WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States
World Wide Art Books

I've searched all of WetCanvas about World Wide Art Books with no luck, so I'll bring it up here. I will preface this by saying that I don't hold much credence to people appearing in books, b/c they paid to be there; it's little more grand than that. As a parallel, if Kennedy were to make it a contest with a $40 entry fee, I'd forget that, see the book, and assume people paid the big bucks for the vanity.

I inadvertently bust a fellow adult student's bubble when she mentioned that a nearby artist appeared in a 'best of' book. I replied that just means she (or her supportive husband, as every artist I know is poor these days) paid to be in it. My friend was rather in shock, but I am a cynic.

For equal coverage, I'd like to present this version and I'm curious if you've seen this one. Much like the Kennedy Publishing thread, I received an invitation to jury into International Contemporary Masters several weeks ago; the email didn't have a deadline. It's a pay to publish deal for about $800 for a single page, $1800 for three.

Here are previous editions available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/International-...9472395&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/International-...9472395&sr=1-1

They appear to be beautiful books and they pre-sell the front/back/important pages years in advance.

I believe they found me at a web page I won for placing in a contest. I do not, however, think of myself as an international contemporary master, as I am rather traditional and less than masterful.

However, I am curious about the workings of it, as much as I don't want to be, much like rubbernecking at an accident.

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook : Pastel Society of Virginia]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States
Re: World Wide Art Books

Hmmm

There are a few of them on Ebay also ($21.39).

$800 - $1,800 HOLY COW!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

Yeah, Paula, bucks. I guess one should appreciate that, if anything, about the participating artists. They got it from someplace.

Here's the break down:
PARTICIPATION FEE
A. One page US $ 785.00
B. Two pages the cost is US $ 1,285.00 (unavailable)
C. Three pages the cost is US $ 1,785.00
D. Four pages the cost is US $ 2,285.00
E. Five pages US $ 2,785.00
F. Six pages $ 3,285.00

With also:
FRONT COVER: AVAILABLE 'INTERNATIONAL CONTEMPORARY MASTERS' Volume VI ( Volume 6) US $ 6.800 AVAILABLE !!!
BACK COVER: Volume V (volume 5) US $ 5,800 AVAILABLE !!!
BACK COVER: and VI ( Volume 6) US $ 5,800 AVAILABLE !!!

And also premium first 10 pages:
Page 1 (not available)
Page 2: $2800 available
Page 3: $3800 available
Page 4: $ 2500 available
Page 5: $3.300 available
Page 6: $2.200 available
Page 7: $3000 available
Page 8: $1900 available
Page 9: $2700 available
Page 10: $1600 available

Amazing, all that.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 03:25 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Despina Tunberg, http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...908&ref=search

I did a Google search on her and she is a very accomplished artist, art curator, art books publisher and exhibitions and festivals organizer. This gets more interesting by the minute!

You must be very flattered! Your work is much more traditional than the works in this book, but they are beautiful!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

You're right; she is very active and does know the art side.

I also know that's a pretty penny!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
michigan

Hails from United States

Well, I just received an offer and the prices have increased by $250 for one page. My worry is that the company is an LLC consisting of 3 people who are raking it all in????!!!!! How much exposure really? A neighbor of mine was "delivering ads" for hundreds a month...stockpiled in his garage (!) until he moved and rented a dumpster for 10 years of advertising. World Wide claims that they distribute a thousand free books to "people interested in art"....ok well, I worry how effective is that??? Also they located me through artspan...so who knows, scams are everywhere. What I really would LOVE TO KNOW is what are the most reputable ways to present to designers and other "insider industry types"?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I did too - it came through my website on Artspan. They worded it like this:

I visited your portfolio and I liked your work. You are therefore pre-selected to submit art for inclusion in Volume V of "International Contemporary Masters”, a leading juried annual art publication presenting the most important artists from all over the world!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Ummm, er... how to put it? More like 'I visited your portfolio and I think I can get money from you'... Are the wordings of your emails the same generic one, without any mentioning of specific artwork? It does seem like one of them vanity things.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Yep, vanity advertising. I dug this out of my junk email box
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM
A Local Legend

If you are a 'famous' pastelist, who teaches at the Terry Ludwig workshops, you would want to be included with the 'best artist of the world'!......

by the way, if I took that workshop, would we be working in the 24"x36" format?........

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
If you are a 'famous' pastelist, who teaches at the Terry Ludwig workshops, you would want to be included with the 'best artist of the world'!......

by the way, if I took that workshop, would we be working in the 24"x36" format?........

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Hails from Australia

I have recently received 2 emails titled "Invitation to appear in "International Masters of Photography" and was a bit skeptical.
The identical emails were received by 2 different people but their email accounts are Thomas Tunberg <[email protected]> and Jacob Jenkins <[email protected]>.
Was a bit surprised that a company would be using gmail accounts for their email. Being a bit skeptical but has any one actually used these peoples services?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Long Beach CA

Hails from Australia
Thumbs up Re: World Wide Art Books

I am an artist included in this book, it is the first time I have done this and I am extremely happy with the finished publication. Not only that, I was juried into Red Dot Miami and represented there by World Wide Books, publishers of International Contemporary Masters V - they GAVE away hundreds of books FREE at their booth to galleries and the public. I am also included in an exhibition with other artists from the publication at the Southern Nevada Museum of Fine Art March-June 2012. Yes you can pay for the book and order it from bookstores online and it is not cheap but I have also requested the publisher that books be sent to galleries and other interested parties which they have done at no charge. I might add that artists that appear in the publication can purchase copies at half price from World Wide Books. I am not one to part with money easily and I couldn't be happier with the book and what they offer to artists - I have certainly got my money's worth and it has been worth the great exposure I have received from it!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

Hi,
Your reply is great to see!

I want to be clear, though. The 1) publishers put on additional shows and you were included or 2) you appeared in this book and were found by others putting on shows, so you were included in additional shows that way.

The publishers market you or you are more marketable b/c of the publication?

Thanks for writing,
Bonnie

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Long Beach CA

Hails from Australia
Thumbs up Re: World Wide Art Books

The publishers selected artists that were appearing in the 2012 book and then applied to Red Dot Miami for juried selection. I was one of 10 artists juried into Red Dot Miami, not by the publishers but by the jurors for red Dot Miami. But it was through the publishers that this opportunity was made available to me and it was their booth that I exhibited in - which I might add, Despina Tunberg manned for the entire show. The exposure was fantastic and I have received several inquiries from this.

The exhibition at Southern Nevada Museum of Fine Art, Las Vegas is also juried and this is done by the Despina Tunberg (it is also curated by her) - it is open to all artists appearing in the 2012 publication of International Contemporary Masters. They have selected 3 of my paintings for this exhibition, so I am very happy!

I guess you have to weigh it up - how much do you spend on advertising and marketing each year and if you can afford a little extra for greater exposure. Oh, and you can make monthly payments to World Wide Books which also helps. Personally for me, I have found World Wide Books great to deal with in every way, they are a well organized team, helpful, they care about their image and about the artists involved with them.

I am told the book will also be available at Red Dot New York - I have only just received my copy of the book for 2012 and I am thrilled with it! I have also opted for a 2 page spread in the 2013 book.

Sallie-Anne Swift
Artist / Graphic Designer http://sallieswiftart.com