Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone W&N Deepest Black

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Vincent40

I know you can mix your own black, but sometimes I like to have black in my box.

W&N have several blacks, I was wondering what might be the deepest black of them all?

Payne’s Grey
        Ivory Black
        Neutral Tint
        Lamp Black
        Mars Black

JPQ

there is their colourchart:
            http://www.winsornewton.com/products.aspx?PageID=160&path=products%2fwater-colours%2fartists-water-colour%2fcolour-chart%2f
            i think if you mean strong black mars black is correct.
            ps. Payne’s Grey and Neutral Tint are greys not blacks. at least paynes grey other brands are very dark grey not black at all.

RogerPf

Ivory Back is normally the “most chosen” of the W&N blacks. I don’t notice any difference when the paints are dense. The difference comes when they dilute. The Ivory back (from all manufactuers) is chosen for its interstering granulation when diluted.

The other day I did a WDE quickie (all W&N paints) https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711291&highlight=giant the blacks on the bird are all from a mixtures (red/green) where as the blacks and greys on the vintage car are all W&N Ivory back.

Roger - Painting Blog etc -> RogerPf.com

ReggieS

According to the appearance of their color charts it is Mars Black.

Reggie

Life is short so savor every moment!

Mayberry

Excerpts from Dick Blick’s website:

“Mars Black is an opaque black with a strong and cool masstone, a slightly warm tint, and a warm brown undertone. It is not as black as Ivory Black, but it dries more quickly and has three times the tinting strength.”

“Ivory Black is a cool, semi-transparent blue-black with a slight brownish undertone and average tinting strength. It mixes well with any color, and creates a range of dull greens when mixed with yellow.”

“Lamp black is a very opaque, heavily staining black pigment that does not have much covering power. It is typically the most opaque black in watercolor form.”

Winsor & Newton’s Neutral Tint is made from Lamp Black, Phthalo Blue and Quinacridone Violet. The phthalo blue strongly increases the tinting strength of the mixture, while the quin violet balances out the color.

W&N Payne’s Gray is made from the same three pigments as their Neutral Tint, but is weighted on the phthalo blue side to give it the traditional blue-gray color.

Mayberry

And here is what the Handprint website has to say about Winsor and Newton’s Perylene Green (PBk31, also known as Perylene Black and Shadow Green):

“In concentrated form the paint produces a very dark near neutral hue, almost indistinguishable from a true black, with a relatively small drying shift; mixed with an unadulterated dioxazine violet, quinacridone violet or perylene violet (PV29) it creates a darker and more stable black than most carbon based paints. (Note that additives used to adulterate these expensive pigments or adjust the vehicle may cause an unexpected whitening of the dried color. If you don’t get a deep black, try another brand of paints.) In tints it creates a dull, light valued sap green or hooker’s green, often ideal for distant landscape foliage. It is very effective for darkening all foliage greens and as a shadow color for botanicals and landscapes, but also (in very dilute glazes) as a shadow tint for portraits and figure paintings; excellent for desaturating and darkening warm paints, and for mixing dull, dark greens with yellow, green or blue paints.”

Perylene Black is on my wish list for new paints to try.

PierceClark

Cathy,

I sure do appreciate your posting what Handprint had to say. Thanks.

But……Oops!
                                There’s that fugitive Dioxazine Violet in there……….I guess I wouldn’t use it just because of that.

But, what that description says about “stable” is confusing, esp. with that phrase: “unexpected whitening.”

I guess I’ll stick to mixing my own “black.”

Vincent40

I know you can mix your own black, but sometimes I like to have black in my box.

W&N have several blacks, I was wondering what might be the deepest black of them all?

Payne’s Grey
                                    Ivory Black
                                    Neutral Tint
                                    Lamp Black
                                    Mars Black

So Neutral tint, and Payn’s Grey will fall of as I like one pigment color’s, I can mix by myselve.:)

Gess I am going to try these and I am greatfull for the explanation, and help from you all.

“Mars Black is an opaque black with a strong and cool masstone, a slightly warm tint, and a warm brown undertone. It is not as black as Ivory Black, but it dries more quickly and has three times the tinting strength.”

“Ivory Black is a cool, semi-transparent blue-black with a slight brownish undertone and average tinting strength. It mixes well with any color, and creates a range of dull greens when mixed with yellow.”
                                    The Ivory back (from all manufactuers) is chosen for its interstering granulation when diluted.

“Lamp black is a very opaque, heavily staining black pigment that does not have much covering power. It is typically the most opaque black in watercolor form.”

I have Ivory Black, but also looking forward to use Mars Black as it sounds good too, fast drying, warm tint.

noge

Du brauchst überhaupt kein Schwarz – der selbe Effekt ist auch mit Complimentärfarben zu erreichen
                                        Schwarz ist eine tote farbe
                                        If you use compimentarie colors – you dont need black :D
                                        Black is a dead colour :evil:

Vincent40

Vielen dank!
                                            This weekend I look carefully at the darks and believe me shadow’s are close to black in a sunny day.

I have the feeling that ‘don’t use black’ comes from oil painting. I you realy want your darks in watercolour, it helps more to get them in one wash as dark as possible, ofcourse with the undertone that is on that day, cold or warm.

Don’t forget watercolour dries up much lighter than it apears when your working outside.

Mayberry

Donna, wait! Perylene Black doesn’t have any diox violet in it. The Handprint site means that if you want, you can mix Perylene Black with diox violet or quin violet to get more of a black black, because by itself, Perylene Black is a bit green. I know, it sounds kind of misleading the way it’s worded. But the W&N paint “Perylene Green” contains only PBk31, which has excellent lightfastness.

Neeman

What do you want from black?
                                                    As a mixer, or an opaque cover
                                                    What color black do you want?
                                                    Lamp Black is cold and mixes with yellow to make a wonderful olive green
                                                    Ivory Black is warmer
                                                    The old Blue Black was wonderful powerful, very fine and I use for monochromes (have four 15ml tubes)
                                                    Paynes Grey is actually a very dark blue, great for dark greens
                                                    Never used Mars Black

Vincent40

On a bright day the shadows are very dark green between the leaves, almost black, if I compare with a dry piece of paper it does not even come close.

What do you want from black?
                                                        As a mixer, or an opaque cover
                                                        What color black do you want?
                                                        Lamp Black is cold and mixes with yellow to make a wonderful olive green
                                                        Ivory Black is warmer
                                                        The old Blue Black was wonderful powerful, very fine and I use for monochromes (have four 15ml tubes)
                                                        Paynes Grey is actually a very dark blue, great for dark greens
                                                        Never used Mars Black

PierceClark

LOL, I’ve been “staying away” from blacks for about 30 years!
                                                            Sounds like I should have some fun with blacks!!
                                                            Oh! I love growth, and the freedom to experiment!
                                                            Thanks again WC!

PierceClark

Cathy,

That’s what I get for reading much too quickly! Thank you for pointing that out to me.

When I looked at the WN color chart link from Roger, I did not see a Perylene Black. I did see a Perylene Green on the chart.

I do love “mixing” to get blacks (complements, etc) as the mix is so colorful, but that car (as opposed to the bird) was so subtle and gorgeous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.