Home Forums The Town Center WC Site Technical Discussions Body Painting on a Canvas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RRW

I am interested in using paint on my body and applying it to a large canvas. I do not know much about paints..let alone art, but I would like to try this. I need to know what paints would not irritate the skin and would be easy to get off. Please let me know what you think.

This sounds a lot like a woman who I saw on tv who was painting using her … err.. mammaries…

My first instinct is to say – MAKE SURE it’s not involving mucous membranes. That can get dangerous.

However, since I can think of no mucous membranes that would be conveniently available to paint with

Many people say acrylics getting on your skin is bad for you. However, i use them as my primary medium and don’t have any problems if they get on my hands, arms, etc. They dry quickly, so there is little chance of them having a chance to soak into your skin. Because they’re the same type consistency as oil, they would transfer well. And because they’re water-soluble, they would come off your skin with soap and water, wet or dry.

If you’re doing the painting quickly (which you almost have to with acrylics) and won’t be getting this paint in any tender areas, I would recommend acrylic as a way to go.

However, think about how sensitive your skin is, and read up on all the potential risks of doing this with whatever medium you choose – BEFORE you do it.

Good luck, and I’d be interested in seeing what you do with it!

[This message has been edited by Electra (edited February 29, 2000).]

Electra
        ---
        Life is less about who you are, and more about who you choose to be.

Children often do this when finger painting etc. It is possible to use tempera or
        acrylics – but as Electra says, I would be
        careful of just what body parts you intend
        to use. There are special paints available
        for children, presumably safe, you might want to check them out in your local art supply store.
        I too would like to see your results !!
        Good luck

——————

It is not only the medium used to think about; you make also have an allergic reaction to the pigment itself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.