WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Nov 2010 Journal Chat thread

Boo! Happy November!

Here's the link to the October chat thread.

For November we thought we'd try a "page-a-day" in our sketchbooks. Details here in Robert's thread.

Happy Journalling!!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Nov 2010 Journal Chat thread

Yay! Another chat thread

I actually have not done a thing creative all day....... but have been busy planning a family holiday for January, we are off to Tasmania. Been trawling the net looking for places to stay etc. Tomorrow is another day, so it will be a goal to get back to my celtic gods and goddesses
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purrrr thank you for starting this, EP! This rocks.

Today marks the start of Nanowrimo, and I need to start my novel. Naturally I'll probably also start my novel illustrations once I have a few words and maybe a scene down so that I know what to put in it. I might be commenting a little less frequently this month with two major creative endeavors going on at the same time but I'll still be around.

Jackie, I'm really looking forward to more celtic gods and goddesses, but hope you have fun in January in Tasmania. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Off to the land of really big cats with really big teeth... meanwhile a big 15lb cat has slithered into my lap to keep us warm. He has big teeth too, when he shuts his mouth they stick out under his lips into tiny sockets on his lower lip. Ari is trying to evolve into a sabertooth - he's part of what gave me the idea to write about them. He's purring at everyone and shedding many Cat Hairs of Inspiration in your general direction.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I did a another splattering demo which will be my page for today. I've yet to photograph it.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

wow, that nanowrimo site must be superbusy today. . . I was trying to check it out but keeps timing out! Good luck with BOTH projects, Robert. Scratches to Ari!

Very cool to see another splatter page! I will look for it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jackie - Tasmania - cool!!

Robert - purr right back at you. Glad to hear your Nanowrimo is off and galloping

Viv - I love that splattering piece. Where's a video of how you do it? Hmmmm??

Rainy - hello!

Good to see folks doing the November challenge. I've got two done so far but have yet to photograph them. They don't fit into my previous threads and I have yet to start a new thread.

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

video? oh now you are getting too technical!

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from European Union

Good luck with NaNoWriMo robertsloan. I've been participating the last few years (though failed last year) but this year I'm a bit swamped with uni. Might give it a shot anyway and see how far I get. I won't manage 50k though!

And I've missed the kick off for the November daily sketch thingy aswell it seems :P Oh well. And I'd like to browse more threads here but the uni network seems to be slow and it's taking ages for the site to load
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

I did the three day novel writing contest for a few years and ended up with a carpal tunnel-like syndrome ... thankfully I did not get this situation pacing myself writing 50k words in NaNoWriMo.... how odd....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

EP, I can understand wrist problems with the Three Day Novel Contest. I had some minor wrist problems too until I switched to the Dvorak keyboard and worked out how to sit so that I'm not messing them up. It made the difference. I haven't had wrist problems since but that was really scary. Pacing for Nanowrimo is a lot easier after that.

I've managed it now for three days. Current word count: 22,396 words halfway through chapter 8. My cats are sleeping on full bellies, looking as silly as a well fed pride of lions do when they crash. I also managed three days of sketching with it, but seem to have stuck with the Pigma Micron whether cartooning or not. Would be odd if this month was all or mostly pen and ink because of that.

It's been hard switching tracks to do both, but I think I can keep up both my Page a Day and my novel challenge - the novel's going great and three pages into Page A Day, I'm still hanging on. A few more days and I'll start having habits again that keep it rolling. It's a big change of routine to "write first, then sketch in a chapter break."

But if I ever want to write novels for a living instead of being disabled for a living, I need to be able to do both my writing and my art. So far it's working this year.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Robert - good luck, it sounds like it is falling into place at the moment.

EP - second trip for us to Tasmania (first about 14 years ago). Really looking forward to it - lots of lovely wilderness areas and a quiet pace....

Airfares, accommodation and car hire booked, so time to sit back and while away the weeks till January! Been doing very little sketching/drawiing but I tend to do that - I am an "all or nothing" sorta person! Got a full day in work tomorrow so not likely to do any more for a few days and may be absent in commenting on all those lovely sketchbooks that are on the go.......
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Great work, Robert. That is a huge amount of words for three days! Can I ask, how much of the story do you have in mind in advance? Do you 'dig up the fossils' as King does and just start with a general idea? I tend to do that when I write so I was just wondering. Look forward to seeing day 3 drawing. . . yesterday's conveyed so much coming conflict it was full of tension

EP, glad your trip plans are going well.

I am supposed to be able to pick up my van from the shop today (it broke down at the grocery on Monday) so we shall see. . . been driving my old beat up truck for these past few days and actually quite enjoying the change, funny!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Jackie and Rainy! Yeah, I go into a novel with only a general idea and then find out about the rest of it as I go along. That's just my method. Some writers can't do anything without an outline. I can't come up with a good outline until I've written the story and know what happened!

I've also got no idea what I'll draw today either. It might be from the story or I might just draw things around me.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

We celebrated my 20th anniversary with the company I work for today. I got a gift, (one I chose out of a catalog they supply for this.) a nicely framed print called "Tuscan Colors" by Charles White. It will look great hung up in my front room. I don't know if staying for 20 years at the same company doing essentially the same thing, (mechanical design) is a sign of loyalty, reliablity or just lack of ambition.

We're going to have near perfect weather tomorrow so I told my boss I need to take a vacation day and he said okay. Work is real slow right now so I guess all the planets lined up or something. I'm going to try hitting the canyon to do some hiking and sketching. Seems like I've said that several times in the last couple weeks and it never happened, hopefully it works out this time!

David
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
We celebrated my 20th anniversary with the company I work for today. I got a gift, (one I chose out of a catalog they supply for this.) a nicely framed print called "Tuscan Colors" by Charles White. It will look great hung up in my front room. I don't know if staying for 20 years at the same company doing essentially the same thing, (mechanical design) is a sign of loyalty, reliablity or just lack of ambition.

We're going to have near perfect weather tomorrow so I told my boss I need to take a vacation day and he said okay. Work is real slow right now so I guess all the planets lined up or something. I'm going to try hitting the canyon to do some hiking and sketching. Seems like I've said that several times in the last couple weeks and it never happened, hopefully it works out this time!

David
DAvid - good to get a vacation day in, isn't it. Today in our office meeting, we talked about our 2011 business plans and the importance of life balance and taking some personal time. I'm going to start doing that: 1 day/week for photograpy jaunts and for art. Would rather do that than some of the suggested personal time, like spa treatments. I'm an independent contractor and really didn't need permission, but it's always good to have validation and encouragement.

Carole A