WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2001, 12:41 AM
Australia

Hails from Australia
Question To frame or not to frame.

I frame acrylics that are on canvas but I am unsure if it is necessary to frame acrylics painted on masonite.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2001, 10:16 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Depends n the style of your work and where it is intended to be hung.

It is becoming popular to glue 1" x 2's" to the back of the masonite board, and paint them black and hang as is. This for some shows, coffeehouses, etc., on the other hand, I've done most of my paintings on masonite...and they are quite expensive and deserve the best presentation, ie. a good frame. Masonite inserts quite easily into the routed lip of a frame.
-Larry

------------------
The "Artsmentor"
http://www.artsmentor.org

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!" Edgar Degas
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2001, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

It isn't a question of necessity -- you don't have to frame paintings on canvas either. Most paintings just look a whole lot better framed.

Victoria
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2001, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States
Larry:

For your masonite paintings, are they framed behind glass?

I did a few pieces on masonite a couple years ago, but they were incredibly heavy, and glass only added to the problem.

But, airbrush paint layers being so thin, I don't really want to leave the glass off...

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]
artkc.com/russelk.htm
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2001, 03:03 AM
Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks Larry and Victoria,framing does add that finished look.I am trying to talk my husband into taking a framing course. with no luck I shall just start with some of my favorites.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2001, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Gayelyn: Since I paint for my own pleasure and not necessarily to sell, I don't want to (and cannot) frame everything I do. But I have done a couple of paintings where I painted a frame onto the canvas. One I did after the picture was done (needed a frame, but I didn't want to buy a real frame because it was (1) big and (2) a copy of a famous artist's work); and this weekend I painted a frame, and then painted the picture to go with it. They actually look pretty real. Trompe l'whatever.

Victoria
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2001, 02:37 AM
Australia

Hails from Australia
Thumbs up

Thanks Victoria,that's a brilliant idea,and would look great on masonite.You sure learn something new every time on this site.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2001, 08:36 PM
los angeles,california, united states

Hails from United States
when you sell a framed piece of art do you attach the hanging hardware for the customer.I ask because most frames i've bought don't come with the hanging hardware.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2001, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, silverpanda, put the hardware on. If you buy a piece of art from a gallery, it comes with hardware. Every frame I've bought -- whether off the rack or custom-made -- came with hardware (not always pre-attached, but it always comes with it at least).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2001, 12:38 AM

Hails from United States
Thanks i guess i'll be going back to the frame store this weekend.Oh if you don't mind answering one other question,is it just a matter of preference to frame an acrylic or oil painting under glass.I've seen paintings framed both ways,with or without glass
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2001, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, DavidF. I asked that very question here once, and here is the answer I got from Cuttlefish:

Yes, varnished acrylic paintings on paper can be displayed naked. Unvarnished paper surfaces may attract dust and be difficult to clean, so either make sure you have a contiguous varnish surface or glaze your frame. Just make sure you have a thick enough matte to keep the paint away from the glass.
About glass, though-- I'd reccommend using real glass only for framing dry pastel paintings. Plexiglass (and other plastic glass substitutes) is much lighter and more resistant to breakage than glass. The weight advantage is especially valuable with very large paintings. Unfortunately, most plastics tend to hold a static charge which will attract unfixed pigment, like dry pastel. Acrylic should not be framed in direct contact with plastic or glass as unwanted adhesion and compression may occour, especially when subjected to hot lighting conditions.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2001, 10:01 PM

Hails from United States
VictoriaS: Could you explain further why you feel acrylics or oil paintings done on canvas or board should not be placed under glass.I use the various panels made by Ampersand now but have used pre-streched canvas in the past.I only frame my boards under glass to protect them from dust,people smoking,touchy feely fingers etc..Theres a mat between the glass and the painting.Sorry if these are stupid questions i'm still somewhat learning.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2001, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast

Silverpanda: In my opinion, everything looks better without glass. If your acrylic or oil paintings are on canvas or board, you should not use glass. If they are on paper, you could go either way. Pastels and watercolors (on paper) should always be framed with glass and a mat to protect the paper, but with acrylics, the acrylics themselves should be sufficient to protect the paper from the environment.

Victoria
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2001, 01:36 AM
Cambridge,UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Victoria,

When framing Acrylic WITHOUT glass, would you expect to varnish your work to give long term protection, or is this not really necessary?

Thanks
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2001, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Silverpanda:

Those aren't stupid questions. I should not have said that you "shouldn't" use glass. It won't hurt anything if you do use it. It is only my opinion that paintings generally look better without glass -- particularly if there is any texture. That's just my personal preference.

I see you're in L.A. The Getty Center has Van Gogh's "Irises" under glass (I think it's the only oil painting they have under glass). I suppose it's to keep people from touching it. But the effect is kind of like a barrier between you and the painting, and to me it looks peculiar.

I've been using the Ampersand boards, too (I like the Claybord Textured for acrylics). They don't need any more protection than a canvas would. I even saw in one gallery, the artist had done watercolors in Claybord Textured, and they were framed without glass (he just used the Claybord Fixative spray, which Ampersand says you don't need for acrylics). Acrylics are pretty durable. Sure, they can get dirty just like anything else; a coat of varnish will give some protection. To me, though, using glass over oils or acrylics is kind of like putting plastic slipcovers on furniture: Why bother having good furniture if you won't let yourself enjoy it?

But, Silverpanda, I am not an expert. I think you should call a few custom framing shops (not Aaron Bros.!) and ask them what they think and why they think it.

Victoria