WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Sunflower Power

I know Digital Pastel work is frowned on in this forum, but I wanted to provide a link for anyone interested in what you can do with digital pastels to take a look at the landscape I did using Corel Painter and its Pastel Brushes and my Wacom drawing tablet. It is painted in the traditional manner starting with a blank canvas. You can view it here on WC in the landscape forum at:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629938

I'm working primarily these days with digital pastels, you can see other examples in my print or art gallery or by checking the threads I've started here at WC.

Thanks.

Last edited by kennychaffin : 07-18-2010 at 03:58 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Sunflower Power

You're right Kenny, only dusty ones here! However, if I move this to Talk...you can talk about them!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast
Illinois

Hails from United States

Kenny,
Enjoyed seeing your digital pastel work, some fabulous pieces. Also took a look at your graphite section -- almost makes me want to jump back to the other side.

Good to see your work -- I always enjoy it.

Nancy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Thank you Nancy! Much appreciated. I'm glad to answer any questions etc.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Thanks for sharing your work with us, Kenny. Your sunflower painting is amazing. I had a Wacom tablet for a while, until my daughter stole it. How difficult is it to learn how to use? Can you use the tablet with PS Elements? How long did it take to paint your sunflower painting? I also enjoyed your graphite drawings.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Doug, it is significantly different to paint with the stylus then with a brush or pastel stick, but the result is extremely similar, in fact in the hands of a better artist than me you'd never be able to tell the difference onscreen.

The Tablet works like a mouse with the significant difference in that it is pressure and tilt sensitive - that means it works like a pen or brush or pastel stick. A light touch produces a thin light line and pressing harder produces darker, wider lines, tilting is like using the edge of the pastel instead of the point, etc.

I sort of lost track on how much time I put into Sunflower Power, but I suspect something like 80....maybe 100.

The Red-Eyed Tree Frog I did pretty much this last week(end) 20 hours or so.

Yes the tablet will work with Photoshop or Painter or other painting/photo programs that support pressure sensitivity.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:19 AM

Hails from England

Kenny...have you also tried real pastels? I appreciate you don't get the dust with yours (really appreciate!)...but you also don't get the pleasure of feeling the pastel forming beneath your fingers!
BTW...your Digi pastel Sunflower picture is powerful and amazing but how do you tell the difference between that and a photo?
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Deirdre*
Kenny...have you also tried real pastels? I appreciate you don't get the dust with yours (really appreciate!)...but you also don't get the pleasure of feeling the pastel forming beneath your fingers!
BTW...your Digi pastel Sunflower picture is powerful and amazing but how do you tell the difference between that and a photo?

If you look, you can see.

Due to the limitations of file size here it is perhaps difficult to see but if you look at my painting side by side with the reference you can easily tell the difference as with any painting done realistically. The reference I worked from is here: http://www.kacweb.com/albums/BestSho...ower-1331S.jpg

your are welcome to put them side by side or overlap them (I've seen you do this so I know you can ) to see the differences.

I have done a lot of oil painting many years ago and fiddled with pastels briefly and may do so more in the future and as you know I do a lot of graphite and a bit of charcoal work. Some similarities to pastels.

Certainly the feel during the process of painting is very different on the computer than with brushes or sticks or pencils, but the software very effectively simulates the application of the pastels (or oils or acrylics or watercolor) to the canvas and other than feel - the process, the pleasure, the method of painting - combining and mixing colors - creating shadows and textures is the same and when displayed on sites such as WC even an expert can't tell the difference in a digitally painted image and a photo or scan of a traditionally painted image.

Now I'm going to turn the question around. Have you ever tried Painter or Painting with Photoshop brushes?

There is a free 30 day trial of Painter available from Corel here:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...3#tabview=tab0

you can paint with a mouse, but it is certainly not as effective as using a pressure-sensitive drawing pad.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Hails from England

Kenny...my efforts with Photoshop brushes, are nearly as good as my efforts with real brushes!! Now, that may scare you....but it shouldn't....they are both BAD!! I'm much better with a pencil or a stick...must be something to do with the way I'm hard-wired!
But I will say this....the pleasure an artist gets when working directly with the materials he/she loves, goes into the painting....and when working with pastel, for me, it's comparable to eating chocolate, my favourite sort!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Deirdre*
Kenny...my efforts with Photoshop brushes, are nearly as good as my efforts with real brushes!! Now, that may scare you....but it shouldn't....they are both BAD!! I'm much better with a pencil or a stick...must be something to do with the way I'm hard-wired!
But I will say this....the pleasure an artist gets when working directly with the materials he/she loves, goes into the painting....and when working with pastel, for me, it's comparable to eating chocolate, my favourite sort!

Deirdre, I would not say that at all...I'm really enjoying what you are doing with the sunset sheep!

I do think that at some point many artists have a style which transcends the medium they work in and is often recognizable whether pencil, paint, or digital.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Hails from England

But Kenny...Sunset sheep hasn't had a brush anywhere near it!!! My point is, I'm no good with furry pencils or sticks!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

But we're TALKING about pastels.

You are using pastels right? Your not secretly doing it digitally are you?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennychaffin
But we're TALKING about pastels.

You are using pastels right? Your not secretly doing it digitally are you?
As if!!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

very surreal image and a complex and daring composition, something that makes the mind work to see what it means, like any good surreal work should do, gets us thinking out of the box.

will never be a digital artist at this point in my life....love the hands on too much, and the tangible connections to the surface. But I'm sure if I was a young artist starting out in these times....I'd sure learn and use it as part of my art world.....even as a dyed in the wool painter, I still find my computer an invaluable part of my art life, both for sharing my work and for doing what I used to do in a sketch book, to test ideas, and even during the painting process, checking out color shifts etc. I would not be the artist I am today without my skills and technology combined...