WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2000, 06:19 PM
Cafe Alumnus
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Smile How to Restore Oil Paintings

This message is being left in behalf of Greg. Can anyone help him?

Hello! My name is Greg. I am an artist of Murals (graphic to fine). Another artist friend of mine ask me a question about restoring an ol acrylic painging that was hanging in a famous restraurant (the Rotunda, now the Demicratic Club) in Washington D.C. How to restore a painting that has been dulled andf faded by a smokers room. 20 or so years ago this painting hung on the wall.
The canvas is very discolored, looks dirty.
How do I bring back the brillance of the oridginal painting? Or can you hook me up with someone who knows the answer to this questional. Scott from wetcanvas.com directed me to Cafe' Guerbois, and I found you.
My e-mail address is: tutaurus@ptd.net
thankyou, Greg...

I am going to tell Greg where he can find your answers. He is just learning how to navigate the WetCanvas site.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2000, 06:44 PM

Most likely, the painting is simply dirty. If it's acrylic on canvas (you're sure about that, right?), you can try simple soap and water. Dab at it lightly with a lint-free rag. Don't scrub, don't get it soaked, don't leave soap on it. And try the inconspicuous areas (say, behind the rabbet of the frame) first, just to be sure.

If it's not just simple surface grime, a more thorough cleaning would involve stripping the old varnish layer, and re-varnishing. You probably want to leave that job to a professional, especially if you're not sure whether or not the painting is varnished, or with what. To find a professional conservator, I'd suggest asking at museums and galleries in your area, or you might try

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/misc/people/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2000, 08:28 AM
Southern Shores, NC

Hails from United States
Phyllis..relate to Greg that I have had a similar problem to conquer for a friend and I second the above response from Drew..acrylic, being basically plastic, is tough and resilient, but should be treated with care. The soap should be amild liquid such as Ivory..no detergents should be used; I also use a soft varnish brush in a circular motion to apply the soap solution, it can get into crivices and texture that the rag sometimes can't. Finish cleaning with a couple applications of clean water. Drew is right about the varnish, there are of course, different solvents for different varnishes..he will have to identify the type to know how to remove it. I also would leave that to a conservator with great technology to complete. Good luck!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2000, 09:12 PM
Cafe Alumnus
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Smile

I don't know if you will remember me but this is greg, The guy who wanted the info for cleaning a dirty painting. I e-mailed my friend in Houston and she cleaned the acrylic painting just beautiful. I gave you guys all the credit. Thankyou llis, Drew Davies and Sandy.
Some day I will join your club. I am an artist in Pennsylvania. I do a lot of Murals of any subject I'm hired for. I would love to talk to all of you someday.
thankyou, Greg...

copy of Thankyou e note
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Unhappy Re: How to Restore Oil Paintings

Hi I am a new member. I am currently trying to help my grandmother restore 1 of her old oil paintings. She had given this painting to her son, and the painting had been lost. When my grandmother asked about this painting he had to go find it. This painting has been really damaged. The damage kinda looks like it has substained whether damage. My grandmother says that it was wind, water, and dust. The whole painting is covered in dust. The oil paints on the canvas have cracked, and it is showing some mold on the back. Is there anything I can do to save this painting. It really means a lot to her, and I want to help her with this situation.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: How to Restore Oil Paintings

It might be fixable. It might not. You need to find a professional restorer and show the painting to him/her.

Mark