WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
November Challenge "Page-A-Day" Signup!

Welcome to the November 2010 "Page a Day" Challenge!

By overwhelming consensus in the October "Sketchbook in a Month" Challenge Chat Thread, we wanted a new challenge. "One Page a Day" took the lead as the most popular suggestion.

It doesn't matter what sketchbook you use, or what size it is. On a busy day, use a smaller sketchbook and do quick gesture sketches.

It doesn't matter what medium you use.

It doesn't matter what subject you draw. Though if you have a subject you want to get better at, you can theme your challenge to do "hands" or "Big Cats" or "trees" or "eyes" and get in a lot of concentrated practice on something that you'd like to improve in. Or show off on and improve in, there's always that stage of skill where others think it's great and you aren't satisfied with it. Ask for C&C if you want help.

It doesn't have to be from life, it can be from photos or from imagination. If you want subjects and good reference photos, check out the subject and medium forum November Challenges, check the Weekend Drawing Event in All-Media Art Events or the week's challenge in Drawing and Sketching forum. Or just pick a subject you like and check the Reference Image Library for something that grabs you.

Do one page a day in any of your sketchbooks to complete the challenge. That's a total of 30 pages in November. When I fall behind for reasons of health, I try to make up the lost day on something like this, but you don't need to. Just trying again the following day is good enough. Life interferes - but if you get in a lot of days, that's still a good result.

There's other ways to deal with life interruptions though. If you're not sure you can do this on a long busy day, keep a little tiny sketchbook like a pocket Moleskine handy. I've seen even smaller ones - the sort where a life size doodle of two acorns might fill a page. That little page counts. My smallest is 2 1/2" x 4" - like an ATC with a half inch extra. No matter how busy or rotten a day is, I can manage to doodle on that.

If you have space to spread out, try going really big on a giant sketchbook. Draw from the arm rather than the wrist, turn charcoal on its side for big sweeps of tone. That can be fun and powerful. It can also go fast if you work loose and sketchy instead of tight and detailed.

The day's page doesn't have to be good. Total flops are full of information about what doesn't work. Sometimes something about the complete failure is a wonderful thing that'd work perfect if you did it on purpose in a different context. So don't be afraid to jump in because you're new or you can't draw well or you think you can't draw well.

With a page a day practice, odds are by the end of the month you'll look back and be amazed at how much better you draw than you did at the start. That happened for me on the October challenge and I already knew I could draw well.

Please use the Butt Icon if your day's page needs it. That always attracts half the readers who really enjoy classical nudes and other adult subjects.

Because participants will be using multiple sketchbooks, an Index would start turning into an index of all the active threads in the forum. So this month there won't be an Index as such. I'll post a Progress and Chat thread on November 1st though, so you can come post there to announce that you finished the day's page.

I'm sure sometime during November a good idea for a December Challenge will come up out of the discussion.

Happy sketching! Post to this thread to pledge to do it, or if you have any questions about the November Challenge!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 10-31-2010 at 01:56 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States
Re: November Challenge "Page-A-Day" Signup!

I'm in Robert!

My plan is to finish up two sketchbooks that are unfinished, which will account for 27 of the pages combining what is left in each (10 & 17) and then the other three days I will wing it! I've been wanting to finish up all the sketches I have open before I start a new one, so this will give me the inpetus.

Thanks!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Yip! I'm in Smaller books this time... probably 5x8"
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Oh, I so want to. Can I manage? I opted out last month because all my sketchbooks have so many pages. Filling one would be nigh on impossible. But, maybe, just maybe, I could pull this off. It would certainly challenge me to get back into sketching... OK, I'm in.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Rainy, that's fantastic! Cool idea to finish up two half full sketchbooks. EP, cool idea and good size to work with. Debby, so glad you're jumping in. Sure, give it a go - and when in doubt, draw big and fast. Charcoal and markers and brush pens are good for filling a page really fast when you're rushed.

I want to at least start mine for the Sketchbook Project. It has 40 pages so I wouldn't be filling it this month unless I happen to fill it - but I'm going to be trying for both sides of the page on it. Then rotate to others when I want to do water mediums, the ones I started but neglected during October.

I've got the Water Folio still going. Even though I put some of the Color Explorations into the Pentalic, I'd like to get back to that one and maybe do some more demos and color mixing experiments. I'm also wickedly tempted to open up a new watercolor Moleskine but I'd probably do better finishing up the big Folio before I do that. Even if they're that cool, I'm better off keeping the number of active ones to reasonable. I still want to play with the black pages Derwent a bit though too.

If you have an old thread for a half finished sketchbook, find it and bump it up rather than starting a new thread for it. Even if that takes a little searching once, it's better than the front half of the book being lost.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

So Robert. . . . if not doing this in only one book (as in my case, I'm doing two half full ones) and if we don't have a sketch book thread for the books were are doing, where do we post the page a day at? Will it be like a daily sketch thread we add to or do we start a unique thread for our each sketch a day?

Thanks!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

I SO want to try! I failed sadly at the October sketchbook challenge. Sigh. But one page a day - maybe I could do that! Robert, I've loved looking at everyone else's sketchbooks this month. Everyone has done such fantastic work! I'm signing up for the November one and hope I can do better this time!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I'm in, in fact I already started the other day. My challenge goes just one step further in that I'm requiring that at least one sketch/day be done from life, (for me one sketch usually = one page anyway.). I'll be using sketchbooks #5 and #6 at least for this, and may even be starting a #7 for pen and WC if I get to it, so I'll just post as normal to my sketchbook threads. With everybody using multiple sketchbooks I'm not sure how else you could do it except the way we always do it. I might not post every day though, I may wait a few days and then post a few sketches all at once from the previous few days, in fact I might just make my posts a weekly thing.

David
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Oct challenge was a great experience... I may give it a try again, and stick with my Oct thread with the same sketchbook.... plenty more pages left.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Queensland

Hails from Australia

I am interested, have just done day one, waiting for clarification on threads...

... Robert, do we create our own thread? (I'm new around here)

Cheers

Progress not perfection
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

hi, yes i'm in.
i mucked around with the october challenge. i actuallly did a lot more than i shared, playing with colours and generally sketching trees and branches. at least now i have foliage which i am happy enough with, for now at least!!!
so i will continue working in my october challenge sketchbook which i didnt finish. but at least i have started now, and i will take advantage of the scavenger challenges as well. everyone here is so encouraging, and even though strictly speaking i havent met the october challenge , i have started and am taking some good steps forward. and i guess each step, is forward!!!
janine
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
near Gembrook, Vic

Hails from Australia

I'd like to sign up as well - I flopped at the October challenge courtesy of husband, both kids and myself having been nailed by flu followed by 3x chest infections, an ear infection, sinus infection and a sprained finger plus 4 energy soaking commissions. O_o

Considering prior to September I produced at a rate of maybe 1 sketch a YEAR though I'm still heaps more productive! LOL With 60 sheets in my original sketchbook, I still have a bit over 30 left so will use the same book if that's okay! I hope to post the remaining pages from October tomorrow!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

If you already have a thread for that sketchbook, Rainy, like your two half finished ones, just find your old thread for that book and bump it. If you're going to keep all the month's pages in one sketchbook and start a new book, make a thread for it. Art Journals threads are per volume.

If you're doing loose pages, consider putting them into a binder, presentation book or folder and call that a volume, then make a thread for it. If they're smaller than 8 1/2" x 11" or that size, you can get page protectors or children's report holders that'd easily hold 30 pages unless they're all on heavy paper.

Yay for so many people signing up! Once again - same book as a previous journal is fine.

If you didn't finish October's "Sketchbook in a Month" challenge, bumping that thread to fill the old book is a great idea. I know I'll still be reading all the new posts and new pages folks put in those to complete them.

Chris, if you never posted a thread here before, make a new thread for your sketchbook and get started. I have multiple threads for different sketchbooks but I just got a new one that I need to make a thread for - and it's the one that'll get the lion's share of my novel illustrations so it's a necessity for my November pages.

My reward for doing the day's chapter in my Nanowrimo novel is to sketch something in the journal from the Sketchbook Project - it's at Art House, there's links all over or you could google Art House or Sketchbook Project to find out. I signed up and got the Moleskine Cahier they send out a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to finish my October sketchbook before starting it.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Thanks, Robert. . . I did start a new thread because other than my October Journal (which is now done), I have no other Art Journal threads to resurrect.

Look forward to seeing everyones journal, both new and the continuing ones1
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

I'm in. I never did a thread for my October sketchbook, as I was super busy with art workshops and life. I did however fill my book. I just did not have enough hours in my days to scan and post and comment. This month I'm going to do color mixing and color theory, so I will be doing tests with the wide variety of mediums I have on hand, and doing some sketching along those lines. So for me November will be the month of Color! And I need to begin my coffee and cigarettes for the Sketchbook Project too. I had planned to rebind it with new paper...didn't happen, I may just try a page or two with the existing paper, it would be limited to graphite, colored pencils maybe and ballpoint as my pages are quite thin. I obviously got a different book than you Robert.

I'm off to Hobby Lobby to get another Pentallic in a larger size to handle all the testing, I think the 5x7 is a wee bit small for that.

Good luck everyone, and goodluck on your Nanowrimo Robert!