Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Alternative Watercolor metal palette

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    D-2-U

Hi everybody!

I know all of us here a big fan of those metal watercolor palettes such as the holbein palettes and craig young palettes. I know others settle for the plastic ones because of the price. Well I myself love those palettes and think that my college student allowance can’t buy me those and also art materials are very limited in my country so I need to have them shipped which would also add to the cost.

Well I had a crazy idea to maky my own but decided against it since I don’t have the tools to make one so I edited a picture of the holbein palette and designed it to my own preference then I gave it to my mom and she had it made at a tin shop (the tin shop makes metal countertops and metal water tanks) We then had it painted with black and white enamel. Total cost is 600 Philippine Peso which is exactly $14!!!

So I suggest to everybody out there who wants these kinds of palette to have one made at your local tin shop.

Here are some pics

:):):)

shipbroker

What a super palette..but I’m afraid we are rather short of tin shops in this part of the globe….so I will have to carry on with my assorted ready-meal trays!……but thanks for showing us what is a real bargain….

rgds
            geoff

" This is a wonderful day, I have never seen this one before" -Maya Angelou

They made a super job, wish we had a tin shop around here. I did think about making one from brass sheet which is available at the local toy stores.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

N Gonzalez

I think that Craig Young started this way…:thumbsup:

I have a little watercolor box made of a tin cigars’ box (like altoids)

but… What about recycling a dvd metal box? Somebody try it?

D-2-U

Well I suggest you have one made from someone who really knows how to deal with metal and stuff that way it would be pretty durable. My palette is very light to carry but pretty hard to bend so they did a pretty good job although you can see a lot of welding marks on the sides of the dividers, I realy didn’t mind them since after all it’s only for $14!! :):)

ingegerd

It looks like a very functional palette and since it is metal it should last a very long time even if it might need to be repainted at some stage.
                        I think it would be hard to find someone who would do something like that here and if there were I suspect I would have to pay a lot more.

cgonzaga

That’s a big one with large mixing wells, and a steal for that price. Maybe I could convince my cousin to have one made to my specs. Would it be galvanized metal sheets they used rather than tin? It’s been a long long time, but it use to be the metal of choice there.

D-2-U

I’m not so sure about what metal they used but mine is pretty hard that even if I put on a lot of pressure on it doesn’t bend at all and it is pretty light. Just ask your cousin to show you samples of the metal so that you can choose. :)

By the way the Dimensions are:

open: Length: 8 inches
                                width: 9 inches
                                height: 0.5 inch

close: length: 4 inches
                                width: 9 inches
                                height: 1 inch

subconjazz

Very cool, just goes to show you how we are being gouged every step of the way. Love the resourcefulness of the people in your country!

http://frankeber.wordpress.com

D-2-U

@subconjazz: Thank you very much :) Well I really love metal folding palettes so I’m pretty thankful that I thought about having one made because I think that it was the best decision I made so far :))

And if you guys have more questions about the palette feel free to ask thanks :)

Horsa

A very nice palette, and a great price!

I have been using white enameled butcher trays picked up second hand.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.