WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM
New England

Hails from United States
colored pencil landscapes

has anyone here ever tried to paint a landscape in colored pencil? I've tried a few times but have never been able to conquer the techniques? needed to make a scene look realistic. Would different elements of the landscape ( skies, trees, grasses etc) need different pencil strokes or different handling methods to achieve a realistic look? Any help or discussion would be very much appreciated. Thx everyone.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 PM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: colored pencil landscapes

Welcome to the forum, Pezk! I have done a few landscapes, though my style is more 'painterly' than realistic. (The landscape in my banner, below, is CP.) But the answer to your question is, yes, the different elements of the landscape will likely need to be handled differently to achieve their individual characteristics. Check our CP Library (link in my sig line). Scroll down to 'Subjects'. Keep scrolling until you get to the 'Great Outdoors' category. There are quite a few examples of landscapes there, with quite a number of methods used. You will likely find something there that will be useful for you.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
New England

Hails from United States

thx ocmd123 for the welcome and the reference. I will definitely browse through those postings in the library. Sky, grass, water I can understand somewhat, but trees are the real stumbling block, more so than the rest. Trees look so complex esp the leaves even in mass effect. It's all a puzzle.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 PM
PA

Hails from United States

One way to approach it is by using that mass effect. Look for the dark, light and mid values. If you try to think about individual leaves you'll go crazy.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 AM
WC! Guide
Bakersfield,California

Hails from United States

Just google landscapes in colored pencil and take a look at some of the different artist's work. Check out Leslie Hawes blog (http://lesliesblogger.blogspot.com/). She works a lot of landscapes in cps.

It just takes a lot of practice and trying different things until you find one that is right for you. Here are two of mine.

Last edited by TessDB : 08-24-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: adding link
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

This is a really nicely done landscape in cp that features lots of trees:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588297

If you'd like to post what you're working on, we can offer more specific suggestions. Right now we're just throwing general ideas & ways to approach things at you.

Good luck.
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States

Thank you Rosemary for suggesting my piece.

I'm fairly new to landscapes in colored pencil, having spent most of the time previous on portraits. For the distant foliage in the Creamery Bridge picture I used a stippling technique, very much like in pen & ink. The illusion is surprisingly photorealistic.

Thought I'd offer my first landscape to see an earlier approach to landscapes:

Here's the link to the Work In Progress:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444485

Hope you find the link helpful and hope to see you post your progress pics soon.

Rob
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Camdenton, Mo

Hails from United States

Wow, I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSewell
Thank you Rosemary for suggesting my piece.

I'm fairly new to landscapes in colored pencil, having spent most of the time previous on portraits. For the distant foliage in the Creamery Bridge picture I used a stippling technique, very much like in pen & ink. The illusion is surprisingly photorealistic.

Thought I'd offer my first landscape to see an earlier approach to landscapes:

Here's the link to the Work In Progress:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444485

Hope you find the link helpful and hope to see you post your progress pics soon.

Rob
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Strongsville, Ohio

Hails from United States

Hi Pezk,
I have done a few landscapes. I don't use any different technique on the various elements, sky, water, trees, etc. It all depends on what your style is and how you go about. The biggest think as with all colored pencil work is to use layers to get a richer more finished look. This is one of my landscape pieces.
gbritnell
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

HiEveryone, I have been around for a while, but this is my first post. I am in awe at all of you talented people. I dabble in pencil and colored pencil, but I am a little inti midated by the magnificent work and ideas you all post. One day I will post one of my works. Until then I am enjoying and learning a great deal.
Ginny

Last edited by anigla : 08-25-2010 at 11:09 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
New England

Hails from United States

hi "J" - love the hills and barn. I've always wanted to paint barns and the landscape. Reminds me of vacations in Vermont.
RWSewell - thanks for letting me view an earlier approach to trees and the thread in which you develop the painting. the bridge was fantastic. Stippling is how you did the trees in the bridge? Wow!
gbritnell - I think you've done more than a few landscapes. It's beautiful. How long did it take you to paint it? And the water is unbelieveable. So realistic. How many layers did you use? Did you burnish between each layer?
I'm looking through my photos to find a very very simple landscape to start experimenting. I can see this is going to take lots of trial and error.
Thx everyone for the hints and suggestions to help me get started.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
LaCrosse, WI

Hails from United States

Most of my work in colored pencil is landscapes. I consider composition with a good light/dark pattern and color control more important than just rendering techniques. So just get out there and do it!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Strongsville, Ohio

Hails from United States

Hi Pezk,
I have done a lot of colored pencil work but honestly not a lot of landscapes.
From start to finish, layout, transferring to Stonehenge and coloring took about 35 hours. I don't burnish between layers. By adding multiple layers you are in effect burnishing. I don't burnish much of my work, sometimes when I'm doing cars I burnish for a smoother effect. As far as the number of layers it depends on the finished color I want to achieve. Some colors only take a couple of layers while others can take 4-6 layers.
gbritnell