WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Viv's Watermedia Sketchbook

Yes, I've begun another Journal. I find I'm using lots of waterbased media; watercolor, Inktense pencils, Neocolor II, watercolor pencils etc. So I wanted something with a heavier paper which would take these, without buckling.
After doing lots of research, I've discovered there's not a lot of this type of Journal for sale in New Zealand, (but plenty of sketchbook/journals with thinner paper). I've found a few Art shops which sell Moleskin Journals but they are very expensive. So when I saw this Langton sketchbook, I bought it at once. Its 9in x 12in, and heavy watercolor paper.

The first page was done for the "Scavenger Hunt" and is a still-life "dried arrangement" that I have in my lounge. I used Inktense Pencils and Pitt Artists pens.

C & Cs welcome

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Viv's Watermedia Sketchbook

Vivien, I love that dried arrangement. That is a spectacular still life. Such beautiful, delicate details in such a perfect balance. Are the little yellow flowers washed before you added the details? They're so striking in their intensity, the brightest element in the scene.

Gorgeous book! I've read about the Langton paper, it's really good, I just haven't tried it yet. Heavier paper is a great joy for those mediums. Even the Moleskine watercolor journals don't have 140lb paper, so you've got something special there - enjoy it!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Great still life. With the 300gms, can you use both sides of the paper?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Debby and Robert - Thank you both for your comments. Yes I'm enjoying using this Langton sketchbook and as the watercolor paper is so thick, I will use both sides. It only has 12 sheets so I guess I'd be finished it in rapid time if I didn't use both sides.

The paper has a lovely feel to it and (surprisingly) the ink went on really smoothly as well. I spotted it for half price at our Art Shop sale. It had been $30.00 NZ, and was selling at $15.00, so I was delighted to see it. I think I'll go back and see if they have anymore before they sell out completely! Not any demand for them here apparently! At that price I could buy lots!

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi Viv ,

Great to see another of your sketchbooks here, and your first page is excellent! I'm still searching for the 'perfect' watercolor sketchbook as well. I've tried (and still use) Arches, Moleskine and Aquabee but they all have tradeoffs. The Arches paper is a little too heavy for a sketchbook, the Aquabee is ok but doesn't take watercolor as well as I would like, and the Moleskine works well but I'm not a fan of the aspect ratio of their watercolor notebooks. Or maybe this is all rationalization for continuing to buy and try different sketchbooks... !

I'll be checking in on this one regularly.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Viv, that makes sense! Stock up while they're still half price. Very cool to be able to use both sides of the page - you're right about that, with 140lb paper that's very easy. I do it on my Moleskine ones too but that paper's only about 100lb, not as heavy, so it occasionally cockles.

John, it makes sense to try and buy different sketchbooks. Each one has its own character and they always lead to new discoveries for me. Though when I rotate which ones I'm using, dating what I'm doing as an aggregate seems a bit trickier.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Viv great new sketchbook. Good to see you got a bargain that worked out for you. I hope you can get a few more to use too. I really like that still life set up. Great contrasts in the textures. Your shading is very well done.