WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Weave Cover A4 Sketchbook ~ Whatever Whenever

Hi Everyone,

I bought a new A4 Sketchbook which has a grass woven like cover - here is a picture of it - i liked that earthy look about it and so i bought it.

So here is the 2nd/3rd Page of my sketchbook (doing the front cover first makes me feel all nervous and i end up procrastinating getting started, so i always do the second page first and then go back and do something exciting on the first page - so keep watching this space). I call it 2nd or 3rd because I'm not sure if i should use the pages back to back - any suggestions?? if i used colour pencil it may rub onto the next page.

Anyway, so here it is - these three pictures are from this past weekends WDE.

The first picture is of Penelope by Artmutt - what a gorgeous face!!
The second picture is of a Ladybug which i only drew part of the whole picture.
The third picture is of a little toy clown, i only drew the face.
There is a gap in the page i know, i don't know what to do in there, should i write something? draw something else? Suggestions are welcome.

All of them were done with:
Derwent Inktense & Aquatone for the 'under painting'
Derwent Coloursoft Pencils for more colour and intensity
Pitt Pens for some of the details
All in all it took me about 4 hours to do.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Re: Weave Cover A4 Sketchbook ~ Whatever Whenever

Great start Tania. What a great looking sketchbook, can understand how you could not resist buying it. What is the paper like?

Nice colourful WDE drawings. Great shading and shaping esp on the dog and ladybug.

I only ever use on side of my sketchbooks so don't have any advice on which medium might be best to avoid smudging, cross contamination. I am also shocking at page layout and composition. I am here to learn as much as you. Glad to share the journey.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

saw these over at the wde, you did a great job....i am getting close to getting into the wde myself, especially like the idea of doing it and using the journal as well....anyway, i dont know what i am so scared of, everyone is so nice.
again, lovely start to your journal
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Tania, no wonder you couldn't resist the journal! I had a chuckle over the first page thing - that is something I tend to do also You have made a great start thought - well done.

I usually draw on the right side of my sketchbook so there is no transfer of colour etc but in the small A5 book I have been using I threw caution to the wind and have been using both sides because it mostly pen and once the inktense or graphitints are washed they don't seem to transfer. I guess there is no answer for that one - it is going to be a personal preference thing I think!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Good job on those WDE sketches.

I sometimes use both sides, and sometimes only one, depending on what media I'm using. I don't like to work on the back of a buckled watercolor sketch, and I don't a heavy shaded pencil sketch to touch the front anything else. And I just plain like using the right side better. But I also don't like to waste paper so if it's not going to disturb anythng I do try to use both sides.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Hails from South Africa

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I think you're all right, it depends on what media you're using... if it's watercolour or the like it will dry and have no effect of the next page, if it's colour pencil or graphite, it does tend to smudge across. Thanks everyone for the advise
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Tania, your sketches are gorgeous! I'm intrigued by your use of Inktense & Aquatone for the 'under painting and Coloursoft Pencils for more colour and intensity. I LOVE the vivid, deep colors you've gotten this way. I don't have any Coloursoft or Aquatone. May have to get a few individual pencils and try them out.

The woven cover on your journal is beautiful. I can see why you were not able to resist it. I use only the right side when I am doing watercolor because I've had cases where I used both sides of the paper and then decided I liked both of them well enough to want to frame them! That's pretty unlikely for the work in my sketchbook, but I don't actually use the Carnet de Voyage very often, so I'm okay with just using half the surfaces.

On the other hand, my "drawing" sketchbooks, I generally use both sides. I don't do a LOT of pencil work, but when I do, I will usually spray the page with a matt finish fixative when I am through with it. I more often use Inktense or ink or Pitt pens, and I don't have to worry about the color transferring. So basically, it's personal choice.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this sketchbook. Your work is really good!

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tania, that's a great journal. Beautiful first page, so brilliant and strong. I'd put a little text, write in the date of the WDE and who hosted it, a bit about mediums used in what order. That works a little better than trying to find something to draw that'd exactly fit the space.

I use both sides in my All-Media Book, where the paper's heavy enough to take it. I usually just do one side in my cheap sketchbook so that smeary mediums like graphite don't mess up facing pages and ink doesn't seep through into a previous page. I'll use markers in it and juicy pens sometimes, so that worked better. Also, whether it's the pocket size or letter size, the cheap ones are cheap enough I don't feel like it's a big waste to only use one side. It depends on the paper for me.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Beautiful start to a great sketchbook. I can see why the cover caught your eye. The hound is delightful.

I agree with Robert. A little text in the blank space. You could post your references, the date, and your media. I forget to date my sketches most of the time, so I don't remember when I did them. Trying to get better at that. But then, I just looked at my sketchbook and I'm still not doing so.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Great start to your new Journal! I also know about the "first page" thing. It's always terrifying, but I think "Oh what the heck" and just use it anyway. I love your WDE sketches. Yes you could put some text beside the dog if you wanted to, but it's a personal choice because it's how you want the page to look. Very interesting cover to this Journal. I'll look forward to seeing more.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
North Wales UK

Hails from United Kingdom

What a lovely sketchbook, and great start with those drawings, you've got a sensitive approach to the colour and surface mark making with the different mediums. I don't usually put anything on the first page either, except sometimes write something in large colourful letters. I think you'll really enjoy this sketchbook because you'll enjoy picking it up and working in it, its such a nice object.
Xina
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 AM

Hails from South Africa

Thank you all for you kind words & encouragement - i have an idea of my first page & i think i'm going to write in that gap as you've suggested.

Yesterday was a down day for me and didn't get to do anything but hopefully today i can begin in the next page of my sketchbook and i will post again soon.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Oh Tania! Sorry to hear you had a down day and hope you add to your lovely journal again soon
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Love that cover And I like the sad doggy face, too
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2010, 02:31 AM

Hails from South Africa

Thank you all for peeping in.... i think i'm having a down week as everything seems to be such an effort - i think it's the winter blues
But I started feeling better last night, so I drew these two pictures, references from Drawspace - Page 4:

The top right is a little garden ornament, it seems to be made of grass or something with a similar texture that has been coloured.
The bottom - Mushrooms....
it's not complete yet, but just wanted to share the progress.

Derwent Inktense Pencils (Wet & Dry)
Derwent Coloursoft Pencils (Mushrooms)
Derwent Aquatone Pencils (Mushrooms)
Pitt Pens (Mushrooms)
All in all took me about 2.5 hours

PS. I decided to use both pages - i'm going to buy a fixative this weekend so that i can 'seal' the pages and there won't be any smudging... hence in the photo & not so much in reality, you can see little Penelope peeping through the paper from the other side