WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Digital Manipulation Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2002, 05:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States
sketch and tinting comparisons

Here is a pencil/charcoal sketch I made from a photo. I think the rough textures in the stone work and rusted gears make for a good sketch subject.

Here is a "hand tinted" version that took a while... making separate layers for each of the various tints and shades I worked with...

Here is a Photoshop gradient version of the black and white which I did after I did the hand tint one above. This one took about 6 clicks of the mouse. Hardly made the hand tint process worth it in this case.

Ron

Sony RX100, Canon G12, Nikon D5100, D70s, P5000 (IR converted), CP4500, CP950, Minolta A2 - post-processing RAW in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 using NIK, Topaz, on One and DxO Labs software
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast
Near my coffee!

Hails from United States
Doesn't that just drive you nuts? Work like mad on something then you try to replicate it with software and in 15 min or less you do! Love all 3 by the way!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2002, 07:21 PM
A Local Legend
Charleston South Carolina

Hails from United States
All three are really lovely! I've just discovered digital manip and hadn't thought of trying it on a scanned drawing. I like working in pencil/charcoal and think that they were a great choice for this one, even without seeing the unretouched photo from which it came. Great job! You've inspired me to try a new direction. Thanks! I learn so much from my fellow WCers!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2002, 10:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: sketch and tinting comparisons

Quote:
Originally posted by RAE99
Here is a pencil/charcoal sketch I made from a photo. I think the rough textures in the stone work and rusted gears make for a good sketch subject.

Here is a "hand tinted" version that took a while... making separate layers for each of the various tints and shades I worked with...

Here is a Photoshop gradient version of the black and white which I did after I did the hand tint one above. This one took about 6 clicks of the mouse. Hardly made the hand tint process worth it in this case.

Ron

OMG. I love this. Excellent textures.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2002, 04:13 PM
A Local Legend
Cornwall

Hails from England
I'm assuming the original ie #1 was drawn and then scanned into the computer. In which case a well deserved accolade.

However, in comparing the two computer generated tints I definitely prefer the hand tinted version. The colouring looks far more natural and therefore far more pleasing.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2002, 04:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States
Bobby,

The first one was simply an original photo made into a digital drawing in Photoshop using layers, filters and PS tools. No real art media was used.

Ron

Sony RX100, Canon G12, Nikon D5100, D70s, P5000 (IR converted), CP4500, CP950, Minolta A2 - post-processing RAW in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 using NIK, Topaz, on One and DxO Labs software
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2002, 07:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Muscoda, Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Ron...THIS is the texture I was trying to explain in the barn thread. However, now that I look at it again, it may well be the *added* texture on the overall appearance of the piece that was impressing itself on my mind, rather than the brush used.

I don't think that the two tinted versions could possibly be interchanged. The hand tinted one is most definitely worth the time it took to produce. (Of course, had I not *seen* the hand tinted one, the the PS applied version would be gorgeous. ) I think I just figured out what my *personal* problem is with the gradient coloring. It's TOO predictable! AND it reminds me of those sheets of plastic we used to rub on the T.V. Screens *before* color television. (They looked great on the outdoor scenes of Gunsmoke...but made a kitchen scene look strange! )

Oh, now that I have THAT little factoid straightened out in my head...I can better enjoy the gradients.

Ron, this is a fabulous manipulation...and I surely do appreciate you sharing BOTH tinted versions with the forum.

QUESTION!! Could those gradients be applied on a separate layer and then re-touched...deepened in some areas, removed or lightened in others? Or possibly smudged or pushed so that they don't created a "predictable" demarcation over the entire image?

Even though we live in an enormous world, for me, it's the little things that mean the most…things like love, friendship, living the Golden Rule, and being able to be myself.
- A. Thorn