WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia
Oct 2010 Art Journals Chat thread

Congratulations to all who are particpating in the October Sketchbook Challenge, I have seen such a variety of medium, styles, subjects and ideas for using a sketchbook that is has been a valuable resource to keep in mind for my own

Personally I am finding it difficult to do justice with commenting on the great work I am seeing, plus find time for my own sketchbook
and I see that some others are commenting similarly.

EP, as our mod I was wondering if the forum could have a regular chat thread so we could maybe converse on general themes or pass on information in an easier manner? I do my best to congratulate, comment, and encourage everyone as often as I can and hate to miss anyone out, it would be nice to have a chat thread to do it in. On the other hand, I really appreciate the encouragement and time people take to comment on my sketchbooks too - it keeps me going

Anyway, just throwing the idea out there - what does everyone else think?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Chat thread for the Art Journal Forum?

Hi, the original thread got lost on page 2 here, hasn't been added to since early Oct. Maybe it will pop back to the top if we post there again?? I'll mosey over & try- Robert started it as the original challenge chat.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Candace! I meant a regular, general monthly chat - not necessarily related to the challenge itself - anyone interested?!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

I can certainly set up something like this
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Sounds like a good idea to me. Most forums have a chat thread for things like having a kid, your cat spreading your paints on the wall, various things offstage that help us get to know each other personally. I think it's a great idea.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:55 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Jackie - Sounds like a great idea. I'm also having trouble finding time to comment on everyones sketchbook/journals. There all so wonderful and unique.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

A lot of the forums have a chat thread for general stuff, on topic and off. I agree we could certainly have, and probably should have, one here. It can be where we get to know each other as whole people not just as an artist.

But, that doesn't alleviate the issue of having so many threads to comment on because of the sketch book challenge. Even before the sketchbook challenge arose, there were lots of threads to comment on and appreciate. I don't know what the solution might be to this.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

This is a good idea. I like getting to know people around a project area. The Wetcanvas forums are huge an dit is mindboggling to figure out how to get to know people. Everyone seems so nice here which makes choosing firends an even bigger challenge. It's sort of like going to a restaurant where all the dishes are fabulous and you have to choose one to eat.

So, we're chatting here?

I haven't posted on anyones' work here and I haven't done much drawing. I am sooooo busy. Art has to take a back seat. Even my studies at college have to take a back seat for family (parents as neighbors) and household issues. My housework got so behind I had to stop everything. I have a three page paper to do tonight.

I just wish I could say, "Art comes first".

I wonder if I actually mademaking art the major priority in my life and gt that part pf me satisfied, then the rest of my life could flow together and work. As in having making art empower the rest of my life?

What has been your experience in this.

After dinner tongiht with my family I would liket o just stop everything and make a piece of art and put it up on eBay.

Diana

PS: Is this the kind of chatting you mean?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Diana, yes, that is chatting. And, yes, it's hard to make art a priority when you've got other obligations. However, the house will still need attention tomorrow and even if you get everything done, housework-wise, it'll need to be done again. So, let it go and get to your art.

For me, art is a hobby. My passion and priority is making candy. So, if art slips by the wayside, it's not a huge thing. I do like to draw, so do return to it time and time again.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

O! Jackie- duh, I misunderstood your original comment. Yes Chat Are Us! Love the idea. I enjoy the "oil gusher" on the oil pastel forum, and would enjoy doing that here. It seems like we discuss so much here on each person's work, I hadn't missed the chat thread. Now I want one too!

Diana, I know what you are saying. I am not a professional artist but I have come to identify myself as "artist" this past year, even if I just draw and paint for my own pleasure, after work and between vacuumings. I have developed a sketching habit over the past several months and discover it sooths my mind. I used to write all my daily whine and geez in a journal... now I draw in a sketchbook and my journal has nearly been abandoned.

Does anyone else feel that way- drawing/painting can be actually theraputic?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I think the chat thread is a good idea, although I can't promise that I would use it very regularly.

I went from sketching and posting every day, to hardly sketching at all - no special reason, just letting other things crowd the artistic juices out and lack of motivation. But while not sketching, my reading and posting here fell off too, and so I haven't even checked in for a while. Thus, I didn't even know about the October sketchbooks until this weekend when my sister Joan brought hers to show me. Too late for me to do an October one, but I'm going to make an attempt to view and comment on some of the many listed here. Perhaps they will inspire me to pick up a pencil or a brush.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi everyone! Looks like we enjoy "chatting"!!

Michelle, I understand where you are coming from - I drop in and out of WC as life and motivation allows me - I think it is the same for a lot of people.

Candace - lol! Yes - for me art is therapeutic and one reason I have never really tried to pursue it any more seriously - I feel I would lose the feeling of "this is one of life's pleasures" for me and end up becoming mundane. I certainly can lose whole blocks of time while drawing and painting

Debby, I understand - I am trying to keep up with all the work being posted as I love seeing what everyone is achieving but feel guilty if I miss one or two out
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I forget where I've been at WC and have to keep a scratchpad to note where I commented- if I was asking a question. Someone will take the time to answer & I don't want to fail to return and read it! I really enjoy unwinding by enjoying everyone's art, particularly times when I don't have the energy to draw or paint, but I want to "do art." What a great invention the WC site is!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I just thought of the idea that the sketchbook challenge can be the warm up drawings for the day. I need that, especially now because my drawing skills are so rusty.

Diana
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Diana, that'll work. Even with everything you described that you have going on, it's possible to stick to daily art. I got into the habit by way of "If I don't have time for anything else, I'll do a two minute gesture sketch of my cat." So I did hundreds of cat drawings and now actually get him accurate, as well as getting my big cats a lot more accurate. But as long as I can trust myself to do the gesture sketching no matter what happens, I don't lose the habit.

The more polished things like that leopard or yesterday's oil pastels landscape come along when they do. I put in the time, I'm feeling okay and get involved, they come out better though after all the loose sketching.

Yikes, parents as neighbors? I can see how that'd rapidly turn into no time available for anything if you're at all close. But if you start the day with sketching the art time will grow, squeezing its way into priority ahead of other stuff. I think you're right that if you give the art a priority it'll help get the rest of everything more sorted out, put you in a better frame of mind.

It'll come rushing back fast even if you're rusty, it may even come back better than before. That's happened to me more than once.

Well... I got my goal. I got more or less caught up. Just did first sketch page for today, quick gestures after posting so much about doing quick gestures to improve since I was feeling tired and might go back to bed. Two pages today would be enough, three is completely caught up for all the sick days and a little ahead. Yesterday was just crazy with four pages and a good 12-13 hours of solid artwork. But I'm back on stride with it, what a relief after the long rotten flu/cold/thing.

Next month I'm going to start my sketchbook from The Sketchbook Project, Art House. I got it a couple of weeks ago but I've been wrapped up in this challenge so despite ideas and temptations, have kept my hands off it. No rush, it's not due till May... but it'll get done way early if I use that for next month's sketchbook. It's only got 40 pages and they're smaller even if I do two page spreads and use both sides.

But next month writing a novel takes priority, so daily sketching on top of novel writing let alone filling a sketchbook will get trippy. I'll probably do at least some sketch illustrations of the book just to stay focused. If I manage both it'll be amazing. But even if I come close it'll still be cool.

Keeping up with all the threads is tough. My favorites drop to page 2 and I miss updates, getting sick for a couple of weeks didn't help at all. Now I'm down to commenting mostly on what bobs to the top, which isn't fair, though anyone who updates pushes theirs back up to the top. What it reminds me of is the WDE forum and WDE threads. I routinely have to go through two pages of WDE to really keep track of what's going on and comment on everything. Sometimes I do, sometimes I just comment on a few at random.

I guess we just have a great, popular, lively forum with lots of updates! That's pretty cool.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting