WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England
Re: The Spotlight -- June 2010 "Go Green"

Charlie, thanks for putting the time into looking this over. I must admit I missed the shadow on the leg/foot. That's easily remidied. There is also a definite shadow on the left hand side which I have lost and will try to get back. Looking at the real thing again today I noticed that I had a darker area of feathers which looked as if it should be the centre of the breast but isn't, if you know what I mean and that threw the whole pose off for me. I'll do that too. I've already darkened the eye. What I didn't like about this was the experience of doing it where i got so dissatisfied because I wanted to do it loose and I can't! As a result I was comparing it negatively with the photo and finding it wanting. Who says a painting must be an exact copy of a photo anyway? I'll work on it again Friday but no more faffing!
Mary, Thank you!
Arby, glad you remembered the underpainting. Many of us can learn from studying this stage of a piece.
Sonya, thank you! I will also be removing the seed. Shouldn't ever have put it in really!
Now, which one shall I do next?

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Robin, thank you for adding the underpainting! It shows a lot of good things, and the one I want to point at is the excellent simplifying of the scene. Highlights are treated as a detail, and not included in the underpainting.

Charlie

Edit: attachments don't show up when quoting a post, so please see post number 28 for the underpainting and painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbySD
D'oh! I knew there was something I forgot - the underpainting. It's an alcohol wash over turquoise, purple, red-brown and yellow pastel.

Attachment 484423 Attachment 484424

Thank you all for your comments - Don, Ruthie, Mary, and Charlie.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

LOVE the bird Ruthie, you are too hard on yourself (as aren't we all). Beautiful limes Robin! Just bright and glowing and everything I love about pastel. And green!!

can't wait to get home and get back to my moist green guy on a leaf. Can I do him justice? Ahhhhhh!
Chuas
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ruthie, see? Charlie agreed with me -- that head is perfect! The painting is wonderful.

Robin, thank you for posting your underpainting for those breathtaking limes. They are gorgeous! I love the harmony and the brilliant colors pop so well. Seeing the underpainting helped me to understand why, it's an elegant underpainting. I've got alcohol for that technique, I should probably get out some white good sanded paper and try it instead of just picking a Colourfix color.

Wow. Between you and Ruthie, the bar has been set very high for this Spotlight. I don't think I could get away with just a quick Color Conte sketch even if I wanted to, though I might do some anyway just to be able to play with all the references.

I'm looking out my window at some fantastic greens right now. All the trees have leafed out and the white garden shed being used as a dog house is a pale green reflecting the grass and trees again. In the distance, some sunlit trees across the street beyond the pizza place are very light sunny yellow-green with shadowed deeper greens in front of them from the trees at the end of the yard.

Sunlit highlights are exactly the same value of yellow-green, but the difference is one of intensity. The distant one is bluer but only faintly, what it is more than that is less intense. The nearer sunny highlights would have to shade up with pure tone lemon yellow while the far ones would shade up with a yellow-green tint matching the value and not the hue.

Just wanted to share that observation during the jolly month of greens!

So eyeballing those two clumps of trees, I did some swatches trying to match them. There's a lot more variations in both, when I'm painting I'll definitely have some orange and even russet in some of the near trees as well as violet here and there and so on. But these are the actual greens in some basic areas. Just goofing around in Gimp because my back hurts and I'm not up to getting out my pastels and sanded paper today. The light's beautiful and it's 4:45pm -- way too early for Golden Hour, sun doesn't set till 8pm. But it's afternoon light, not noon light.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Red face Re: The Spotlight -- June 2010 "Go Green"

Ruthie: Really great on the parrot! Love the subtle softness of the feathering textures- nice!
Robin: Great on the limes great color variations and contrast.
I decided to do the tree frog first, the under painting pastels only were dark purples, blues and browns only layered to different color variations on top, on pastelmat 7" x 9".
I've done this with colored pencil, but pastels whew, a bit tougher. First time I've done an an animal with pastel. Done with various soft and semi-hard pastels.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Great job on the frog Tammy! I really like the colors you ended up with, and he stands out nicely. I also took a stab at the frog, but had a hard time getting him to stand out like he does in the photo. Also he is rather bumpy, but he looks almost furry in mine
On La Carte, mostly Mt. Vision and Terry Ludwig pastels.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Enthusiast
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Charlie, what a great lesson! I think I am inspired!

My palette with pastels is very limited, but I will do what I can.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Enthusiast
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Great work from everyone! WOW!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Thanks for hosting, Charlie. You did a fantastic demo and the lesson is great. All those greens don't seem as intimidating any more. I started my first painting today and should have it done in the next day or two.

Ruthie- The bird looks beautiful. It pops nicely against the blurred cool background. Well done.

Robin- Great job on the limes. I love all the colours in the shadow part of the limes. The colour of the plate came out nicely too.

Tammy- Good job on the frog. The warm greens in the frog make him stand out from the cool green leaf. Way to go.

Chuas- He doesn't look furry to me. He looks right at place sitting on the leaf. I think you did a good job on this.

Doug
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Robert, what interesting observations of the landscape greens. I have a major problem with making greens recede and others come forward in landscape, tho' I know the principles involved. I think I must choose my greens carefully by doing a similar analysis in future.

Tammy, great frog! You've used colour hues and tones very well. May be more difficult in pastel but it doesn't take as long as cp does it.

Chuas, great frog! I love the highlights on him and he does really pop out from the bg. Doesn't look furry to me. You are, I believe, as bad as me in the self crit stakes!

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Interesting observations, Robert. From left, number one and two (top) look like a yellower version (near) and a bluer (far). Makes total sense. Same with the two ones on the right, top and bottom, but isn't there a slight red/orange component in the near midtone? (On my screen.). The greatest difference in values is in the bottom two from left, that is, in the shadows.

Part of the surprise is that the shifts are so small, and in reality, when we paint we often need to exaggerate them, as a 2-D picture can't give the brain the sensation of depth by how the eyes focus like they do in 3-D space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
. But it's afternoon light, not noon light.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Tammy, lovely frog! Great first pastel animal! The differences in the greens, between frog (yellower) and leaf -- and the shifts in value (frog lighter) -- they really make the frog 'pop' beautifully. I can clearly see a purple under the background deep green, that both shimmers beautifully, and tones down the green making it clearly in the background.

Chuas, beautiful frog, very good three dimensionality, partly achieved by putting most of the yellowy greens closest to us. Oh, He stands out beautifully. No fur on that handsome frog! (Fur?.... where did you get that idea....? ) Very wise choice to not try to paint all the tiny bumps on his skin, those bumps are for photographers to delight in, while artists paint the essence of Frog.

:-) I think we should have a challenge in the future to make the most imperfect horrible stinker of a painting, the worst wins, then us hard self-critics would have a *real* challenge! (Joke, just a joke! I'm too one of my worst crits.)

Maria, this should work well with a limited palette!

Charlie

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Everyone's work is so wonderful. Great Job all!! Looking forward to seeing more works. james
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
SC

Hails from United States

Thanks for a leg up on a show. I live in Greenwood, SC, and our art guild has a show called "Going Green in Greenwood." So many great ideas, and to think I was dreading the process! BTW, I love the parrot/budgie/parakeet bird in pastel. It catches the pert energy of the subject, and I think the greens are great.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
Interesting observations, Robert. From left, number one and two (top) look like a yellower version (near) and a bluer (far). Makes total sense. Same with the two ones on the right, top and bottom, but isn't there a slight red/orange component in the near midtone? (On my screen.). The greatest difference in values is in the bottom two from left, that is, in the shadows.

Wow, great info, this may be a good thread to archive. I may attempt the rose next, which I think may be the hardest with its odd red/green tones.

Thanks to all for the kind words about His Greenness. My first amphibian (is that what they are?). I sort of like his nubbly surface, but you're right Charlie, it would have been too much to illustrate these.