WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Art Journal #1- Everyday Crap Seen Around

I noticed this forum sometime ago and sometimes I lurk around just to see what's up with people's pages. Well, I just decided to join in. I just started on this journal, which is just some cheap $2 sketchpad I bought from Big Lots a couple years ago. They also had it wrapped in plastic, so I couldn't see what the paper was like until I got home. Too good to be true for $2 and I was right. Oh well. It's a sketchpad. The graphite also tends to wipe off pretty easily on this paper. I am using an HB or lower for this type of paper. (The HB still wipes off easily, too).

So, I am going to be using this pad to sketch everyday crap I see around (teddy bears, lamps, cats, my reflection, and so fourth). So, this is basically a "journal" dedicated to drawing from life.

9x12" sketchpad paper distributed by the Big Lots Stores, Inc. It's not a named brand pad. I am also only using graphite just because this paper is not suitable for things like watercolors, and such.

I'm also kinda bummed that the images are still missing on some threads. Oh well. It'll get fixed as soon as possible hopefully.

Well, here it is. The first few pages form yesterday and I will post more later when I do more sketches.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I have the butt icon used for the thread, it's because usually when I sketch out figures, I like to sketch myself in the nude most of the time. You'll be seeing some of those.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Art Journal #1- Everyday Crap Seen Around

Welcome to the Art Journal forum. Looks like you're well on your way. I've seen some of your drawings posted in D&S, nice stuff, can't wait to see more.

David
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to post some work.

I like your sketches from life, the desk lamp particularly has a nice feel about it, and your cat sketches capture the fleeting moment really well!

Sometimes cheap paper can be very liberating - I often do some good stuff on crap paper because I am more relaxed and surprise myself with what comes out Get the good paper out and it all goes away...... lol!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum, Crystal! I like your sketches, and I agree with Jackie about cheap paper and the willingness to open up and experiment.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Thank you all for the warm welcome and compliments!

Yeah, the paper isn't bad for sketching. I don't mind it. I just won't really do full-finished drawings that I want for archival purposes. I just need to be careful with wiping anything on it.

Welp, today I did 6 pages in the journal. I'm sketching like crazy! Well, crazy for my usual. I'm too lazy to do anything these days.

Anyway, it's just more warming up sketches. I should do more that aren't as sloppy as soon as I am done just scribbling like the past 9 pages.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Crystal, glad you came out of lurking and joined us. You have some nice practice going on here. Your cat studies are great. Do you have an aquarium that you drew the fish from?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Crystal great to see you joining in the fun. You have been busy. Hopefully having a "lesser" quality sketchbook is freeing you up to just play a bit. You seem to be enjoying yourself. Really like your cat, fish and hand sketches. Good work on the everyday items. I try and join the scavenger hunt to help inspire me to do just that type of thing.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Hi, Crystal. Hey, sketching is sketching no matter what the paper. I like your figure sketches...well proportioned and I thought you captured the gestures. I haven't been brave enough to try any figure or portraits yet.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Crystal, your sketches are great. I love the way you've been able to get such good depth and three dimensional accuracy on so many objects. The fish are beautiful, like the way you have them at different angles. Your cat studies are so much fun, and figure drawings look good. All of them show good observation and a lot of skill. Keep going! Thanks for joining in!

One thing that could help on cheap paper - have you tried any pen sketching with normal cheap writing pens? I started getting into that recently and was surprised at how expressive an ordinary ball point that I got free from a clinic was at getting down good sketches. Looking at your pencil style, I think you could use them well. It just means shading by hatching or stippling or scribbling instead of by less pressure.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Thank you everyone for all the nice compliments, yo! I appreciate it very much.

Debby, to answer your question, yes they are fish from my mom's fish tank. They were a bit easy to capture quickly than the cat that's for sure. They're sick though (well, our old evil cichlid is getting better and my mom's friendly favorite Oscar is dying. Apparently, our oscar has self-awareness, too.)

Jacqui, I have thought about the scavenger hunts I've seen around somewhere in the forums for quite a while now and been checking others works out.

Herb, maybe you should try the portraits and figures. There's a lot of things I ain't brave with either on drawing, but eventually I come out to at least sketch them. I suggest you try out the portraits and figures sometime. It's actually quite fun. Find some art association or somethign as well. Or either that, use a mirror like I do to sketch yourself (though, having a model is much better in my opinion).

Robert, my little brother has drawn on this paper with pen a couple years back (he's 6 years old now). I've used pen at times for sketches, and I have to agree with you on how much expressiveness and such you can get out of the plain cheap pen. I just haven't been much of a pen person, however it would probably be a good use instead of graphite that can easily smear on this paper. As for stippling... Don't remind me the horrors of stippling. Yet, since you mentioned all these techniques, I guess I should include these in my future exercises and all into this sketchpad (I will be doing some work a little more time consuming later on into this "journal" of mine. It's all good warming up.).

Again, thank you all for the comments!

Now, I did some of these for the day. I started really early morning for the first page before going to bed (I don't sleep early enough). And as for the last page on the bottom, there is now the reason for the booty icon. Wait for some more elaborate sketches of myself. This time, I'll add a face to them instead of being headless or faceless like other sketches I've done of myself... If I don't get so lazy that is.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
North Wales UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Crystal - I'm impressed with your random quick sketches. You manage to get proportions and shapes right without any alterations and reworking. I think these cheapo sketchpads are so great for getting this kind of drawing down - just drawing and more drawing, anything and everything. I've a lot to learn from this example.
I love your clothes free sketching poses! I couldn't sketch in those positions clothes or no clothes. Perhaps having no clothes on helps! Something else to try...
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Jones County, NC

Hails from United States

Crystal, your sketches are inspiring and very well done! And... you reminded me that I have the exact same paper from Big Lots stashed under my bed - good price, couldn't resist, bought a bunch of them. I didn't think of using them for journaling - how perfect an idea! Love the animal sketches especially - you are capturing their essence - sorry about your doggie - it's hard to lose them - what a sweet memorial though. Look forward to seeing more of your sketches!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Sorry your fish aren't feeling well. More great sketches. It's great that you really do just sketch anything.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Crystal, great figure sketches. All of the poses are so natural and well proportioned, those are excellent. The studies of random objects are good too, I like the way your perspective and proportions are so true and shading excellent. Great that you finally fulfilled the booty icon you'd put on this thread. Keep going with both the random objects and figure drawing, they're fantastic.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Thanks you guys!

Ack, I been lazy the past couple days. I should be posting day 4, 5, and 6 of the sketches tonight. I skipped the 26th of this month and just drew Meg White. Well, I got some more to submit and as I said, it's gonna be up tonight. A few days ago, I didn't scan because I was preoccupied with Dragonball Z Abridged on Youtube (It's guys making a parody on the cartoon. I wish they were the actual episodes of DBZ ).

Christina, self-modeling isn't too much really, unless you're doing some poses that require you to struggle a bit with a pose and drawing at the same time (which I did last night actually). When you have no model, but you have a mirror and you're in the mood for a little bit of figure drawing, you can try that out, with or without clothes.

Debby, my mom found her Oscar died this morning and was decomposing quick. The big blue meanie cichild is living well though (Evil things tend to live longer lol). Poor fish.

Yeah, I'm glad to fulfill the booty icon, Robert. I also did my recent sketches in pen, too. Tried to do it in red. Yet, the ink ran out real quick on one figure sketch.

And these next figures... Oh, I totally messed up proportionally and struggled a lot. But whatever. They're suppose to be quick sketches anyway.

As again, thanks a bunch ya'll! I look forward to posting up more!