WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: The Spotlight -- June 2010 "Go Green"

Ruth, This is wonderful! Not sure why you're not happy with it! The greens are marvelous and the handling of the focus is superb! Gee, I'm running out of adjectives!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:45 PM
LAWSONVILLE, nc

Hails from United States
Smile Re: The Spotlight -- June 2010 "Go Green"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie57
Oh and should I get rid of the nut in his mouth? Hubby says I should.

I agree with your hubby. It's an indeterminate hot spot that just detracts from the picture. My first thought was, "What is that white thingy behind the bird's beak?"

Try covering it with your finger, or a green piece of paper, and see what happens.

--Rich

Oh, yeah, my friends have an Amazon Green, and I'm waiting for the bird in the picture to start bobbing up and down! Very realistic!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Ruthie, he (she?) is gorgeous, what a great start to the Spotlight! I think the photo caught the bird doing a 'dance' on the branch, just as he's shifting from stepping right to start to step left, so he's not nicely symmetrically 'ovoid-shaped' as they are in when in rest, and you caught him wonderfully! What's not to be happy about? Still, you aren't, and I may have an idea, something to suggest, a wee bit more 'faffing'. Need to double check, though, and I just came home late from a day out of town, so tomorrow. Robert has a great thought. Very good you tried some of the patches, and the demo too. Hm, as I'm this months's host, I decide arbitrarily that it would be great if you post those too, if you want to, of course.

And, to you all, it is usually entirely enough to remember the general colour needed to push or pull a green, only five of them. The primaries (red, yellow, blue), and the secondaries -- the 'inbetweens' (orange, purple, and then green itself is also an 'inbetween'). If you know what those five do to green, it is then easy to fine-tune it. "This green needs yellow, but not the lemon yellow, a more roadsign yellow, but not that much of an orange yellow." And you pick the nice perfect 'crayola yellow'.

Deborah had a wonderful post a little while back on how to paint greens without green sticks. If anyone has the link, do post it. The principle is similar, biggest difference is that Deborah's challenge was a bit tougher. That thread is full of good advice!

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Charlie, what a great presentation of the possibilities using green. I'm adding this to my favorites, if only for the animation loop showing the combination of colors to influence green! Excellent presentation. I'll probably refer folks to your first post for the information there. Thanks!!

I hope everyone has a lot of fun playing with greens.

Deborah
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

am i the only person on the planet who doesn't know what faffing refers to?
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia

Ruthie I love your bird and the greens glow so much!
greens make me run screaming back to my graphite pencil - black and white for me. It's because I'm so bad at greens that I am actually grateful and a little excited by this months spotlight-light. Thanks so much Charlie for the challenge and the work you have done. going to give it a try after doing the exercises. huni
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 PM
South Dakota

Hails from United States

Chuas, I don't know what faffing is either.

Ruthie, that bird looks like he could start bobbing from side to side. You set the bar pretty high.

Charlie, thanks for all of your hard work. I had no idea that green was frowned upon in Ruben's time. I love learning all of those history tidbits.

Here's the limes -

Attachment 484398

7 1/4 x 9 1/4 on watercolor paper coated with Golden pastel ground. Rembrandts, Grumbacher, Conte, Sennelier.

C&C appreciated.

Robin
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia

chuas, lol, just saw your post after I posted. It's a really old word old germanic I think, means to fiddle and muck around. So in the context Charlie may have meant to fiddle a bit more but no serious work needed. maybe, maybe not. h
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Robin, your limes are fantastic! I'm green with envy!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Robert, Thank you! You warm my heart. You put so much into analysis of paintings to help people out. I'm very grateful for your time and your pep talk! I would not have destroyed this. I've never destroyed a painting except the odd sketch. I will go back and tweak the wings and a few other things but I will not faff!

Don, thank you! I think my feelings about a painting are coloured very much by the experience of painting it and, as I'd only just finished it, I was still influenced by the frustration of not achieving what I wanted. I then become hyper critical. OK it's not so bad in the cold light of day!

Thanks Rich, the nut's history! Nice to know it's an Amazon Green.

Charlie, I'll await your further input before tweaking. Thanks for your comments.

Chuas, Huni has it on the nail, that's what I do when I'm not happy with a piece, fiddle and muck around!

Huni, thank you! It was me who introduced the faff word to describe what I tend to do!

Arby, Thanks! Your Limes are magnificent. You've taken two colours which, to me, clash and have harmonised them beautifully by adding hints of one into the other. Did you do an underpainting? If so have you got it to post?

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Deborah, thank you! And here is the link to Deborah's "Green without Green" thread.

Ruthie, your parrot is as near perfect as can be. It may be a photo thing, but it looks like the left 'edge' of the parror (our left) could do with some darker values, especially the leg. There is a lot of reflected light there, in the reference photo, which often fools us into thinking the form shadow is lighter than it is. That is the only thing I could find, after looking "with a magnifyer", trying to find what might have made you feel 'not happy' with it (and I may not have found what you felt). Glad you're more satisfied today, as it is a very good painting. Some really good things I think you did was when you toned down some of the brights in the bg, to let the bird shine, and the change of the bowl to a twig is wonderful! The greens are great! (Yes, I'd loose the nut/seed too.) If you do anything at all to it, whatever you do, leave the head alone, it is *great*!

Faffing... :-) Ruthie uses the word, and I think it means the same as 'noodling'. ;-D

Robin, your limes are fantastic, a great use of the principles of pushing and pulling the colours! Very good volume and roundness to them. Up close, on the screen, the different colours catch our interest, and backing up a yard or two shows the structure and 3-D of it. And a good example of how a crop can make a simple set-up much more interesting! And also shows that beauty in a still-life is in the artist's rendering of it, not in choosing pretty objects to paint. Wonderful!

Huni, I used to dread greens... and in Sweden, there is a *lot* of greens in landscapes. You'll "go green" in the blink of an eye, it *is* relatively easy!

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Charlie,
Thank you for the excellent article and exercises on greens. I hope to do the exercises in the next couple of days, work permitting.

Ruthie, Gorgeous bird, I think you did an excellent painting.
The colours are great and I like how you caught the birds pose.

I also enjoyed Robert's thoughts --very informative.

Robin, Beautiful limes and greens. The blue plate is lovely and I like how you painted the light on the plate and the fruit.

Mary
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 AM
South Dakota

Hails from United States

D'oh! I knew there was something I forgot - the underpainting. It's an alcohol wash over turquoise, purple, red-brown and yellow pastel.

Attachment 484423 Attachment 484424

Thank you all for your comments - Don, Ruthie, Mary, and Charlie.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM
South Dakota

Hails from United States

Oops! Did it twice. Sorry!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

I hope to have time to participate in this month's Spotlight, because it's a very good exercise (as someone who also seems to struggle with greens) and because I really want to do the tree frog .

In the meantime, I just had to say that Ruthie, your parrot is to die for! I know we're our own worst critics and all that, but aside from removing the seed/nut in his beak that doesn't add anything to the composition, I can't see anything that looks off to me. You've improved upon the photo by putting him on a branch and changing the background. I'd love to have this hanging on my wall as-is.

ArbySD - excellent! I'm glad you went back and posted your underpainting - the colors you used there were perfect for making the acid greens of the limes pop out and infusing them with subtle streaks of color that transformed an ordinary photo into something with nice visual appeal.

Charlie, nice choice of photos for this and thanks for putting all the time into the explanation and those nifty .gif loops!

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page