WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel WIPs
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 12:48 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
oil pastel wip need composition advice

This is 8x10 on Bristol vellum.
First, the ref photo I took, and the sketch. (Don't know if I can post them at the same time)
(Nope, didn;t work) I soon noticed that the olive oil bottle perspective was skewed because of the photo, but it took longer to realize that the vinegar bottle was also skewed.
BTW the sketch is in pastel pencils.
Attached Images

Last edited by sundiver : 10-06-2002 at 12:51 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:00 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
4th try......Here's the ref photo
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:04 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Now the next stage. I've been smearing away, about 4 layers, and now it's time to go over it with acrylic medium so I can add more layers.
I've straightened out the bottles, but now I'm thinking...that oil bottle, the tall one maybe should be removed altogether.
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:07 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Question

I tried it digitally and got this result.
Is it better?
Do I now need to put something in that hole?
Should I leave it in?
If I take it out, do I have to correct the colors on the vinegar bottle, as it is now no longer next to a green bottle containing yellow liquid?
I could really use your objective eyes and your input!
Thanks in advance!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:09 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Oops, forgot to upload the darn thing! Maybe I should go back to bed.
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 01:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Sundiver...this is looking realllllly good! You have got some great colors and textures going on in this painting and I love the composition. IMHO....I think you should leave the olive oil bottle in. I personally like the tallness of it compared to the other items in the composition. The only thing I can suggest at this point...and you may be going there at some point anyway, is to add more of the table edge in the background behind the basket of onions. Please continue to post your progress on this, I love it!

So for the acrylic medium...are you using the thicker gel medium or the more fluid medium? And how are you applying it....with a brush, palette knife? Are you trying to achieve any texture in using the medium, or more as just a fixative for additional layers? Sheesh...questions, questions, questions!!

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 03:44 PM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States
I agree that you should leave it in. But the perspective seems off. I would taper the sides a little as it goes down. It appears we are looking at it from face on, while looking down on the rest of the piece.

I would also add some warm hues to the same glass vase. And a little stronger on the reflective highlights on it.

It's a lovely painting though!! You've got a wonderful style.

Helen
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 03:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kingston

Hails from Canada
This is looking great. I have a question too. I've heard that you shouldn't mix acrylic and oil paint or even layer it except that an acrylic ground is ok. Does this not apply to oil pastels and acrylic medium? Just wanting to learn more about this.

BTW, I agree that it looks better with the tall bottle left in.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 04:03 PM
A Local Legend
bournemouth dorset

Hails from United Kingdom
Sundiver,leave it in but add about quarter of an inch to the height of the bottle and slightly taper it as charleymano suggested,stll looks good though
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 07:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
I like it better in the pic. I vote you leave in. Nice work here.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 07:54 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Ok, the bottle's still in (thank you for your input!) and I tried to make it clearer that we are looking down at it. There's only about an inch of oil and we can supposedly see the bottom.
It's had a coat of acrylic medium and another layer of pastel.

Karen, because it's all I have in the house that's matte, I used Mod-Podge, that the kids use for collages. It's too thick, thinner would be better (but if you thin it with water it won't work). I put it on with a big soft flat brush and went over it lightly with the brush in a couple of directions to try to eliminate brush strokes and give it some tooth.

Maverick, acrylic medium covers oil pastel just fine as long as you don't thin it with water. You can use it to get additional layers of color, although it becomes more difficult with succeeding layers to get the pastel on. The oiler pastels such as Cray-Pas don't cover as well as, say, Holbein or even some cheapos.
I think the acrylic medium makes a good fixative, too, because the surface becomes acylic, not greasy.

Now it's at the almost-finished-what-does-it-need stage. Advice ?
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 08:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Paducah, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Yummmmmy!! The colors are just luscious...the highlights, perfect, not too much, not too little, and I just love that little hit of the table edge in the background. Gosh...I'd say I'd call this one done! It's mahvelous!

So, do you do anything to the finished piece in terms of fixative? I just saw that Sennelier has come out with a fixative for oil pastels. Believe I saw it on Dick Blick or Dakota.

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. (Stella Adler 1901 - 1992)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 08:47 PM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States
Very nice!!!!

Helen.. clapping wildly
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 03:10 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
IF you are persuaded by everyone to put the olive oil bottle back in (which I agree about, because I think the composition, mostly about circles, needs the contrast of those nice verticals, just in that particular place - one-third of the way in from the right), do look carefully at what is happening to its contents. There is a nice angle where the oil meets the bottle sides, which echoes the angle of the carrot. This is because the bottle is square, and you have it twisted slightly, and are looking down on it. If you get those angles right, the bottle will look right.
Do persevere with this pic, it has a lovely, rich quality. Well done.

Jackie
.................................................. ................

.................................................. ............
do visit my ebay page and auctions

visit my website which has a “troubleshooter” page of helpful pastel tips and hints

Also see my posts in The Artists Marketplace here at WC!

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 10-07-2002 at 03:13 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2002, 08:10 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
...carrot?

Thanks, Helen!

Karen, I'm glad the colors look good to you because on my monitor several are missing, especially the blue-green and purple.
To answer your question about fixing, I have to give it a final coat of medium because the different textures of the pastel and the medium would be too distracting.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jackie!

Now I'm just going to stare at it for a few days before I make changes or decide it's finished.