign posted, and we do enforce it. Each year, at our annual members show, this woman shows up in a trench coat, camera in hand, trying to take pictures of the artwork. I kid you not, she actually wears a trench coat! We wait for her to arrive, and tell her if she wants to view the work she has to hand over her camera. Upon leaving the venue, her camera will be returned. She's never too happy about it, and huffs out of the building. Many of my collegues are very disturbed by her actions, and feel her taking pictures of the artwork is like stealing. I agree wholeheartedly, as I for one work hard to create my work, and don't appreciate a person feeling it is okay to just "walk off" with an image and not pay for it. Who knows what she intends to do with it.

I guess one could look at it like a compliment, but I for one, agree with Don. If you like it, then either admire it or buy it, but to take it home for free, well, not so much...... I don't need or care about a compliment, but the sale would be nice.

As far as posting our work on the internet, Don is right on there as well. I agree that if you want to copy my painting for any reason, please ask first. And if I say yes, then give me credit for the original image. I definitely object to anyone copying it without asking. That has happened to me recently on Wet Canvas. I posted a painting quite some time ago, not as a lesson that others could follow, but just as a painting I did, not even a WIP. Someone painted it recently, and posted it in the Pastel Gallery. I wasn't too pleased, but I guess like Don said, posting our work here on WC or on the internet on a blog or website opens you up for this kind of thing. I'm sure it happens all the time. I'm just not happy when I find out about it.

Now, copying a painting from a purchased "how to" book, and giving full credit to the original artist, and not selling the painting, but keeping it for your own records, is okay in my opinion. It's a great way to learn, and I'm sure the artists that write these books expect people to copy the paintings in them as part of the learning process. Again, I wouldn't sell them, they are just for my personal records.

My 2 cents...... Sorry for the ramble.....

Last edited by allydoodle : 11-07-2010 at 09:29 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchZ1ol
Charlie - if someone takes a pix of a painting that you made
without your permission ... ?

No problem with that. They're welcome to a pic of the glare on the glass, a pic that will be too dark anyway as the white mat will decide the exposure.

Really truly, no problem at all with that. After all, I post my paintings all over the internet, and on my site. *Everybody* knows how to download a photo from the net. Makes little sense to me to object to someone taking a pic of fuzzy glary paintings on a wall. It is that balance between accessibility (customer downloading pic to look at while they decide if they're to buy or not, showing to friends/spouses = marketing), and protecting copyrights (hey, I'm famous, one of my pics have been stolen by the 'factory' copyists in a country in the far east!). I have quite a number of paintings that have new homes, and I have no control over who shoots pix of them.

Though, I am with Don, I'd rather have them buy postcards. Well, the actual *painting* would be best, of course.

I'd object a lot to copyright violations, and take legal action. And I'd definitely ask people to not take pics if it is not allowed in the venue.

I've taken pics of a show (asked first, got permission) just as a memory jogger of what was in it, some framing ideas, *hanging* ideas, and to figure out how important series was to the jury. And, to show friends I was there, it was nice, go and see it!

And thank you all for explaining and making it more clear. I think it *is* a cultural question. Here, it is allowed to take pictures of other people's gardens and houses, as long as you stand outside the fence/hedge, for example. It is allowed to use photos and paintings of people you've shot (photographically) or sketched in public places.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I understand your concern Ed - ask first before taking photos.

On the other hand, I agree with Charlie - the photo would be of no use for reproduction. If they were looking for ideas to copy, that would be a no-no.

So, I guess your next step would be to express your concerns to the show committee and maybe they will take steps to prominently display the ruling on this at their next show.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

I'm with you Charlie.

Can't see any sense in getting hot under the collar aboutt a fuzzy image snapped with a hand held camera. Tripod and special diffuse lighting is another matter and I would object to that unless it was for promotional purposes and sanctioned by organizers and artist.

Works covered by glass are hopeless to photograph anyway. I know, I just tried to do a photographic record of our art society's latest show for our archives. And yes, I gave myself permission as I ran the thing. Had to delete most of the pics I took and I didn't use a flash because the venue had excellent natural light. That natural light reflected back beautifully into my camera lens from glass and from varnished oils. Took lots of nice pics of myself reflected in the art too.

If they are going to copy anything they can just trawl through hundreds of artist's sites on the web and pinch pics from there. If you don't want your work copied (probably ridiculously badly), then don't exhibit and don't post photos of it on the internet.

Not worth getting your knickers in a knot over it.

Another platitude but more polite:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
(I pinched that quotation. No idea who said that first but whoever said it, is probably long, long dead and copyright expired).

Dale
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

I agree with Charlie, also.

I currently have paintings hanging in two local shows in public spaces. It would be absolutely impossible to police who might come in with a camera and photograph the work. Although I'm uncomfortable with this, the risk/possibility of it happening is a part of putting my art "out there" for the public to see.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I definitely understand that posting our paintings on the internet puts them out there, and available for copying, etc. That is the peril of the internet, something we just have to accept. It's part of the process of getting your work out there and seen. You can't keep your art in a closet and expect exposure at the same time - you have to take the good with the bad. (Maybe I don't like it, but I do accept it as part of the process.)

I guess when a sign is prominently displayed stating no cameras allowed, and not photos of artwork allowed, then I expect that to be honored, and when it is not, then I have a problem with it. If a club feels that is their policy, then they need to be clear about it at every venue. Ed, I guess maybe your art association needs to discuss this for future venues, to decide how to handle it.

If artwork is hanging in a public display (restraunt, winery, etc. not an art gallery), you have no control over what happens, and you certainly cannot police it. I don't worry about it.

As an aside, the music industry frowns upon people recording at performances, and states that cameras and video equipment not be brought into the venue. I guess no cameras at art exhibits would be a similar request, and not unreasonable (at least in my opinion).

Last edited by allydoodle : 11-08-2010 at 08:43 AM.